The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Ruger or Bersa???

Gunners,

My local pawnshop sells more new than used firearms and they have both the Bersa 9UC and Ruger P89 competitively priced.

Which, in your opinion, is the better buy?

Rmocarsky
Old April 5, 2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Leejack

Don't know much about the Bersa, but the Ruger (discontinued) is one of those old P series guns that helped earn Ruger that "built like a tank" reputation. It's large, but venerable.

I'll vote for the Ruger.
Old April 5, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
paperpounder

The Bersa is a decent gun. I have the UC40 and it's my everyday carry gun.

The finish isn't top notch, but who really cares in a carry gun as long as it's reliable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old April 5, 2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Adamantium

If you never plan on concealing it, get the P series. I had a P90 for a decade or so before upgrading to something else and they are good guns. In some aspects they are great (reliability and simplicity) and in others they are just average (ergonomics and aftermarket support). But in the $250-300 range they are a great buy. Anything more than that and you might as well get a P95 new.

Older P series are as easy to conceal as love handles though, you may think you are getting away with it, but no one else is fooled. Something to think about.

Last edited by Adamantium; April 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old April 5, 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Dakotared

I say Ruger but I know nothing of Bersa
Old April 6, 2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Pukindog12

I vote for the Bersa. I own a 9UC and it is my cold weather EDC. It's a great firearm!
Old April 6, 2012, 01:22 AM   #7
rmocarsky

Gunners,

I made a mistake. It was a Ruger P95.

Sorry

Rmocarsky
Old April 6, 2012, 02:09 AM   #8
TennJed

I had a P95. I did have to send mine off for some FTE issues. I don't think that is by any means comman with this gun. Ruger's CS was top notch though. Sent me a UPS slip. I dropped it off (no charge) and had it back in 3 weeks. Ran great after that.

I did sell it though, just because it was too large for me and never felt right in my hand. It was well made, accurate, and before and after I sent it to Ruger it feed everything I feed it fine. I have small hands though and I think it was just not made for me.

I say shoot the P95 if you can first (I could not). If it feels gun in your hand you will be getting a fine weapon
Old April 6, 2012, 03:18 AM   #9
Sparks1957

I'm a fan of the Bersa 9UC myself. I think you should try it out.

It's a bit more compact and less clunky with nice ergonomics. The Ruger is certainly a reliable design as well, really comes down to which feels best in YOUR hands.

Last edited by Sparks1957; April 6, 2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old April 6, 2012, 04:51 AM   #10
Leejack

Ah, it's a P95! Large gun with slide mounted safety, great value and good reputation.

Same thing, if it feels good in your hand, you're good to go.
Old April 6, 2012, 07:09 AM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
My local pawnshop sells more new than used firearms and they have both the Bersa 9UC and Ruger P89 P95 competitively priced.

Which, in your opinion, is the better buy?
Depends. What are they asking? What do you want it for?

Out in the market, they're roughly comparable.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; April 6, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old April 6, 2012, 07:52 AM   #12
jhenry

Ruger all the way in this case.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

They're both good guns, with similar reputations for durability and performance. Bersa just doesn't have the big following -- but slowly seems to be gaining in people's regard.

See which feels better in your hand and, with the gun shop's approval, dry-fire both to see which has the better trigger. Then decide.

I've had a Ruger P95; it was a good gun. (The P95 looks kind of bulky, but its more apparent than real. If you check measurements, it's not as big as it looks.)

For a bit more you could probably buy a NEW Ruger SR9 or SR9c, which I'd rather have.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:30 AM   #14
gator1gear

Bersa by a long shot for me. I carry the 40UC
Old April 6, 2012, 09:31 AM   #15
baccusboy

Depends on your use, but I would be happy with either one. I'd rather carry the Bersa.

I also echo that I'd rather have an SR9C, though.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:37 PM   #16
graysmoke

I'd go with the Ruger 9mm....Bersa make a better .380 caliber pistols.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Pinky Carruthers

Bersa. I have 4 Bersas. Three 9mms and one .22. Excellent pistols for the price. One 9mm is in my carry rotation.
SOM
Old April 6, 2012, 07:56 PM   #18
cavediver27

Ruger by mile! Bersa leaves much to be desired in quality and service. Not to mention that Ruger is made in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 6, 2012, 08:04 PM   #19
Sparks1957

Quote:
Bersa leaves much to be desired in quality and service
Is that based on your experience, or are you just repeating something you heard or read on the Internet, so it must be true?

Quote:
Bersa make a better .380 caliber pistols
Many Bersa owners consider the 9mms to be Bersa's best... they may be best known for their .380s, but the Thunder UC and HC series are good quality guns
Old April 6, 2012, 08:26 PM   #20
JJW

I have to go with the Bersa. I looked at the Ruger SR9C and the Bersa BP9cc and went with Bersa. I preferred the feel of the Bersa and the fact that the Bersa does not have a safety to worry about in an emergency situation. Customer service is about the same. My nephew had one of the small Ruger 9's (not sure which model) and had to send it back to Ruger twice. Still had FTF problems and got rid of it. However, every thing manufactured by man is subject to an occasional problem. I have 2 Bersas and have not had the first problem with either one.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:11 PM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
I preferred the feel of the Bersa and the fact that the Bersa does not have a safety to worry about in an emergency situation.
Ah, but the Bersa in question is the 9mm Ultra Carry. Functionally the UC is pretty close to the Ruger -- DA/SA auto with a manual safety that also decocks and a double stack magazine.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; April 7, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:18 PM   #22
rmocarsky

Gunners,

OP here (Rmocarsky).

The man at the pawn shop let me hold and dry fire both, and I gotta tell ya, he Bersa (for me) feels oh so natural. Hands down more ergonomic than the Ruger.

But, as was said here, Rugers are American made, and are reknowned for their strength in the P-series.

But that UC9 feels awful good.

Use would be night-stand.

I live in Maryland and getting a CC license is next to impossible for me, being an average Joe.

Rmocarsky
Old April 7, 2012, 12:27 AM   #23
bdb benzino

I have had a Bersa HC Pro 9, a Bersa UC Pro 9, and a Bersa 380 Thunder CC, and all three were excellent and flawless shooters right out of the box. I regret ever selling the UC 9, my wife shot that thing great!
Old April 7, 2012, 05:51 AM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Kit is hard to beat the Ruger for reliability and if you do have any issues, they stand behind their products with great customer service.

The only draw back to the P95 is that it isn't a gun that is easy to conceal as an every day CCW piece.
Old April 7, 2012, 07:35 AM   #25
Sparks1957

Quote:
that UC9 feels awful good
That's the way us Bersa fanboys feel about them. The Thunder 9UC fits my hand like no other handgun I own, very nice ergonomics.

Consequently, I shoot very well with it.