The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1
roy reali

Extreme Cold

Well we have finally hit a cold spell around here. The other day it was double digit below zero. This morning I am giddy because the temperature reading is at seven degrees above zero. This leads to my question.

I know that temperature extremes can effect rifle and handgun reloading. Does this also apply to shotshells? I have shotshell reloads that I assembles last summer. They are middle of the road charges as far as pressure goes. Can this extreme cold cause bad things to happen to my shotgun, or more importantly, me?
Old December 11, 2009, 08:06 AM   #2
rwilson452

As the temperature goes down, so does the pressure. You may need to reformulate to get the same result as your present load. Danger? no. The loads will be just a tad lighter. On the other hand, should you load hot loads in winter, they would be hotter in summer.

If you follow published loads you will be safe year round.
Old December 11, 2009, 09:13 AM   #3
hans4811

DOUBLE DIGIT BELOW ZERO !!! OMG !!

I'm looking out my window as I'm typing this and the wall thermometer on my porch says 52 degrees at 9am....should get up to around low 60's....somebody's gotta live up there in that cold I guess..
Old December 11, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Winterhawk56

I wish I could find the article but look on the internet. When temperatures drop to extreme cold the issue is standard primers may not be able to ignite powder completely. Reloading data is for normal conditions and with the article I read it stated using magnum primers to help the ignition in extreme cold weather.

That being said I believe extreme cold was discussed as continuous temperature below 15 degrees, I think? Not totally sure and I believe there are others here that can shed more light on the subject.

Under normal hunting conditions even in cold weather I have not had an issue with ignition and still got the game, of course it was about 25 degrees.

I will also look for the article!

Last edited by Winterhawk56; December 11, 2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old December 11, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
McClintock

52 degrees? Temps in the 60's? Oh, how I wish.

It's been hovering around minus 30 Celsius (about -22 F) this whole past week. Now if that doesn't affect your rifle loads, I don't know what will.

Winters up here suck. Especially when it gets REALLY cold, like around -40 or colder, before you factor in the wind chill. -30 isn't that bad (everything is relative), as long as there is no wind.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old December 11, 2009, 01:15 PM   #6
spacecoast

It was in the 80s here on Wednesday, but today it's all the way down to 69
Old December 11, 2009, 03:05 PM   #7
fishman35

I just posted the temperature use for magnum primer under a recent post. I have cop buddies way up north who swear by magnum primer in winter when it gets below 20 degrees.
Old December 11, 2009, 03:09 PM   #8
riggins_83

The coldest day where I was living at the time (60 miles south of the Canadian border) was -52F + wind chill factor in the late 80's. That was a fun day!

/hijack
Old December 11, 2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Christchild

Like others have already stated, loads that are Hot in the Winter Cold, will be hotter during warmer weather. Likewise, loads that are "what You're looking for" during the warmer months, will be milder in the cold, once the Temp is down passed 20 degrees or so.

I don't load SG, so I can't make an informed suggestion because I don't know what components are available, other than this... If there is a Magnum 209 Primer, use those for Your cold weather loads, and develop those loads in the cold. Either way, if there are or are not Magnum 209 Primers available/in existance, develop Your cold weather loads in the cold. Just be sure to clearly mark them as such, "Cold Weather" or "Warmer Weather" loads.
Old December 11, 2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Jim243

I don't worry about my loads when it gets below 32 F, I don't fire them off in the house and I sure am not going to freeze my buns off.

Jim
Old December 11, 2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Not a problem here in the little hut in the woods. I shoot all year round until it gets below -20. I just keep the coffee pot hot and the hot chocolate handy. Truth is the only thing I change when it gets below freezing is I lighten my BP load from 110 gr to 100 down to 0 and 90 grains when its below 0. I rarely shoot longer than 100 yards in the snow, mostly 50 and shorter in that kind of weather and if I have to make a sight adjustment I will but my loads stay the same. The only thing I do that most people don't is I walk with an empty shot gun or rifle and keep my ammunition in a pocket so its not far from body temp when I load up. Only gun that stays loaded is if I am rabbit hunting using a handgun and then its under my coat in a holster so still not a problem.

