The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 10, 2009, 06:12 PM   #1
bwana50

Holster options

Comments and some questions... I've started looking for a holster for concealed carry (for a P229). Thus far I have a Galco Concealable and a Fobus Roto paddle holster. I like the Galco because it carries the pistol closer to my body, and I tend toward traditionalism (guns should be metal, holsters should be leather, etc.). However, I think the plastic Fobus seems to release more cleanly. Paddle is easier to attach/remove, but I don't foresee doing that often during the day, so I doubt that's an issue. Also, I can see where the leather would eventually wear down the finish on the slide.

So -
- I'm curious about others' opinions on the matter of paddle vs belt. Looking solely at OWB types at this time.
- What's the consensus on which material is more wearing to the gun's finish, plastic or leather?
- Any recommendations on other types/brands I should try out?
Old February 15, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
btolliverjr

If you are set on OWB carry and especially if you have chosen to go with kydex, IMO you can't beat the Blackhawk CQC holster.