The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2017, 03:58 PM   #1
sigarms228

Adjusting rear sight on my CZ SP01 Shadow

The rear sight on my SP01 Shadow appears to be off to the right. I am kind of glad it is because I was wondering why I was always shooting to the right with it - about 1.25 inches at 21 feet. I just got back from the range and was cleaning it and it looks like the rear sight is off. I bought it new in August 2015. Test target does not show it shooting to the right however but I certainly am. Maybe the sight worked its way over the right over the last couple of years?

Any tips on how to drift the rear sight? It has a set screw in it. I have drifted sights before by putting slide in padded vise or on wood block and the tapping it over with a brass punch hammering the end of the brass punch lightly. I usually put some grease on the side of the sight I use the brass punch on and a piece of electrical tape on the slide just below it in case I slip though I have not yet.

Here are pictures of the rear sight. Notice the dovetail compared left to right side. Thanks for any help or tips.

Old July 10, 2017, 06:24 PM   #2
RickB

The sight is clearly right of center, so that would explain the gun shooting to the right, assuming the sight has "crept" to the right over time.
Be sure to make reference marks on the sight and slide, so you can tell when the sight has moved, and how much.
Your technique for moving the sight is already good.
Some people will, after they get the sight properly adjusted, either apply some Loctite to the dovetail, or use a punch through the set-screw hole to make a depression in the slide for the set screw to bite into, so the sight doesn't move again.
Old July 10, 2017, 06:32 PM   #3
sigarms228

Thanks RickB!

This seems to be a somewhat common problem with SP01. I found that the lock screw was a bit loose and there was the needed hex wrench in the pistol case. I put the slide on a block of soft wood and a couple gentle taps with brass punch moved it. To these old eyes it looks centered now. I locked down the lock screw fairly firmly. So we will see how it goes next range trip and keep an eye on it. If it moves again I will try some Loctite after verifying I have it where I want it.

Last edited by sigarms228; July 10, 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old July 10, 2017, 06:37 PM   #4
TunnelRat

No harm in using blue loctite on the set screw.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 10, 2017, 06:40 PM   #5
sigarms228

What would be the best way to do that? Apply it to the threads or a drop on top of the lock screw once it is tightened? Also what is involved in removing such screw after using Loctite on it if need be?
Old July 10, 2017, 06:43 PM   #6
TunnelRat

I usually apply to the threads. When you tighten the screw some loctite will get pushed to to the top of the screw hole automatically. Blue is pretty easy to overcome later with hand force, the green or red are different stories entirely.
Old July 10, 2017, 06:44 PM   #7
sigarms228

Thanks for the tip TunnelRat!

It has really been bugging me about why I have been shooting my CZ SP01 Shadow to the right. I may have to make another special range trip this week to see how it works for me now.

Last edited by sigarms228; July 10, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old July 11, 2017, 10:34 AM   #8
ShootistPRS

You can apply blue Loc-Tite to the dovetail and the screw by removing the set screw and putting a drop into the hole. When you screw the set screw down it will force the Loc-Tite up the threads and down into the dovetail. Blue Loc-Tite is easily removable so it doesn't require heat or special chemicals to remove it, if that ever becomes necessary.
Old July 11, 2017, 12:23 PM   #9
sigarms228

Thanks for the tips. Blue Loctite sounds like a good solution.

If I get a sight pusher I will probably get the one from CZ Custom but it is easy to drift the sight with brass punch unlike some other pistols where the sights are really tight. I use MGW sight pusher for my classic P series SIGs. Hopefully my range will let me make adjustments while I am there if need be.
Old July 11, 2017, 01:33 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Some are much tighter in the dovetails than others. If you can get by with a brass rod that's a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 18, 2017, 04:34 PM   #11
sigarms228

Well I went to the range today with my SP01 Shadow again. I was pleased that the eyeball centering I made to the sight was pretty good but still a little to the left. So I tapped the sight to the right a little more and then when I tightened to set screw down I got that horrible feeling that something was wrong. I though I broke the set screw . Well I tried 10 rounds and it was pretty much on center but man was I miffed at myself on the way home about breaking that set screw.

At home I took it into my basement shop and on further examination I found that I stripped the set screw where the hex wrench goes. I found a hex wrech just a hair larger and was able to use that to back the set screw out. Not sure why I was able to strip the head of that set screw fairly easily unless that is by design to be a better problem than snapping it. I used the hex wrench that was in the case of my CZ.

But now I got to try and find a couple new hex screws for it. I did not want to tighten it back down with the oversize hex wrench for fear it would get stripped again. Going on CZ website I found a rear site set screw that was "for every CZ except Tactical Sport" for $2. I emailed CZ Custom first to see what they had to to say about correct part. So my saga continues but I was supper happy to be able to get that set screw out.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/productdetai...set-screw-m3x4

Last edited by sigarms228; July 18, 2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old July 18, 2017, 06:00 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Be thankful you did manage to get it to back out. I've had this happen to me before on other pistols and it was so stripped that I had to have a smith drill out the head of the screw.

When it comes to the set screw tighten it only as much as you can while using the little end of the allen wrench for leverage (so the long end in the hole). That will usually prevent you from stripping the head. The set screw basically provides a bit of friction and removes some play. You don't have to wrench it down in order for it to work and assuming you use loctite it won't work itself loose.
Old July 18, 2017, 06:02 PM   #13
sigarms228

Good advice, thanks. I tightened while holding the long end for maximum torque. I won't do that again.
Old July 18, 2017, 06:12 PM   #14
CockNBama

That reminds me of me. I once finished tightening a nut(3/8") with my ratchet, and an instructor said " Don't just run 'em Farmer Tight. Know when enough is enough." That's been a hard habit to break...
Old July 18, 2017, 07:27 PM   #15
TunnelRat

^ You're not kidding.
Old July 18, 2017, 08:45 PM   #16
sigarms228

Well "back in the day" we usually did it like this, loosen or tighten.

Old August 2, 2017, 01:23 PM   #17
sigarms228

Well I received my new rear sight set screw from CZ USA, 3 actually as shipping was more than the screws LOL. It is different from the one that was in my SP01 Shadow but fits. The replacement is shorter than the old one but it has more contact area on the slide so hopefully it will work better and I will use the Blue Loctite once I am sure rear sight is where I want it. Thanks for all the help!

https://shop.cz-usa.com/productdetai...set-screw-m3x4