The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 7, 2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Misssissippi Dave

Boring P250 Range trip

I recently got a .45 sub compact kit for my P250. I went to the range to try it out. No jams. No malfunctions. Recoil was not much different from the .45 full size and compact configurations. Accuracy is also on par with the full size and compact which is very good if I do my part. I even fed it a steady diet of my reloads. My reloads are Montana Gold 185 grain jacketed hollow points with 5.2 grains of WST powder. There is only one complaint I could come with. I prefer a larger grip. I like using the large grip you can purchase for all other sizes. They just don't make a large grip for the sub compact. The largest one is a medium. I might consider getting a handall grip to increase the distance around the grip later.

That is about it. Now you can tell why it was boring.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:54 AM   #2
wnycollector

I like boring when it comes to a pistols reliability and accuracy. I'm thinking of picking up a full sized P250 .45. I just love how that pistol fits my hand, plus 10+1 rounds of .45 is comforting strapped to ones hip.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

There isn't much difference in the feel and accuracy between the full size and compact. One round difference in the magazine. I often mistake one for the other when both are at the range at the same time until I run out of ammo a bit early. Both tend to be just as boring. The .45 is the only caliber I have all three sizes in. The recoil is less than I expected since this is a polymer. I like getting the kits since they only come with night sights if I ever need to use them. The full size magazine will work in all three. The smaller sizes will have the magazine sticking out the grip but it still works. For some reason I prefer to use the 6 round magazine only in the SC. 10 plus one, 9 plus one or even 6 plus one is a lot of lead to put down range with a .45.

If you have large hands, the large grip you can get for $45 makes a difference, at least to me. I expect to still be shooting the P250 many years from now.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; October 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4
wpsdlrg

Oh, my gosh ! How could you possibly like that horrid DAO trigger on the P250 ? The P250 is such a POS....that Cohen guy has so destroyed Sig Sauer........blah blah blah.

I just thought I'd get all of that HORSE POOP out of the way, before any of the P250 haters happen across this thread.

Boring is GOOD. I assume that you hit what you aimed at - since you didn't mention accuracy problems (and the P250's tend to be very accurate). I'm glad that you like your P250. I REALLY like mine, though mine is a 9mm.

I am toying with the idea of getting a SC kit, but undecided, due to the short grip. I am also toying with the idea of getting a spare C frame...and removing the rail (I don't like rails).

I am also toying with the idea of getting an SC kit, then adapting a C frame to work with it. Then I'd have an SC upper, with it's shorter barrel & slide, but a C grip (and C magazines, which I already have).

Anyway, I really like the P250. I am very comfortable with it, so I am very accurate with it. Great gun, IMO.

Glad that you are enjoying yours, too.
Old October 7, 2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Technosavant

From what I've read there's no real adapting needed to mix and match the frames and slides... you could well toss a SC slide/barrel onto a compact frame and go for it.

I have all three sizes in 9mm and conversion kits in full size for all the other calibers. IMO, the compact size just feels the best in my hand; it just seems to balance better than the full size while filling my hand better than the subcompact.

Shooting these things is indeed boring... just feed/shoot/extract one round after another, one shot after another, holes appearing in the target as they should...

There's folks out there who won't ever give it a chance and others who will never acclimate to the DAO trigger, but the bugs have been worked out and the P250 is a great platform.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

Of the first 6 rounds I fired I wasn't paying much attention to accuracy. Of the next 12 shots I do recall them creating a hole in the paper about 1-1/2 to 2" in diameter at 8 yards. For me, that is not too bad. I am certain someone with a better shooting ability will be able to keep them closer together. For self defense purposes, it should be good enough. I guess I should open the group up a bit more to affect a greater number of organs. For conserving paper smaller holes work better. Just place another round sticky on a clean piece of the paper and you have another target using the same paper.

I did mention the accuracy was good. The pistol is capable of greater accuracy than I am.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:55 PM   #7
jimbob86

Now you can tell why it was boring.

OK.....

I dry fired one once..... paint could dry in the time my brain said "squeeze" and the time that trigger let go. It was that underwhelming, too.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
wpsdlrg

"OK.....

I dry fired one once..... paint could dry in the time my brain said "squeeze" and the time that trigger let go. It was that underwhelming, too."

Well then, it's best you didn't buy a P250. You can just leave it to those who can handle it.
Old October 7, 2012, 10:44 PM   #9
TennJed

Quote:

OK

I dry fired one once..... paint could dry in the time my brain said "squeeze" and the time that trigger let go. It was that underwhelming, too.
Well, why did you buy one then? Odd thing to do IMHO.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:50 PM   #10
jimbob86

Never said I bought it, or even fired it. Was not interested in turning money into noise when I have several other pistolas that can turn money into hits, and rapidly.......
Old October 8, 2012, 04:49 PM   #11
wpsdlrg

Ah, so your purpose in posting in a thread in which you had no interest (because you obviously have no interest in the P250).....was just to be a troll..... was it not, jimbo ?

I thought so.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:55 PM   #12
TennJed

Quote:
Never said I bought it, or even fired it. Was not interested in turning money into noise when I have several other pistolas that can turn money into hits, and rapidly.......
Pardon my confusion, I assumed you had more experience than one dry fire tigger pull since you were posting about the gun.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:39 PM   #13
RamItOne

Took a greenhorn shooting a lil over a year ago, had several guns with me, he hated the P250 pull. He got hooked on shooting (not because of the P250) he's got an SA 1911, HK P30 and a PPQ. Now he's gotten to really like the P250 and always asks to shoot it.

