The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old December 11, 2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Citywaterman

Primers wasted

I was wondering just as a curious question, is there a way to salvage a good primer that is pressed in to a bad casing? Over time I have inadvertently loaded a prefectly good primer in a cracked or split casing. I always visual check all my casings, but some crack when sizing and it's not noticed until after I press in the primer. It's not the cost, it's just that I hate tossing a good primer. I'm thinking it's probably not worth the effort.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:13 PM   #2
okiefarmer

I'm thinkin' you are thinkin' correctly. It ain't worth it. I would think you would render the primer ineffective anyway by pushing a pin down the center and messing up the anvil/striker area. Better to kill the primer with WD-40 and file 13 it.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Stumper

It is quite easy to pop that primer back out in your decapping die in the press. Wear eye protection, press slowly. I have never detonated a primer in doing this, never visibly damaged one and never had one fail to work when hit with a firing pin. Prudence would suggest using them in practice ammo -not defense or duty loads.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old December 11, 2009, 02:15 PM   #4
JJE

I've de-primed a few on my press and re-used them. Not many and I always hold my breath when I'm pressing them out. If you press it out carefully it doesn't seem to damage the guts.

California Rifle & Pistol Association, SAF and NRA Life Member
Old December 11, 2009, 03:03 PM   #5
snuffy

Geeze! If you don't pop a primer when pressing it in, how do you think it's going to pop when you press it out???!

It's perfectly fine to do it AS LONG AS YOU GO REAL S-L-O-W! Catch the primer, then re-use it, it'll work fine.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 11, 2009, 03:58 PM   #6
awaveritt

I have done it occasionally without incident and they worked fine. +1 to those who said "wear goggles and go slow!!!"
Old December 11, 2009, 04:56 PM   #7
grumpa72

I have pressed out a dozen or so primers by using the suggested techniques. I have never had one pop. I even loaded a primer in sideways and thought "what the heck, let's see what happens in the pistol". I dry fired twice without any pop and then I removed the primer with my press. I reinserted the highly distored primer in the brass properly and it actually ignited when I pulled the trigger. That gave me enough confidence that I wasn't going to pop one by pressing it out gently.
Old December 11, 2009, 05:28 PM   #8
David Wile

Hey Citywaterman,

Add me to the list of those who have removed live primers and reused them successfully. Like the others said, just do it slowly, and make sure your decapper is not oil covered so you do not ruin the primer. By the way, I have been reloading for 50 years and never had any go bang, and never had any refuse to go bang when reloaded again. Take your time and don't get worried.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old December 11, 2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Shoney

I just love to trot out this old poem whever the subject arises.

Removing Live Primers!

Got live primers to save? Take this to heart,
It’s not hard, it’s not an art;

How to remove? you might ask
Always safety first, on this little task;

Goggles and ear plugs; guard your senses;
Put up a board for good defenses;

Recycle those primer, any ol’ way;
For fowling shots, or just for play;

No primers to toss, no brass to pitch;
Just decap the hole on’at son-of-a-b-b-b-b-b---gun!

Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 11, 2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Foxbat

Quote:
I was wondering just as a curious question, is there a way to salvage a good primer that is pressed in to a bad casing?
If you are curious, I can show you my left ring finger, that was opened up like a flower, all the way to the bone, from a primer explosion during such a procedure.

Yes, you can be lucky and never have it explode. You can also get not so lucky. It is YOUR fingers.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:11 PM   #11
David Wile

Hey Foxbat,

Why does your story not surprise me?

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old December 11, 2009, 11:36 PM   #12
spencerhut

I throw them in the grass with my unburnt powder.
Find them later with the lawn mower . . .
Old December 12, 2009, 02:30 AM   #13
DWARREN123

I have deprimed a few cases and just reuse the primer, they have always went off.

Now this is me and if you do not feel safe doing it then don't.
Always use gloves and eye protection when depriming live primers.
Old December 12, 2009, 02:59 AM   #14
Tex S

Quote:
If you are curious, I can show you my left ring finger, that was opened up like a flower, all the way to the bone, from a primer explosion during such a procedure.
I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that. Do you have one?
Old December 12, 2009, 10:51 AM   #15
Foxbat

The 1/2" scar at the tip. But not to worry - a few years later that finger, together with its two brothers, was cut off with a miter saw, at which point the little scar didn't matter any longer.

