The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2017, 12:52 PM   #51
rwagliardo

I have a number of pocket 380's looking for the perfect gun for me.
Glock 42 reliable but just a bit to large for me to pocket carry.
Browning 1911 380 love this gun but again a bit too large for pocket carry.
S&W Bodyguard just did not like the trigger.
Colt Mustang XSP reliable carries good.
Kimber Micro another good reliable pocket carry piece.
Kahr CW 380 love the gun but not reliable enough to carry.
Ruger LCP II for me the perfect pocket piece goes with me everywhere.
Old July 8, 2017, 04:16 PM   #52
roashooter

Quote:
I agree. I also do not understand how someone can recommend or bash a gun they have no experience with. That is not helpful and usually just passes on rumors or fanboy reviews.
hey now....so many rely on what they see on utube....and then declare thats what they recommend over all others....having absolutely no personal experience...with said firearm....I will not name names....you know who you are!

but to play the popularity game...Browning 1911-380....locked breech..not a blow back....and the controls...are the same as the big daddy 1911-45.....
ours had functioned 100%...
Old July 8, 2017, 05:25 PM   #53
Armybrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldjarhead View Post
PS: The best .380 ever made was the Colt 1908 hammerless. Gosh, I wish Colt would manufacture and sell them as retro guns, the same way Smith and Wesson has done with some of their old models.
Actually, the Colt 1903 Hammerless .32ACP is being reproduced under Colt license by this company:

https://www.usarmcorp.com/manufactur...-pocket-pistol

From what I understand, the MSRP is $1,100+.

Might as well buy a nice original example for that princely sum.
Old July 8, 2017, 05:34 PM   #54
Armybrat

I just picked up this Remington RM380 - $221.36 delivered from Bud's to my FFL. After the $50 cash rebate, that'll drop to $171.36 - plus the FFL transfer fee.

Pretty darn good deal.... if it works reliably. Remington bought out this model's original manufacturer Rohrbaugh a couple of years ago. The RM380 is about the same length & height as the LCP, but is considerably thicker and about 4 ounces heavier.
If this thing runs reliably and Remington brings it out in 9mm in the same size package like Rorhbaugh did, I'll buy that one too.
Old July 8, 2017, 06:19 PM   #55
keithdog

For me, the LCP hands down. I have the newer LCPII and love it. My son got the Glock 42, and he loves it, but he does not like carrying it in his pocket. He has said he often wishes he's bought my LCP for pocket carry.
Old July 8, 2017, 06:47 PM   #56
Armybrat

Yes, it's hard to beat the LCP for pocket carry (that's what I currently tote around in rotation with a Kahr CT380) unless one downsizes to the nifty little KelTec P32.
Old July 9, 2017, 12:41 AM   #57
HisSoldier

Quote:
bullet push back
I used to cannelure all my reloads at one time, an easy and quick option for factory ammo too.
I guess everyone fell for the argument that reloads pose some problem during a law suit, I don't buy it, and a state policeman told me he had never noted the ammunition used in a homicide by that criterion.
Perhaps a slick lawyer could imply that canneluring the cases of factory loads had some sinister intent as well.
I carry a KelTec, consider it a last ditch throwaway gun. If I thought there was much chance of a gunfight I'd pack my 10MM DW.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old July 9, 2017, 03:07 AM   #58
BOOGIE the oily

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1944
Speaking from a pistol-smiths perspective, I find South American steel to be very poor quality. I recall inspecting a Bersa Thunder that was dropped without the slide and the barrel simply broke off the aluminum frame when it hit the floor. I have attempted to change out a barrel after a squib load mishap only to find the aluminum could not withstand the pressure of the press to remove the securing pins. I will no longer work on ant Bersa products1
Well, speaking from a non pistol-smith's perspective (and the perspective of an Argentinian who lives less than 10 miles away from the Bersa factory, and has been talking to one of their engineers about 2 weeks ago), I have to tell you that Bersa uses Italian steel and aluminum, since neither 4130 nor 7075 are produced in Argentina. Actually, the single biggest problem they're having lately is our beloved government making them jump through hoops to get the permits to import the stuff.

On the other hand, I'm glad you like Sig's and Glock's German steel. But Glocks are Austrian, not German.

"Alcohol doesn't solve anything, but then again, neither does milk."
Old July 9, 2017, 08:23 PM   #59
Ignition Override

A Makarov in .380 (commercial Russian) or the typical Bulgys or East Germans in 9x18.

They've always been considered very reliable and easy to conceal, being single stack. Some commercial Russian versions are double-stack, and Those magazines are pricey.
My only carry gun is the .380 Russian, typical single-stack.

By the way, you might be familiar, but for those who are not, the only plastic is in the grips.
Old July 9, 2017, 08:38 PM   #60
Joe_Pike

For pocket carry my opinion is that the "improved" version of the LCP I is the best .380 for the money. It doesn't get much better for $200. Get 'em before they're gone.
Old July 9, 2017, 10:07 PM   #61
ammo.crafter

I have 3; PK380; PPK (no S); and an AMT Backup.

The AMT is the easiest to conceal but the PPK is the most accurate. Love em all.
Old July 9, 2017, 10:37 PM   #62
AL45

Sig P238
Old July 9, 2017, 11:00 PM   #63
Andy Blozinski

The Zenith MC14 is a Beretta 84 copy that you can get in the $400 range and it comes with 3 magazines. Double stack .380 w/13 rd mag. Few reviews, but they're all good.
I see them online for sale, but I'd like to get one in my hand before buying.