For the posters (not just this thread) that flame the trigger pull as being too long or too hard I'd hate to think what would ever happen if a real SD situation occurs and you had to use any physical strength towards the aggressor. Better start hitting the weights, get that index muscle built up

Congrats on the exchange kit. I've been thinking about getting the exchange kit for SC in .357. Currently have the C .40, on the other hand winter is coming and my joints may not be able to handle that "horrible pull", better stick with my 4# sig 1911
Old October 9, 2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Pianoguy

I have a P250sc in 9mm and can't really find a reason to buy anything else to replace it. 12 rounds in a very concealable gun, 100% reliable, fires anything I put in it, I like the DAO trigger no matter what anybody else says - it is the guns safety, the old story about LE agencies not picking it or whatever just seems to be irrelevant for the average joe in the street, super easy to take down and clean, etc. Just a nice gun for the price. If I wanted a non-1911 45 I'd certainly look at one of these first.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:18 AM   #15
Technosavant

Quote:
the old story about LE agencies not picking it
I've yet to ever hear one single piece of information about WHY the P250 failed the test that folks keep bringing up. The reasons were never disclosed.

Anecdotal evidence from owners indicates that the P250 is a very reliable gun. You just don't see threads like "My P250 won't feed/extract!" Doesn't happen... I've just never seen those threads. The trigger isn't for everybody, but it's probably about the best DAO trigger on the market... if somebody is coming over from revolvers they'll REALLY like it. If a person wants to master the trigger he/she will likely quite like the P250. If a person doesn't, well, that's why they make more than one model of gun... there's likely something else out there that will serve him/her better, and chances are some of us won't like it... that's just fine.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:18 AM   #16
RamItOne

Oh yeah
Air Marshall's are using the P250c .357 sig
Old October 9, 2012, 08:52 PM   #17
Misssissippi Dave

I thought I was finished getting P250 kits. I might have to look a little closer at the 9 mm SC. These things seem to multiply pretty fast if you are not careful.

I do have a few. 9 mm full and compact. .45 full, compact and Sub compact, .40 and .357 in compact only. This was my first venture into the Sub Compacts. I can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't try one sooner. I only have two trigger assemblies. The rest were kits.

Most people that flame the P250 either had a very early model or probably never shot one. There is also the group that never learned trigger control as a part of shooting pistols. The last ones tend to hit the ground in front of the target then complain that the pistol is defective. I also like shooting single action. Double action practice tends to help my ability to shoot single action better.

My interest started after hearing and reading about this kit concept and possibly getting 4 calibers (now 5) and reasonably priced kits to change not only the caliber but size too. Grips that come in small, medium and large. I would not have to ask people if they think the feel with a certain grip might be larger or smaller than the one it came with. I do have the compact .40/.357/9 mm grips in all sizes. I also got the large for the full size .45. A low price makes it even better. I only have one other center fire pistol that is a polymer. I'm kind of new to polymers in general (only a couple of years).

When there is another ammo shortage I should be able to find something on the shelves to fit one of them. I do load 9 mm and .45 as well.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; October 9, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:21 PM   #18
Oysterboy

I have a P250c 40sw and I love it. The trigger's no problem.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:02 PM   #19
wpsdlrg

"From what I've read there's no real adapting needed to mix and match the frames and slides... you could well toss a SC slide/barrel onto a compact frame and go for it."

You are right....up to a point. The SC slide (and barrel, of course) are shorter than the C (slide and barrel). So, the (front end of the) C grip frame will be too long for the SC slide (to be flush with the end of the slide). So, I would need to shorten the front end of the C frame. That is what I meant by "adapt".

Certainly, from a purely functional point of view, most any of the barrel/ slide combinations can be assembled onto any of the grip frames (and function just fine), I believe. However, they may not look correct, in some cases.

At any rate, I probably won't get an SC kit for this, after all. I have no interest (unlike many P250 owners) in changing calibers.....so it seems a waste of money now. What I WILL probably do is get a spare C size grip frame, remove the rail.....and do a custom paint job on it. Then, just swap in my FCG, barrel and slide assembly. Then, I might similarly modify the original grip frame, only with a different look.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:52 PM   #20
Oysterboy

I'd like to get a full size X-change kit in 45 acp for my compact 40.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:12 AM   #21
jimbob86

Quote:
For the posters (not just this thread) that flame the trigger pull as being too long or too hard I'd hate to think what would ever happen if a real SD situation occurs and you had to use any physical strength towards the aggressor. Better start hitting the weights, get that index muscle built up
It's not the weight of the pull that put me off, but the length...... I guess having a very long squishy pull is one way to get that "suprise break".....
Old October 11, 2012, 09:41 AM   #22
Technosavant

Quote:
It's not the weight of the pull that put me off, but the length...... I guess having a very long squishy pull is one way to get that "suprise break".....
I don't find it squishy at all... much less so than most SA/DA semiautos I've fiddled with.

It IS, however, a DAO. That's going to mean a long trigger pull. You will not find a hammer fired DAO pistol without a fairly long trigger pull.

I have quite a few DA wheelguns, even one example out of S&W's Performance Center. The P250 trigger compares well to those double action triggers. If the length is bothering you, then I would conjecture that double action type trigger pulls are not for you; whether it's a P250 or any other. It takes practice to shoot a DA trigger well; you need to work on keeping your pull steady and consistent throughout the length of travel... I can go back and forth from my P250s to any of my wheelguns and use the same trigger technique.

And quite honestly, if your holy grail of triggers isn't a 1911 single action sliding trigger, then you're living in a glass house when you criticize any other trigger... nothing else compares to a nicely dialed in 1911.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:58 AM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
nothing else compares to a nicely dialed in 1911.
No argument there.