The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 1, 2017, 11:38 AM   #51
dgludwig

Quote:
I saw one years ago but it did not have the screwdriver. The price was good, $550, so I bought it anyway. I figured sooner or later I will find a screwdriver.
The screwdriver tool is almost always missing from used Medalist boxes and they aren't cheap when you do find one for sale. Unless you're a hard core collector, I wouldn't bother with a search-in terms of real utility, the cheaply-made tool is pretty unnecessary.
Old June 2, 2017, 03:14 PM   #52
rt11002003

I'm still praising the S&W Model 41; I have two of them now. Using both Burris and Ultradot red dot sights; feel the Burris works better for my eyes. Replaced my older Hammerli with a new one, using an Ultradot on it because I could fit it on the gun's built in rail. Have a Hammerli bridge mount for a C-More which I prefer as a red dot sight, however, the bridge mount tends to loosen when shooting. My Hammerli Xesse Sport is more accurate than either of the Model 41s. I'm speaking of ranges up to 50' +/-. Moving out to 25 yards/meters, the Ruger Mk ii Government Target with a scope and a Mk iii Competition Target with a scope have better accuracy.

Been shooting a MatchMaster 9mm STI with a C-More red dot and a Witness Tanfoglio Limited with a C-More red dot. Both are outstanding pistols and sights. Would use C-Mores on the Model 41s, if they would fit without going to bridge mounts.

Had a nice SIG p210 6 for a few months. Liked the pistol, but the SIG X-5 and X-6 are better shooters. This is understandable; the p210 was designed as a duty pistol, the X-Series are more target oriented.

There are lots of good target pistols out there.
Old June 2, 2017, 06:35 PM   #53
Morgo

This little Ruger MK10 will punch a ragged hole in the target at 25 yards

Old June 2, 2017, 07:27 PM   #54
damienph

Target pistols

My Ruger Mk II Government Target is extremely accurate. But if we include revolvers my early '50s K22 and my pre-war Colt Officer's Model are also very accurate, depends on the day which one out shoots the other.
Old June 2, 2017, 09:24 PM   #55
bac1023

I find rimfire target pistols a bit on the boring side even though I own quite a few. I've been watching this thread for a long while and its mostly rimfire stuff.

How about some pictures of high end centerfire target pistols?

I'll start with the S&W (mostly Performance Center)...

Comp 40, 52, 945, 845, 952-1, 952-2, PPC9, PPC9

Sig and Sig Sauer...

P210-6, P210-6, P229 Sport, X-Five Short, X-Five L1, P226 Sport, P220 Sport

Can't forget the Italians...

Beretta Steel I, Beretta 92 Combat, Delta AR Top Gun, Delta AR Top Gun, Benelli MP3S, Benelli MP3S, Bernardelli Practical VB, Bernardelli Practical VB, Pardini GT9

Various European...

Walther P88 Competition, Mauser Sport Parabellum, Ultramatic SV, Ultramatic LV, CZ 75 Champion, CZ Tactical Sport, MAB PAP F1, Sphinx Competitor, Browning GP Competition, HK P9S Sport

I'd be remissed if I didn't include some of my finest 1911s (not all target models, but great shooters)...

Valtro 1998A1, Pistol Dynamics Signature, Les Bear SRP, Ed Brown Classic Custom, Springfield TGO1, Springfield Professional, Infinity single stack, RRA Limited Match, Wilson Classic Super Grade, Nighthawk Enforcer, Colt National Match

Old June 3, 2017, 09:05 AM   #56
Walt Sherrill

I admire your taste in weapons, and your collection. It appears the only thing we have in common is a shared carpet color. (Sigh.)
Old June 3, 2017, 09:58 AM   #57
dgludwig

Good one, Walt-and my carpet doesn't even match. I do have Smith Models 52 and 945 and a Colt National Match that he has in his collection. I always look forward to seeing bac1023's exquisite taste in firearms.
Old June 3, 2017, 10:16 AM   #58
mikejonestkd

bac1023, thanks for sharing pics of your collection, its always a treat for the rest of us!
Old June 3, 2017, 01:47 PM   #59
Mike38

The term "Target Pistol" changes person to person. Ask a weekend range shooter, then ask someone that competes in Olympic style shooting and you will get totally different answers. To me, the Ruger Mk and Browning Buckmark are not target pistols. They are very nice plinkers. A target pistol is along these lines: S&W 41, High Standard Victor, Benelli MP90 or 95, Walther GSP, Hammerli 208/215/280/Xesse, Pardini SP, Feinwerkbau AW93, Morini CM. Those are true target pistols.

Basically, has it medaled in the Olympics or won at Camp Perry? If not, it's not a true target pistol.

Last edited by Mike38; June 3, 2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old June 3, 2017, 02:49 PM   #60
dgludwig

Quote:
To me, the Ruger Mk and Browning Buckmark are not target pistols. They are very nice plinkers.
You're right about the Buckmark but the Ruger Mark series won a lot of Bullseye matches in its day and is still considered to be a serious competitor by many of us at any Bullseye event held today. Most just needed a little help with the factory trigger to have made them competitive with the best American-made target pistols of the past (mostly Hi-Standards, Colts and Smith & Wessons-unfortunately, the fine Smith Model 41 is about the only serious target pistol left being made in America today).
Old June 18, 2017, 01:54 AM   #61
makarov

I know there are centerfire target pistols to be sure, but I usually think .22 when someone says target pistol.

I have an old Browning Medalist. No box, or anything. A shooter, not a safe queen. Beautiful gun. Bought a Nomad to go with it just to have another mag.

