The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 29, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
AID_Admin

A good replacement for Hoppie's 9 with less smell?

I searched the forum for an answer to this question, but either I am not good at research or this question wasn't answered directly... Here is my situation. I am on the range weekly and clean my revolvers a few times per months. Every time I do it entire house smells like Hoppie's 9. While this is not a horrible smell, people who live with me do complain. Using ionizer doesn't help much. Keeping windows wide open is not an option on the midwest during the winter.

Therefore I am looking for a product comparable to Hoppie's 9, but with less smell. No smell would be ideal, but I imagine such thing does not exist. Thus, is there anything out there which provides similar cleaning results to Hoppie's 9, but with less smell? Thank you.
Old December 29, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2
MoGas1341

M-PRO 7 as I remember doesn't have much scent to it. A friend of mine in the Marines keeps it in his range bag because his Hoppes cap was loose and spilled in his old range bag while in transport and he couldnt stand his bag 'stinking up his truck'! lol So he bought a new bag and solvent and swears by it. Hope this helps.

Here is a link to it from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...prod23147.aspx
Old December 29, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
PetahW

I would clean my guns @ the range or in it's clubhouse, before I'd give up the aroma of Hoppe's No.9....

Old December 29, 2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Billy Shears

I use #9 as air freshener in my truck. Probably killing brain cells, but I love that smell.
Old December 29, 2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Psychedelic Bang

I'm not sure I smell anything.. But I grew up in NYC - even left NY way back in 2002/2003...

Still can't smell a damn thing...
Old December 29, 2013, 11:29 PM   #6
MoGas1341

Quote:
I use #9 as air freshener in my truck. Probably killing brain cells, but I love that smell. Billy Shears
Haha! Absolutely, The smell of #9 reminds me of my childhood! I would almost use the stuff for cologne!
Old December 29, 2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Sevens

My answer is the same as last time, get them ladies SHOOTIN'!!!! They may love it and it'll be hilarious when they out-shoot you!

Yeah, sorry, I know that's not helpful advice. I do know that they offer all kinds of enviro-friendly and "less" and/or unscented things these days. I just don't use any of them, and I am also hopelessly addicted to Hoppes#9.

Many of us are addicted to it, and there's at least a handful of "silly" in this addiction, as I may be missing out on BETTER products. But I suppose that I just seem to do well enough with what I know, so with Hoppes#9 I go.

Good luck!
Old December 30, 2013, 12:12 AM   #8
armsmaster270

I just splash some #9 on the bench for the smell and clean my guns with Breakfree CLP or Froglube.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:03 AM   #9
RodTheWrench

I like Hornady OneShot for most general cleaning, doesn't smell as strong as old #9.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:31 AM   #10
hoghunting

If you're using jacketed bullets try Wipe-Out - a foaming cleaner - or Patch-Out, the same cleaner but in a liquid. No odor and does a great job, no brushes or scrubbing just spray it or wet patch it in the barrel and cylinder, leave it overnight as it doesn't contain ammonia, then patch it out the next day. Very simple and easy. Haven't used it on any of my nickle plated firearms so I would not recommend leaving the solvent on them overnight.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:48 AM   #11
Frankv64

M-pro 7 here. I clean my guns right after I shoot them and it works great with very little smell
Old December 30, 2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Homerboy

Guns don't feel clean to me unless they smell like Hoppes. I sometimes use other cleaners, M-Pro 7 being one of them, but always follow up with a quick swipe of Hoppes. Hoppes makes an identical product to M-Pro 7 called Hoppes Elite Bore Cleaner.
Old December 30, 2013, 06:11 AM   #13
4runnerman

I am with the others here. Hoppes is air freshener. Been a smell I have gotten used to now for 40 plus years. Guns and Hoppes are like,,, Peanut Butter and Jelly.
Old December 30, 2013, 06:50 AM   #14
longranger

Hoppes #9 is not what it used to be, it is no more than scented kerosene.Marginal at best for actually cleaning lead or copper fouling just OK for powder fouling.Many, much better products with more or less volatile vapors.
Sweets is as benign as any with some decent cleaning properties. With the all the new gilding metals that are used in modern jacketed bullets it is tougher than ever to get that fouling out not to mention new and different powders. I strictly use Montana Extreme for cast lead and jacketed bullets(2 different solvents)nothing I have used nothing that cleans more effectively or faster,follow directions and have perfectly clean bore.
Old December 30, 2013, 06:59 AM   #15
4runnerman

Longranger- Montana Extreme is what I used to use for years as recommended by a guy I shoot matches
with. Then another guy mentioned Bore Tech.
As it was put to me I will put it to you.
Clean your rifles the best you ever have with Montana, Then when you think it is baby butt clean, Run a patch with bore tech down it. You I am sure will see what I did. Montana missed a lot. Patches will come out just dirty as can be. I was amazed at how much better Bore Tech worked. I still use Montana Bore conditioner before I put them away, But all else has gone to Bore Tech.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:08 AM   #16
Old Stony

The only thing that smells better than Hoppe's is wet Labrador. Stick your head in my safe and it smells like a mystical place.....No I don't keep the Labrador in there too!