The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 30, 2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

last resort

Mrs. Doc has a 357 mag LCR 1.87" 5 shot revolver. She's qualified in Tn. 5 years
ago and she qualified for her carry permit here in Fl.with the same LCR. She will shoot it for 1 or 2 loads then puts it down & walks away. Hands can't handle it for much more as she has a auto immune disease called Vasculitis.

She's tried 6- 9mm Pistols, 8- 38/357 compact revolvers even used roll your own special ammo I had made for her & no go.

Is there a very good 22 mag/long rifle revolver out there that has a lite trigger pull that will not hurt here hands?

Doc
Old June 30, 2017, 10:14 PM   #2
dscampbell

I would try a k frame S&W instead of a lightweight. The added weight helps with the recoil. I have arthritis and the j frames I can't handle any more but my 3" model 10-5 is do able

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 30, 2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

22LR or 22 Mag revolvers will typically have a heavier trigger than centerfire.

What is the cause of the pain? Recoil or pulling a heavy trigger?
Old June 30, 2017, 10:45 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would consider a .22 Kit Gun, as being both light and having a trigger pull that can be very light in SA and pretty light in DA. If that is too small, the regular K-22 (Model 617) is larger and AFAIK is available in a 4" barrel.

The problem with a .22 (or worse, a .22 Magnum) for a light DA pull is that the rimfire cases require a heavier firing pin blow than a center fire primer, so the trigger pull has to be heavier than that of a CF revolver.

Jim
Old June 30, 2017, 11:03 PM   #5
JoeSixpack

I know several people who just can't handle the recoil of even a 9mm in a fullsize gun.

It's not ideal.. but yes.. try out 22lr or 22mag.
I usually recommend 22lr in a revolver.. 9 or 10 shot for people in this situation.

It maybe not have the "stopping" power on a shot per shot basis but anyone shot with 9 or 10 rounds of 22lr is going to be in a world of hurt all the same.

no one wants to be shot period, and it's still a gun.
I would not be my first choice but if it's all I had I would use it, yes sir!

I've got my dads old high-standard sentinel, It has almost no finish left on it, I could not even begin to estimate the number of shots it's seen.
But damn if that gun is not tight'n'right.. hardly any gap, no cylinder play.. it's better put together then the majority of NIB revolvers I've seen.
trigger pull is very smooth and manageable, If I ever come across another one at a good price im hopping on it.

I dunno how that company ever went out of business if the one I've got is any indication of the quality they produced.
Old June 30, 2017, 11:07 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Sounds like a trip back to the rental range my friend. Mrs. Doc sounds like a prime candidate for the mythical revolver mentioned in another thread.
But for now, the Ruger LCR in 327 Federal magnum is a possible option. She can try the full power 327, but if that is a no-go she can step down to the 32 H&R, 32 S&W long, or even 32 S&W. Ammo for the latter two may be a bit challenging to find, but it's out there in the online world.
Ideally either the Federal round, or the H&R would be acceptable to her so you don't need to search for ammo.
Just a thought, don't know how popular the 327 Federal LCR revolvers are at the rental ranges.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 30, 2017, 11:09 PM   #7
Doc Holliday 1950

Last resort

Hi Joe,
Excellent reply to Mrs. Doc's
problem. Vasculitis really sucks.
I thought I was tough. She makes
me look like Bambi compared to
her. What brand or name would you
Think we should look at??
Jay

Doc
Old June 30, 2017, 11:10 PM   #8
Sgt127

S&W 64 2" with non +P loads or a Ruger SP-101 might work.

If not, try and find a S&W 650. I had two. I still have one. 3" J frame all stainless .22 Magnum. Neat guns. Long out of production. Or, a 651. Same thing, adjustable sights.
Old July 1, 2017, 12:08 AM   #9
JoeSixpack

Hmm not sure what to suggest, The people I know in this situation just want a house gun, not carry.

So the guns I usually suggest are larger and sometimes on the heavy side which also helps eliminate recoil.

usual house gun recommendations are:
Ruger GP100
S&W 617
S&W 317 (Airlite)
The 317 might make for a good carry gun given it's weight.

Other options would be Taurus, they'd be the cheapest They use to make a 9 shot 22 I the model escapes me right now.. I think it was 970 or 990.. not sure if they're still in production, It was large, part of the "tracker" product line.

Since carry is important here I'd check out the Ruger LCR in 22lr, They're 8 shots but small, snub nose, light.. I don't have any personal exp with them though but would be the first in my mind for a carry 22.

I'd recommend CCI stingers IF she can handle them, The bigger steel guns will soak it up but not sure how the LCR would fair.
Old July 1, 2017, 05:06 AM   #10
tallball

She has my sympathy. Mrs Tallball has similar problems.

I agree with the other poster. An LCR in 327 magnum is the ticket. 32 S&W or 32 S&W long are gentle easy pracitce ammo that feel about like 22. 32 H&R magnum feels much milder than 38 special and is still viable for SD.