Sig P238 makes a great pocket gun. Get the 7 round mag if you do.
Old July 10, 2017, 12:35 AM   #64
Bill DeShivs

Quote:
You also mentioned FMJ ammo.
That's probably only going to piss off whoever you shoot with it.
That is a very irresponsible statement!

While FMJ ammunition may or may not be the best for carry, it's most certainly deadly!
Old July 10, 2017, 01:42 AM   #65
MMitch

Kind-of off topic, but with the bersa's having really thick grips how do they conceal under a fairly fit T-Shirt? Lets say compared to a 342pd?
Old July 10, 2017, 04:37 PM   #66
cobra81

Darn it! I knew I shouldn't have started reading this thread. All this talk about .380's caused me to visit my local small gun shop over my lunch hour today, and now I'm $268 poorer, but the new owner of my very first .380. I ended up getting the Ruger LCP II.
I also shouldn't have picked up all that spent .380 brass at the range. Every time I pick up brass for a caliber I don't own, it's only a matter of time before reloading dies and a gun to match that brass empties my wallet. It's insidious, the way that works, and I never learn.
Old July 10, 2017, 04:52 PM   #67
hdwhit

Quote:
kyguy1 wrote:
Which one is the best in terms of reliability & ease of use?
Highpoint CF-380: Cheap, reliable, ugly as homemade sin

Taurus 738: Cheap, fairly reliable, small, light and cute in an angular sort of way.
Old July 10, 2017, 04:55 PM   #68
Laz

Quote:
Darn it! I knew I shouldn't have started reading this thread.
Cobra81, once I was going through assorted ammunition I had and found a box of .44 Magnum ammo. My first thought was, "I don't have a 44 Magnum and should buy one so I can shoot that box of ammo".

I sought some professional help and gave the ammo to a friend. But it was touch and go.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old July 10, 2017, 04:58 PM   #69
hdwhit

Quote:
cobra81 wrote:
Darn it! I knew I shouldn't have started reading this thread.
I have so far avoided "pulling the trigger" on a 380. Mostly this is because buying the gun means getting ready to load for it and after taking on 25 ACP some years ago, I'm not sure I want to get involved in another tiny cartridge.
Old July 10, 2017, 11:08 PM   #70
batmann

For what's it's worth, my 'carry' .380 ACP is a Ruger LCP. Light, thin and not bulky. It has been very reliable with a variety of ammo. I had a Kahr CW .380 but had to send it back once and I never could get to be reliable.
These small 'pocket' pistols can get picky about its ammo so if you find one it likes, buy more!
Old July 13, 2017, 08:29 AM   #71
Carl the Floor Walker

Was at the range a few days ago. I brought my Kahr CW380 and my Pico and threw my LCP gen 2 in the bag. Man, the Pico and the Kahr have totally spoiled me. They are so pleasant to shoot. As I mentioned, I own two Pico's now and after a few thousand rounds Not one Hiccup. The Kahr now has around 500 with no problems.
I put a hundred rounds with the Pico and switched over to the Kahr. Hard for me to tell which I prefer. I am very bias toward the Pico, I just love that gun.
Then I shot my LCP, Lol, man two mags was enough for me. I have owned three and on my fourth, but no more. That gun is going back into retirement. I use to be a really good shot with that gun, but after shooting the other two, I do not want any part of a LCP. Shot the new model, and personally did not think it shot as well as the Gen 2 LCP. And I really did not like the trigger. Besides just being weird, it was IMO totally unsafe for a pocket gun.
I have always been a avid fan of the LC9S. But after shooting the Kahr, I am thinking of getting a CM9 in the next 6 months or so.
Old July 13, 2017, 08:21 PM   #72
Reloadron

You will really need to figure out what works for you. The two .380 ACP pistols I have had experience with and liked were a Colt Government .380 ACP and a older Interarms imported Walther PPK. Actually were both my wifes guns but I enjoyed shooting them. The PPK is still in the safe today and I wish that little Colt Government was still with us. They were both good guns for us, reliable and problem free.

Ron
Old July 13, 2017, 09:12 PM   #73
CockNBama

Carl, I recently got a Pico, and am glad to read someone else likes them. What ammo do you use?
Old July 14, 2017, 03:58 PM   #74
Doc TH

The Beretta 84/85 and the Browning BDA 380 (made by Beretta for Browning) are probably not "pocket pistols" because of their size, but they are very high quality, well designed, reliable, durable, and attractive pistols. Both feel very good in the hand.
As an aside, I have to agree that an FMJ 380 is not an ineffective round. When it is chosen in preference to HP, the usual reason is to maximize penetration. We tend to like expansion, but we need penetration. Greg Ellifritz's alternate look at handgun stopping power, and Brassfetcher's ballistic tests provide data to the utility of the 380.
Old July 15, 2017, 01:50 AM   #75
Aquajunky02

I personally carry a S&W bodyguard .380. The reason I chose it was budget number 1. I'm not loaded so it ruled out the sig I wanted. Next I really liked the double strike capability. I have experienced a couple light strikes with the pistol but only on cheap steel case ammo. A second strike has never failed to make it go bang though. I also considered the LCP which seems to be a good choice as well. I do find the Bodyguard to be a bit difficult to shoot. I seem to hit low and left. It's definitely no tack driver, but it's handy and easy to carry. Some days I almost forget I'm carrying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk