The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Does the revolver described in the OP interest you?
Yes 27 27.84%
No 68 70.10%
.38!!! *herp derp* 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 27, 2017, 02:12 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Does this theoretical revolver interest you?

-.32 H&R Magnum
-5 shot cylinder
-fitted onto a revolver frame smaller than the the S&W J frame or Ruger LCR frame
-weighs less than 12 ounces
-cylinder diameter is smaller than that of the Ruger LCR or Smith J frame
-Will hold up to a steady diet of full power .32 H&R loads

Basically a .32 H&R Mag revolver built on a special, smaller frame dedicated for nothing larger than the .32 caliber and quality built, not like the junk H&R .32 Magnum revolvers that destroyed the .32 H&R Mag's potential as a serious defense cartridge thanks to weak factory loads.
Old June 27, 2017, 02:47 AM   #2
roashooter

not in the least...and it will just be a theoretical piece
Old June 27, 2017, 05:28 AM   #3
CajunBass

Nope. You lost me at "32." Then it just went downhill.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 27, 2017, 05:57 AM   #4
Dragline45

Posted this exact thing here a couple years back and didn't see much interest. I think it would make for the ultimate pocket gun. Most of the responses were somehwhere along the lines of don't need smaller than a J frame, or why don't you get an I frame.
Old June 27, 2017, 06:14 AM   #5
Carmady

I think a 3-shot 9mm would be a more likely candidate for success.

Shorter and thinner cylinder
Ammo - cheaper, more variety, available everywhere
150% capacity of a derringer (said with high enthusiasm!)
DAO like a mini-Centennial
Old June 27, 2017, 06:23 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Nope. There are simply better choices in roughly the same package.
Old June 27, 2017, 06:58 AM   #7
Screwball

No... same reason, not interested in .32.
Old June 27, 2017, 07:39 AM   #8
Bill DeShivs

If one were going to produce a pocket revolver in .32, the H&R magnum and even the .32 S&W long cartridges are far too long.
The gun should be chambered in .32 ACP.
You can't thin a revolver too much going from .38 to .32, but you can certainly shorten the cylinder and frame quite a bit.
Old June 27, 2017, 07:45 AM   #9
Wyosmith

I like 32. But only in field revolvers. There is NO reason I can see to use a 32 revolver when a 380 or 9MM auto will do everything better for self defense, as a concealed carry gun. More ammo, more power, small package and faster to reload.

The strong suit of the 32 is a field revolver. Ruger's GP101 with a long slim barrel on it instead of the bulky 'full-underlug" atrocity they make.

5 or 6 shot, small frame, slender 4", 5", and 6" barrels offered. High quality Adjustable sights. Very well made action capable of firing regularly for decades. Nothing that's tinny or light duty. Guns made to be shot hundreds of thousands of rounds!
Think of the K-32s that Smith and Wesson made. Or even the 4" J frames that made at one time. These were outdoorsmens dream guns.
It did all the 22 LR or 22 mag does and more, and cost less to fire then 22 mag in that you can load your own ammo.

If you cast your own bullets you get about 70 to a pound, so a 10 pound pot yields about 700 bullets. Cast from early morning to lunch and you have about 1400 bullets and that keeps you going for many months of shooting. Shot at speeds of 1200 fps and less you'd never need gas checks. Powder charges go in the 3.5 grain range, and accuracy was one ragged hole at 25 yards. In a standard load, the primer was the most expensive component.

I had a K-32 and a Colt Officers, both in 32. One was a 32 S&W and the Colt was a 32-20. I never should have let anyone beat me out of them. For walks in the high desert or along the ditch banks of the ranch they were wonderful.
Old June 27, 2017, 08:26 AM   #10
tallball

I would be interested in one. I am just fine with 32 magnum for SD. I prefer revolvers. Something like a hammerless alloy I-frame snubby would be a great pocket revolver. It would be easier to carry than the snub 38's I often carry.
Old June 27, 2017, 08:39 AM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

Not in the slightest.
Old June 27, 2017, 09:01 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes.

3" barrel

But, it won't be much smaller than the J frame, at least frame window length wise, because the .32 Magnum isn't that much shorter than the .38 Special.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 27, 2017, 09:17 AM   #13
jackmoser65

As you will see, there are a lot of narrow minded shooters who have disdain for any 32 caliber cartridge and that is unfortunate.