My wife's preference is the Charter Arms Undercoverette in 32 H&R magnum.
Old July 1, 2017, 08:16 AM   #11
g.willikers

Much of her problem can be overcome with a change in technique.
Like using more chest, shoulder and upper arms in shooting a pistol, along with a forward thrust of the handgun.
It takes a lot of stress off the hands and wrists.
Unfortunately it's very hard to find someone to show her how, as most instructors aren't familiar with doing it.
The only one I've run across who does is Mike Seeklander.
Check out his youtube series on the grip.
It will definitely help, as I can testify.
Hope this helps.
I feel her pain.
Old July 1, 2017, 03:18 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

Just throwing this out there ...

32 S&W Long revolver; have a good smith work on lightening the trigger and replace the firing pin with an extended firing pin to ensure ignition.

Load 'em with 32 S&W Short rounds. It has more energy than 22LR out of a short barrel and is comparable to 22 Mag from a short barrel. The recoil is non-existent, trigger will be definitely lighter than an off the shelf rimfire revolver and you will have more reliable ignition with centerfire primers.

If Mrs Doc gets more comfortable she can always "upgrade" to 32 S&W Long. It's definitely a compromise but it might be a good option.
Old July 2, 2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Siggy-06

Is an LCR in .22 mag out of the question?
Old July 2, 2017, 03:03 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Has she tried a CZ-82 or CZ-83?

One is 9mm Makarov, the other is .380 ACP. They are double stack, steel, with a very comfortable grip. The 9mm Makarov isn't a particularly snappy round anyway and, in an all steel semi-automatic, it's a pussycat to shoot. I expect the .380 version is even more pleasant.
Old July 3, 2017, 10:38 AM   #15
lunger

If we are bringing semi autos into the mix, a Glock 42 380 has very little felt recoil. Almost 22 like.
Old July 3, 2017, 12:44 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Doc, is a semi-auto completely out of the question?
If not, I have an idea on a couple made just for problems like Mrs. Doc is having.

Last edited by Cheapshooter; July 3, 2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old July 3, 2017, 05:11 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

The auto pistol choice may not be a good one unless the person who will use it has enough strength to operate the mechanism to clear a jam. If that is the choice, though, make sure the ammo is reliable so there is (hopefully) no need to ever operate the slide manually.

Jim
Old July 3, 2017, 05:29 PM   #18
txray22

I have a LCR .22LR and it's a great little shooter.
Old July 3, 2017, 09:49 PM   #19
Super Sneaky Steve

Any double action will be too stiff and if it's not stiff it will not be reliable.

Any pistol in .22 will likely be blowback and will have a heavy recoil spring. 22 autos are still not very reliable.

What you need to get her is a single action revolver. I have a Bearcat that is easy to carry, easy to cock and easy to fire. Load her up with some CCI Stingers and she will be well armed.

Old July 4, 2017, 09:17 AM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

IIRC, Mas Ayoob recommended single action 22 LR guns for a woman with similar problems due to severe arthritis.

The Bearcats are fine little guns and easy to shoot. Before we get into the stopping power cliches, having a gun you can shoot is better than having none.
Old July 4, 2017, 09:28 AM   #21
ammo.crafter

CCW

Excellent question and some very realistic responses.

After a sanctioned pistol shoot at my gun club, one of the RO’s suggested we shoot the same course of fire but instead of using our bells and whistle guns, we use our carry weapons.

What an eye-opener!

My AMT Backup (.380acp) was fine at close range but the further back we all went it became woefully apparent that beyond 10 yards, the majority of our CCW’s were less and less effective.

I have since switched CCW’s to my Browning Hi-Power.
Old July 4, 2017, 09:30 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The auto pistol choice may not be a good one unless the person who will use it has enough strength to operate the mechanism to clear a jam. If that is the choice, though, make sure the ammo is reliable so there is (hopefully) no need to ever operate the slide manually.
Tip barrel 22, or 25. Beretta Bobcat, or Taurus PT series. The Beretta has the advantage of being SA/DA for the possibility of thumb cocking the hammer. But the trigger pull of the Taurus DAO pistol is not all that bad.
Old July 4, 2017, 09:30 AM   #23
g.willikers

Considering how accurately and how fast a .22 can be fired, they can make a very viable defense tool.
Just have to use them to their advantage.

I once won a bet for being able to knock down a full sized steel popper with a rimfire pistol.
Poppers are calibrated to require at least a full power 9mm to knock it down.
Three rapid rounds at the very top of popper sent it on it's way to earth with that lowly rimfire pistol.
Easily done, too.
They are indeed usually very accurate and can send a fusillade of rounds on target very quickly.
So, another vote for the rimfire in this situation.
Old July 4, 2017, 09:39 AM   #24
gnystrom

I will agree with a couple of others that suggested the Ruger LCR in 22 mag. Intimidating and loud but 6 rounds, none of which I would want to be hit with.
Old July 4, 2017, 09:58 AM   #25
Glenn E. Meyer

The small Taurus and Beretta 22 LR semis are notorious for jamming. This is not a situation where we want to play with many different loads and still be wary of the gun when the time comes.

Yes, you may have a good one but does Doc want to have play games with an iffy gun?

Profesional folks do like the 22 mag snubbies - question is how the trigger pull works for Ms. Doc?

A 327 Mag J frame would be nice but you would have to buy an expensive one as they are not produced anymore - one with a hammer would work, maybe as you can get very mild 32 SW Long loads and if the 32 HR mag loads would work also.