I have to admit I get the giggles when people start talking about winter loads when it reaches 42 degrees. My goodness, what will they do if it gets down to 20. That is when I think about pulling out the long johns or my insulated coveralls and I'm a fragile old man.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 11, 2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Winterhawk56

I guess that is why I did not put much stock in the article I read concerning cold climate and magnum primers. The reloading manual is pretty specific and I tend to follow the data pretty closely.

Never had issues with ignition of rounds even when I was station in Alaska. It makes for good conversation though!
Old December 11, 2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Slamfire

Quote:
I have to admit I get the giggles when people start talking about winter loads when it reaches 42 degrees. My goodness, what will they do if it gets down to 20. That is when I think about pulling out the long johns or my insulated coveralls and I'm a fragile old man.
Go to Florida from Dec to Feb. People there are bundled up in layers in 40 degree weather.

After you become acclimatized, your Northern friends will call you a pansy when you complain about the cold.

And it will happen to you....
Old December 11, 2009, 11:21 PM   #14
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Go to Florida from Dec to Feb. People there are bundled up in layers in 40 degree weather.

After you become acclimatized, your Northern friends will call you a pansy when you complain about the cold.

And it will happen to you....
Well my preferred run away spot would be New Mexico/Arizona area, I could live with that. Got the giggles when they closed down the base because of 1/2" of snow and 30 degree day. Some of us got in our cars and went up to Cloudcroft so we could play in real snow. Hmmm, maybe I wouldn't get that kind of acclimated.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 12, 2009, 12:13 AM   #15
elwaynum1

It's 44 degrees right now here in Texas, and I'm freezing!! I don't know know how you do it..
Old December 12, 2009, 12:26 AM   #16
Emerson

Light loads can become quite unreliable in shotguns during the winter. I remember having loaded up a bunch of 7/8 oz loads with Clays just to get rid of a bunch of wads. I was planning on shooting them in a winter trap league. They worked fine until it got in the low 30's. Then they would just make a little "pop" and barely had enough pressure to get the wad out of the barrel.

If your loads are marginal you should test them in the cold to be sure they will work properly before using them.
Old December 12, 2009, 12:54 AM   #17
andrew66

it gets bloody cold in canada, and ive done all kinds of coyote and squirrel hunting, and never have had a problem with rounds not functioning properly. the hardest part about shooting in the cold, is keeping the gun steady while shivering and shaking. And having a glove that keeps ur hands warm and can be used to pull the trigger...
Old December 12, 2009, 12:57 AM   #18
reloader28

We've been at -22 below for 3 days ( +22 today) so I've been in the reloading room alot. (and feeding the fire)
I've reloaded alot of shotshells and have not noticed much difference with temp changes. I know barrel length doesnt really effect speed ,but I guess I never really thought about temp changes with a shotgun.
Might have to test some out tomorrow and see.

(PS....just checked my weather gauge. +35 degrees but with 36.6 mph wind /59mph gusts. Wind chill is +8 degrees.)

Last edited by reloader28; December 12, 2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old December 12, 2009, 04:47 PM   #19
Transbrake

so is there a difference if you shoot in the winter, from a heated area, where all your equipment is warm i.e (gun, shells, powder)? I know the air is more dense in the winter but if you shoot a warm gun with warm bullets will there still be a big difference? Talking about rifles
Old December 12, 2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Duck hunters, deer hunters in the northern latitudes, GI's in N. Korea, Norwegians and Finns resisting Germans during WWII shot and killed when it was below zero degrees Fahrenheit. Their gun actions freezing up was a bigger problem than their ammunition failing.

When I was competing my standard for a shooting day was any day with winds less than 20mph or temperatures above +20F was a good shooting day. It made blue bird days a treat. If I had to adjust I adjusted.

How many here sight old Boomer in their shirt sleeves and then then next time they shoot their gun its at something less than a nice day and something less than a thutty pointer. Good primers are a must because some will fail you when the temp is 22 below comfort zone but for the most point only benchrest shooters and long range snipers have to take into account extreme temperature differences.

Just my 2 cents.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 12, 2009, 05:32 PM   #21
B.L.E.

Here's a link to a web article on this very subject concerning ammo for biathlon competition, it's an interesting read.

http://www.biathlon.net/low_temp.html