IZH-35m - Russian made target pistol. Very well made, super accurate. Wish it was still imported.

Ruger MKII - have several. Would consider any of the heavy barreled models to be budget target pistols. Trigger work and grips and you are in business and will be more accurate than most shooters unless you are using a rest.
Old June 18, 2017, 05:27 PM   #62
dgludwig

Quote:
I have an old Browning Medalist. No box, or anything. A shooter, not a safe queen. Beautiful gun. Bought a Nomad to go with it just to have another mag.
I'm looking for a "beater" Nomad for the same reason you got one-to feed my Medalist with the magazine from the Nomad. Browning magazines by themselves cost almost as much as an abused Nomad. This way I can have my cake (the Nomad) and eat it too (the magazine).
Old June 18, 2017, 09:04 PM   #63
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is odd that there is no mention of the great old single shot pistols with 3 and 5 lever trigger actions and full target stocks that were literally put on (like a glove). While they are almost unknown today, they set standards of accuracy that have seldom been equaled by even the best modern autoloading pistols.

Jim
Old June 19, 2017, 03:58 PM   #64
Houndog

bac1023 - thanks for pics. What a great collection. I'd love to know which of those are your favorites and which you shoot the most.

As for target pistols, I do own a S&W PC945 and it is a great gun. Very accurate with a really nice trigger.

I also own a Marvel .22 conversion for a 1911. Very easy to swap out to make your conventional 1911 into a .22 and very, very accurate. In fact, each comes with a test target and, as I recall, for a little extra you can buy one that has an exceptionally good test target.

Finally, not sure if it qualifies as a target gun but I do own a S&W 610 revolver that shoots 10mm. Mine has a 6" barrel, which gives you a nice long sight radius, and if you shoot it single action a very light trigger. I've also found it to be a real tack driver, and the 10mm round tends to shoot pretty flat so it's good if you want to shoot plates out at a 100 yards.
Old June 19, 2017, 05:01 PM   #65
rock185

I've owned just a few of the nice target pistols some have mentioned and shown here. One Houndog mentioned is one I would not have thought of, the S&W 10MM revolvers. I had a S&W Model 610, actually two at different times, both with 5" barrels. Two of the nicest and most accurate revolvers of any caliber I ever owned.

PS, Houndog, forgot to mention that I do shoot 10MM, 9MM, 38 Super, etc. out to a hundred yards or so. All shoot flat enough to make significant hold over unnecessary.
Old June 19, 2017, 07:52 PM   #66
Jimbo-Indy

Had to read nearly the entire thread till my favorites were mentioned. Have a IZH35M that I used in a weekly bullseye contest at a local indoor range. It was open as to gun choice so I chose the IZH35 with a red dot sight and Eley ammo. After the first few weeks, few showed up to challange. The last round I used a 6 1/2" model 610 that was my favorite pin gun. Another favorite is a 6" model 19 with 38 SPL wadcutters.

I'm getting ready to sell the IZH35M. Anyone have a feel as to what they would go for these days? Can't find any on the web. Have the case, scope rail & 5 mags, all in great condition.
Old June 19, 2017, 08:03 PM   #67
mk70ss

Walter GSP
Old June 19, 2017, 08:30 PM   #68
saleen322

bac1023 thanks for the pictures. Always enjoy looking at those!

Quote:
I'm getting ready to sell the IZH35M. Anyone have a feel as to what they would go for these days? Can't find any on the web. Have the case, scope rail & 5 mags, all in great condition.
I would check here. More high-end target stuff here than about anywhere on the web.

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?...ZH+35m#p266002
Old June 21, 2017, 12:05 PM   #69
hagar

No love for the Beretta M76?

This isn't mine, but mine is similar except it has a stainless slide.

Old June 21, 2017, 01:43 PM   #70
rep1954

S&W K38-Masterpiece/Model-14 38spl. Just like pointing your finger and seeing a hole appear where you were looking.
Old June 21, 2017, 02:05 PM   #71
FITASC

Remington XP series in 22BR, 6mmBR, 7MMBR are all excellent target pistols........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 21, 2017, 06:40 PM   #72
dgludwig

Quote:
No love for the Beretta M76?
Well, though I know that pretty is what pretty does, if it wasn't so darned ugly...
Old June 21, 2017, 07:05 PM   #73
rickmelear

Always enjoy seeing bac 1023 collection. Thanks for sharing.
Old June 21, 2017, 10:02 PM   #74
monkeyfist

Wow, that is crazy. How many do you have in your complete collection if I may ask (bac1023)?

I'm actually impressed you can remember what each gun is.
Old June 22, 2017, 04:45 AM   #75
darkgael

My Bullseye box has one pistol in it at the present time. it is a Colt series 80 Gold Cup. the gun had additional work done to it by the late George Madore.
I use it with a Nelson .22 Conversion. This combo shoots well for me.
the back up gun is a Springfield "loaded" 1911. That gun uses a Marvel .22 conversion.

The most accurate target pistol that I own is a Pardini Free Pistol. In general, the Free pistols from Hammerli, Pardini, Morini, the Russian TOZ are the most accurate .22s that you can buy. They are very specialized, however, and not really what most shooters would consider.
It may well be that the most accurate pistols available today are the even more specialized Olympic ten meter air pistols from Feinwerkbau, Steyr, Walther, Hammerli, Morini....all capable of five or ten shot groups that are the same diameter as the pellet. Ten meter air is a game of tens: the ten ring is the size of the pellet. (Current WR is 594/600).

Last edited by darkgael; June 22, 2017 at 05:28 AM.