The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Primer question for .223, urgent

Hey guys, I am scratching my head here. I bought alot of Lake City brass, already cleaned, trimmed, primed, etc. Shot'em, so now it is my turn to do the primers. I have read through alot of my cookbooks to use small rifle, but with Remington, to use 7 1/2. But some other books tell you to use small rifle, Remington 6 1/2. Or, they just tell you to use small rifle. I am at a huge loss here. I am shooting the .223 in an AR and Mini-14, so I know there is a difference with primers because of the slamming from these two rifles vs. a bolt action. Anyhow, help is greatly needed. As always, tipping my hat off to of all you and your opinions.
Old December 12, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I think the 7 1/2 is considered a magnum primer. It is a little hotter than the 6 1/2 and has a thicker cup. You can probably use it with the standard listed loads with out a problem (I use most magnum primers and have never seen overpressure signs). You could back your load down 5% to be safe, I personally would not bother. But then I hardly ever use max loads so it is not an issue.

The 7 1/2 may prevent potential pieced primers in semiautomatic guns.
Old December 12, 2009, 08:22 PM   #3
jepp2

The 7 1/2 is a bench rest primer, not a magnum. The 6 1/2 is normally not used in higher pressure rounds like the 223. At least my manuals never show the 6 1/2 for 223, but do show the 7 1/2. I either use the Rem 7 1/2 or the CCI 41 primer for my AR needs.
Old December 12, 2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Tim R

The Rem 7 1/2 primer is a bench rest primer. I use a lot of these for my match tuned AR Service Rifles. As Jepp said they are not mag. primers.

I also found CCI BR's are simular to the 7 1/2's and can pretty much switch from one to the other without much of a change in my rifle dope.

I also found the Federal SR gold match primers don't stand up to my standard match load as they pierce.
Old December 12, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Memnok

I do not have any experience with the 6 1/2's, but I have been doing a lot or research on reloading 223 for a semi-auto rifle. I read that the 6 1/2's have a softer cup and therefore are more susceptible to slam-fire in a rifle with a free floating firing pin, such as the AR. It was recommended that the 7 1/2's be used, or the CCI 400's and CCI #41's. The 41's have a thick cup designed especially for use in AR's.

Years ago I did lots of reloading for my Glock .40, and I'm now getting back into the hobby for the 223. I have been hearing good things about Wolf primers, so I ordered some 223 small rifle primers from Powder Valley. Like the CCI 41’s, they are made especially for 223. Three thousand of them arrived in the mail two days ago, so I hope they are as good as I hear!
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 12, 2009, 11:42 PM   #6
snuffy

The remington 6 ½ primers are not to be used in .223 ammo!!!! AT ALL!

They are made for the .22 hornet and other low pressure rounds. Using the 6.5 will result in pierced primers, leading to damaged bolt faces, or in the case of my contender, the firing pin bushing was fryed.

The 7½ is made for the .223, it is both a benchrest AND some say a magnum primer.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 13, 2009, 12:10 AM   #7
steve4102

The 6 1/2 primer is designed for very low pressure cartridges like the 22 Hornet, they are not to be used in the 223, any 223.
The 7 1/2 is Bench Rest primer and is also considered a Mag primer.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

From Remington's web site.

In rifle cartridges, the 6-1/2 small rifle primer should not be used in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington or the 223 Remington. The 7-1/2 BR is the proper small rifle primer for these rounds.

http://remington.custhelp.com/app/an...imers/r_id/166

Old December 13, 2009, 12:18 AM   #8
80viking

you should be able to use any small rifle primer in the .223 as long as you follow the rules, work your way up and watch for the pressure signs, some loads that were developed in cold weather may be too hot in warm weather, I use magnum primers with ball powders regardless of the caliber, I've seen several instances of poor or erratic ignition of ball powders in med. to large rifle cases, hope this helps
Old December 13, 2009, 12:26 AM   #9
steve4102

Quote:
you should be able to use any small rifle primer in the .223
Not really, the Remington 6 1/2 will not handle the pressures of the 223. Pierced primers are a bad thing, use the proper primer and avoid the hassles. Leave the 6 1/2 primers for the Hornet guys.
Old December 13, 2009, 12:42 AM   #10
80viking

I agree with your advise, but if you were a good boy and worked up your loads carefully wouldn't you be able to use the rem. 6 1/2 and see the normal pressure signs but max out at a much lower pressure?.....just curious
Old December 13, 2009, 01:10 AM   #11
alwayspackin1

dude!!

this sucks!

I have about 300 rounds that I have loaded for my .223 using 6 1/2's!

moreover, I bought a brick of a thousand, and I don't even own a 22 hornet..

i loaded them very conservatively, just above starting loads, however in an attempt to conserve powder.

do you think i could shoot a couple and look for primer piercing? or should i buy a bullet puller?

this thread just meesed up an otherwise good saturday....
Old December 13, 2009, 01:55 AM   #12
medalguy

Slow down!

You should be able to sell the primers locally on Craig's List or some other medium. They will sell.

This also points to the need to read, read, read before starting to reload. We see almost daily guys who want to jump in and start reloading on a progressive press without really knowing what they are doing. That's not to say us old timers have never made any mistakes, we all have. But it's still important to read and know what you're doing before jumping in. Many years ago I loaded a bunch of .30 carbine without realizing the importance of trimming the brass after EACH firing. That was my introduction to mass bullet pulling and live primer removal. It was the only way to safely shoot that ammo.

Take your time, and my suggestion would be to do what I do when working up a new load: load 10 rounds and see if they shoot OK, then work your way up in increments of 10 rounds and watch each group for pressure signs and anything else that looks abnormal. Use a chronograph to see what kind of velocity you are getting and use that information to help determine the final load you want.
Old December 13, 2009, 01:06 PM   #13
steve4102

Quote:
i loaded them very conservatively, just above starting loads, however in an attempt to conserve powder.

do you think i could shoot a couple and look for primer piercing?
What's the load?
Old December 13, 2009, 02:17 PM   #14
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I've never had a slam fire or a pireced primer in my AR-15 or either of my Mini-14's but I use mostly CCI and Federal small rifle primers and I always keep the pressure relatively modest. I know that even the "nonmagnum" CCI has pretty hard cups. Not sure about Federal.

You mentioned:

Quote:
But some other books tell you to use small rifle, Remington 6 1/2.
Are you sure? As was posted, the Remington website says they should not be used with .223- I assume to protect them from liability when someone decides to overcharge a load. If the book says use 6 1/2, I suspect it probably has a very conservative maximum load resulting in a low pressure round.
Old December 13, 2009, 03:11 PM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
The 7 1/2 is a bench rest primer, not a magnum.
Bingo, and they work very well in my XP-100 in 7MM BR

This from Remington:

X22600 1 1/2 Small Pistol
X22604 2 1/2 Large Pistol
X22625 5 1/2 Small Pistol
X22606 6 1/2 Small Rifle
X22628 7 1/2 Small Rifle BR
X22608 9 1/2 Large Rifle
X22622 9 1/2M Magnum Rifle
XEL22610 9 1/2 Large Rifle (ETRONX™ Electric)
Old December 13, 2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Figured it out

Thanks again for the input. I bought 6 1/2 small rifle primers, and upon my research, the 7 1/2 were the ones to actually use. So I will put the 6 1/2 primers on craig's list or something. I fell like a total blockhead. But, that's why I ask the questions. Will let you all know how they shoot.