A moral to the story - when things go right, they go right, and there is nothing to worry about.

It is those times when they do NOT go right that we should be concerned with. Mistakes DO happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finger.jpg (74.4 KB, 108 views)
Old December 12, 2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Sorry to hear about your incidents. But I must say all I do is just keep my digits away from the action of dangerous items when executing an operation.

Ten fingers ten toes and two eyes for me so far *knock on wood*.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 12, 2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Sevens

I'm guessing that a guy who popped a primer and detonated his finger... only to later shear it (and it's buddy) off with a saw... is perhaps NOT the best judge of what is/isn't possible and or safe at the load bench!

Hey, I've done idiotic things and hurt myself also, so I'm not... umm... pointing fingers here. For me, it's hot grease on the stove. My left arm is a horrible sight and it was all my doing.

But yes, I'm one of those who has no reservations about carefully removing a primer from a piece of brass, and using it in a different piece. I've done it countless times over the last couple decades.
Old December 12, 2009, 11:54 AM   #18
Foxbat

Quote:
I'm guessing that a guy who popped a primer and detonated his finger... only to later shear it (and it's buddy) off with a saw... is perhaps NOT the best judge of what is/isn't possible and or safe at the load bench!
Or perhaps it is the other way around. It is often said that you only learn by making mistakes.

And mistakes DO happen, as anyone who has worked with tools for many years, will tell you.

Considering I am almost 60 and has been working with machine tools and power tools ever since I was a little boy, I think I have done reasonably well!
Old December 12, 2009, 03:30 PM   #19
Smokey Joe

Another fable rears it ugly head once again...

Okiefarmer--We've been round and round and round about killing primers, over the years, on this and other fora that deal with reloading.

YOU CANNOT KILL 100% OF PRIMERS WITH ANY HOUSEHOLD CHEMICAL. None. Sorry to shout, but this has been experimented with again and again, and discussed ad nauseum.

Oil, WD-40, vinegar, boiling water, windshield washer fluid, you name it, take your pick. Many, most, but not all, primers are put out of commission in experiments. Now, there are chemicals that would surely do the job--fuming nitric acid comes to mind--but chemicals that harsh present a whole new set of dangers and disposal problems.

So if you want to kill a given primer to "make it safe," don't use or recommend WD-40. The priming compound in a commercially made primer is sealed against moisture. That seal is a pretty good one.

Primers are reliably killed at home by either of 2 means: percussion (as with a firing pin in a firearm) or heat (as in a fire).

The few primers I've had occasion to kill, I either put on a rock and hit with a hammer, or, if still in the cartridge case, put the case in a vise, put a nail-set on the primer, and tap that with a hammer. In either instance, USE EAR, EYE, AND HAND PROTECTION WHEN DOING THIS!!!!

While I'm at it: Foxbat--
Quote:
It is often said that you only learn by making mistakes.
It was the late, great, Will Rogers who said that a few men learn by reading, and some men learn by example. But there are those who just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; December 12, 2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old December 12, 2009, 03:47 PM   #20
Foxbat

Quote:
It was the late, great, Will Rogers who said that a few men learn by reading, and some men learn by example.
That means some people will learn by reading this thread, that it is possible to get different outcome.

You are not going to tell me you have never been in a car or any other accident... or are you?
Old December 12, 2009, 04:13 PM   #21
Smokey Joe

Ben Franklin said,

"Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other." (Poor Richard's Almanac, Dec, 1743)

(BTW, by "dear," Franklin meant "expensive.")

--Smokey Joe
Old December 12, 2009, 05:27 PM   #22
Foxbat

I noticed you ran away from my question... I suppose there is the TRUE answer in that!
Old December 13, 2009, 01:32 PM   #23
Shoney

I think it is an accident for me to remind everyone what Forest Gumps mother always said, "Stupid is as stupid does."
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 13, 2009, 02:11 PM   #24
Foxbat

Quote:
Stupid is as stupid does
LOL! I see you still can't forget that I rubbed your nose into your lies!

Twice, actually...

Well, the stupid lies, so next time think twice before lying!

Last edited by Foxbat; December 13, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old December 13, 2009, 02:32 PM   #25
Shoney

Yes I lie, in as much as I am horizontal. Actually ROFL.

Foxblat:barf::
A legend in his own mind!
Closed Thread