The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 28, 2020, 06:10 PM   #1
taylorce1

Next Suppressor suggestions please!

I pick up my first two suppressors an Omega 300 and Sparrow on Monday, that is if the shop is still open here in CO. I'm already looking at the next suppressor/s to purchase. I'm kind of interested in a dedicated .223/5.56 suppressor, but that shouldn't be an issue to find the one I like.

My issue is when it comes to larger than .30 caliber suppressors. I want one to handle larger calibers up to and maybe eventually over .375. Specifically I need one that can handle the .375 Ruger/H&H and .338 WM cartridges. I've been looking at the Bowers Vers 375 it will definitely handle the WM, Ruger or H&H, but it doesn't allow me to add a larger bore. I don't want to get into .50 BMG cans because of the weight, so what other options are out there for me?
Old March 28, 2020, 07:35 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Buy what makes sense now, such as a .338 can, and get the large bore if and when it is needed.
Get the Vers 375, Harvester 338, etc.
Down the road, grab a Vers 458, Vers 475, ...whatever it is that fits your needs.

I'd love to give a glowing review of my Vers 475 right now. But I haven't shot it yet!
I think it's been here for a month.
Old March 30, 2020, 07:22 AM   #3
jpx2rk

I have a Harvester Hybrid 30 cal, and use it on 20 & 22 cal so far as I don't own a 30 cal at this time. Makes a 204R sound and recoil like a mouse fart (per range buddy). Very versatile suppressor. I bought with the intention of being able to swap it out easily, and capable of using on a wide range of calibers.
Old March 30, 2020, 11:13 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Makes a 204R sound and recoil like a mouse fart (per range buddy).
I can second that.
I recently picked up my second Harvester .300. I run them on everything centerfire, .30 caliber or smaller.

I was testing some .17-223 loads last time I was out, and attached the new Harvester .300 for some of it.
Nearby observers said it sounded like a .22 LR.
Recoil, there was not. I will say, however, that that rifle weighs something like 13 pounds, empty. So, it had a sizable head start into the 'no recoil' front.

The swap, swap, swap of suppressors... Not a fan.
If I could afford it, I'd have a dedicated suppressor for every firearm and AR upper.
Old March 30, 2020, 06:12 PM   #5
jpx2rk

While a dedicated can for each firearm would definitely be nice, I'm not willing to spend the $$ and endure the "jail time" associated. It would be nice tho.
Old April 14, 2020, 04:03 AM   #6
Eight_is_enough

For your .223/5.56 I don't think you can beat the Banish, either the Banish 223 or the Banish 30. The 30 in its 7" mode is not quite as quiet with .223 bullets as the Banish 223 is, but the 30 is just as quiet in its 9" mode, and, of course, gives you the option of shooting up to .30 caliber, whereas the Banish 223 cannot be used on bullets larger than .223. The 30 breaks down into a 7" suppressor and a 2" extension. Very cool for hunting.
Old April 15, 2020, 04:14 PM   #7
taylorce1

Well I wish I could tell you I'm loving my suppressors, but I can't even go get them. The guy I bought them off of is an "at risk" individual, so he's basically closed up shop until the governor lifts the stay at home order. No big deal, it's just delayed my purchasing another suppressor. I purchase my first two right before the government shutdown which delays the process, then the whole world shuts down and delays me from picking them up. Seems all I have is bad luck.
Old April 15, 2020, 05:43 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I feel your pain.
My latest has been sitting in the safe since I picked it up.
The kids were sick when I picked it up. Dragging sick kids to the range didn't seem kind or fun. They remained sick until the coronapocalypse hit.
We've all been stuck here, since...