I would be all over a modern I frame in 32 H&R.
Old June 27, 2017, 09:32 AM   #14
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmoser65 View Post
As you will see, there are a lot of narrow minded shooters who have disdain for any 32 caliber cartridge and that is unfortunate.

You do realize some agencies have minimum calibers for off duty carry... most being .380/.38. .32 might be all well and good, but might want to back off on the "narrow minded" comment...
Old June 27, 2017, 10:12 AM   #15
ligonierbill

Yes, interested. Buy one? No. I like my 32s, and the H&R is a neat little round. My loading experience shows it to be equivalent to a pretty warm .380. But 32 H&R defensive revolvers already exist (I'm presuming that to be the OP target).

Now, for field use, I'm with Wyosmith. His spec revolver I'd buy, if I wanted a new one. Right now, the old ones do fine for me.
Old June 27, 2017, 10:30 AM   #16
jackmoser65

Quote:
You do realize some agencies have minimum calibers for off duty carry... most being .380/.38. .32 might be all well and good, but might want to back off on the "narrow minded" comment...
Not backing off. You didn't say you couldn't due to policy. You said "no interest". Besides, I was speaking in general. Didn't single out any one in particular. Don't be so sensitive.

Unless I've stumbed into Cop Talk, I really don't care about law enforcement agency regulations.
Old June 27, 2017, 10:31 AM   #17
JoeSixpack

Not that into revolvers for carry and not interested in .32

But that's just me personally.
Old June 27, 2017, 11:09 AM   #18
Nathan

Im all in.
DAO trigger
Hidden hammer
32 H&R mag
Fixed sights
2.5-3" barrel
Black Cerakote finish
Wood grips
Old June 27, 2017, 11:15 AM   #19
FITASC

Sure - especially if you could use something like the old S&W "I" frame - I have 32's on the I frame - REAL sleek, almost toy like in their size, but fun to shoot!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 27, 2017, 11:40 AM   #20
Cheapshooter

Did you say 327 Federal Magnum?
Not 32 H&R non-magnum.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 27, 2017, 12:08 PM   #21
natman

Quote:
Did you say 327 Federal Magnum?
Not 32 H&R non-magnum.
The 327 Fed Mag is nearly as long as a 38 Special. This would contradict the OP's requirement of "fitted onto a revolver frame smaller than the the S&W J frame or Ruger LCR frame". That's going to be a tight fit even for the 32 H&R.
Old June 27, 2017, 12:17 PM   #22
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmoser65 View Post
Not backing off. You didn't say you couldn't due to policy. You said "no interest". Besides, I was speaking in general. Didn't single out any one in particular. Don't be so sensitive.

Unless I've stumbed into Cop Talk, I really don't care about law enforcement agency regulations.

Why would I buy something that is smaller than a J-frame, in .32, that I cannot carry? Doesn't matter what my reasons are, it is a valid reason of why I have no interest... because of it being a .32.

Sorry, but that is a thought out reason for why a person would not buy it. Doesn't have to be Cop Talk, but let's point out something that there is no argument on... how many of such revolvers are currently being produced?
Old June 27, 2017, 12:22 PM   #23
pete2

Not interested at all but I plan to buy one of the new Ruger .327, 3-1/2" Single Sevens.
Old June 27, 2017, 12:48 PM   #24
chaim

Like Screwball, I live in a state where legal CCW is quite difficult (some people get permits, but few normal people can). However, I do like carry type guns. I spend a lot of time in carry states where I can carry on my UT non-resident permit, and even if I didn't, like I said, I like carry type guns.

That said, I'd have no interest. I do like to maximize capacity for size. I also want more power than .32H&R mag gives and that is where .327mag (not .32H&R mag) has me interested. I like that they put 6 rounds instead of 5 into a small frame revolver. I also like a 3" revolver as the Goldilocks "just right" of concealability and velocity/ballistics. If Ruger would make the .327mag SP101 in a 3" revolver again, it would probably be my next purchase. That said, I'd be thrilled if S&W did the same thing with the K-frame. If the SP101 can hold 6, I'm sure a K-frame could hold 7 .327mag. A 7 shot, 3", K-frame with the power of .38+P, and a little smaller than the 686 Plus, I'd be all over that immediately (even if I didn't have the cash, that's what credit cards, or trading guns is for).
Old June 27, 2017, 12:53 PM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

"You do realize some agencies"

I'll remember that if I'm ever part of "an agency."

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.