The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 12, 2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Eod1

shooting from water

Does anyone here practice shooting from water?
Old July 12, 2017, 03:40 PM   #2
g.willikers

Eh?
Like from the shower or bathtub?
Explain yerself, please.
There's a shortage of mind readers around here lately.
Old July 12, 2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Eod1

Like from a lake or water front. Like you are neck deep in water or coming out of the water onto shore.
Old July 12, 2017, 03:49 PM   #4
g.willikers

Sounds like a good way to get shot yourself.
Might be mistaken for the Gill Man from the Black Lagoon, or an invading terrorist.
You gotta' take those Navy Seal movies less seriously.
Old July 12, 2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Eod1

That's funny I like that. But the water makes you start to shake and as you walk out of it your skin comes into contact with the air and you shake more. Hard to stay on target.
Old July 12, 2017, 03:53 PM   #6
g.willikers

Wouldn't it be easier to get a saddle and hitch it around a cement mixer?
You do realize this is about to be closed for being silly stuff, don't you?
10, 9, 8, .....
Old July 12, 2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Eod1

I'm all about training in ways that have nothing to do with the average range stuff. The best show I have ever seen was TOP SHOT season 1. Why. shooting slow at a target that doesn't move is boring. After 1 hr training goes out the window and you are wasting money on ammo. I want to interject some new ways to have fun, be safe and learn how to shoot under stress.

Its not for everyone, but it is for someone.
Old July 12, 2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Rangerrich99

Eod, I agree with you that shooting only at non-moving targets is boring. I also try to find ways to make range sessions more interesting.

That said, I think you should check to see what the law is regarding shooting from water/near water/over water etc.

I know here it's illegal to shoot near lakes, over lakes or streams, or from the water. Just something to keep in mind.
Old July 12, 2017, 04:36 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
Like from a lake or water front. Like you are neck deep in water or coming out of the water onto shore.
You anticipate the need to come ashore with a weapon firing?

Quote:
shooting slow at a target that doesn't move is boring.
Then grab your shotgun (and please, it isn't a "shotty") and learn to shoot sporting clays - targets are moving and it takes a skill rifle and pistol shooters do not have
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 12, 2017, 04:39 PM   #10
FireForged

ok.. I gave you the benefit of the doubt initially but it is increasingly difficult for me to take these post seriously. I don't think I will read any future posts. - good luck
Old July 12, 2017, 04:49 PM   #11
Eod1

I do shoot sporting clays . I get board with it.
Old July 12, 2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Eod1

FireForged Thank you
Old July 12, 2017, 04:52 PM   #13
Eod1

If you can't use your Lake or anything like that I also use a large horse troff. I get submerged and cold then I get out and try shooting while I'm cold and shaking.
Old July 12, 2017, 05:24 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
I do shoot sporting clays . I get board with it.
So you shoot competition and have made it Master Class and won all of the major National events? How do you get bored with targets that are never the same anywhere you go?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 12, 2017, 05:33 PM   #15
Eod1

When you can hit everything you point at YA it gets boring. I never lead the clay, bird whatever. I point at target and fire. You can't beat the physics of it. I said I shoot sporting clays and got board with it. Using the Lucky McDaniel's way of shooting rifle called Instinctive Rifle or Quick kill Rifle. I'm shooting 99 out of 100 sometimes 100 out of 100. I got board. I'm not a gamer. I don't care about being first on that board. Who cares, the gamers do. Once I conquered it, it wasn't the same as it was when I started it. To me my name on a board doesn't make me who I am. That's the way I have been all my life. I had a running scholarship in college. A lot of the stuff I won I gave away. I know I won that's all I need.
Old July 12, 2017, 05:40 PM   #16
mete

Add challenge by putting sharks or crocs in the water !
Old July 12, 2017, 05:42 PM   #17
Eod1

Mete Come on!! I don't want the mods to lock this out.
Old July 12, 2017, 05:49 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just for fun, I will treat this as a legitimate query. First, no conventional gun will work normally under water or with water in the barrel. At best the gun simply blows the water out slowing the bullet to a non-lethal speed; at worst the water constitutes an excessive projectile mass and the barrel blows or bulges.

If that situation were encountered, the best practice would be to have the gun in a water-proof container (aka, a "baggie") and remove it on exit from the water or simply shoot through it. In the latter case, the baggie might hang up an auto pistol, but you should get off at least one shot.

FWIW, "underwater guns" actually "fire" darts or arrow type projectiles using CO2 or compressed air as a propellant, not gun powder. Normal bullets, even high power bullets (like a .50 bullet fired from an aircraft) will penetrate water only a few feet and will not be dangerous for most of the penetration.

Jim
Old July 12, 2017, 05:55 PM   #19
Eod1

I said from the water not under water. I know I read the thread. Do you know any Seals? Any Marines? How About Special Forces guys. I know how about a Army Ranger? Ask them how they shoot from the water. Do you think they pull them from a water proof case just before they shoot them.
Old July 12, 2017, 07:19 PM   #20
shafter

Quote:
I hear the Navy SEALS offer excellent training for those who may actually need to do this one day.
Old July 12, 2017, 07:26 PM   #21
Nanuk

Quote:
Do you know any Seals? Any Marines? How About Special Forces guys. I know Army Ranger? Ask them how they shoot from the water. Do you think they pull them from a water proof case just before they shoot them.
100 posts in 9 days, must be a record.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 12, 2017, 07:34 PM   #22
FITASC

Quote:
I never lead the clay, bird whatever. I point at target and fire. You can't beat the physics of it. I said I shoot sporting clays and got board with it. Using the Lucky McDaniel's way of shooting rifle called Instinctive Rifle or Quick kill Rifle. I'm shooting 99 out of 100 sometimes 100 out of 100. I got board.
Please post the link to your published scores......

Uh huh.....I'm calling BS or you don't know what sporting clays really is, since shooting them like a rifle is a great recipe for utter failure.......

Sorry, too many loony what-if threads make you sound more like a poser or video game commando.

As others have said on the other threads......I'm out of this......
Old July 12, 2017, 07:52 PM   #23
sgms

If you happen to have a H&K 416 you can shoot straight from water, it is designed for that, if however you are using an M-4 or AR clone or any commercial pistol that I am aware of it has to be drained before firing to avoid a catastrophic failure. If you are wet and your weapon is dry it is no more than a exercise in trying to be accurate while being uncomfortable and maybe shivering. You can train and learn to do many many things. The questions are why and is it really worth doing.
Old July 12, 2017, 08:51 PM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Please disregard
Old July 12, 2017, 09:25 PM   #25
Eod1

SGMS good response. I was told you always angle your rifle or pistol down so the water drains out before bringing it up to the sights.
Closed Thread