The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 13, 2014, 03:42 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gun Show in Virginia Beach pretty good

Went to the show yesterday (Sunday) and found ammunition to be pretty plentiful.

There were a lot of vendors there and they had a fairly good selection.

Gentleman who is generally in attendance with a USMC red ball cap was present. He specializes in WW II and Cold War Semi Autos with some older stuff thrown in. I have dealt with this guy previously and almost bought a pistol from him yesterday. I like his approach. If you have occasion in the future, you might want to check him out.

I opted instead for an excellent condition P 64 with holster and two magazines. (From a different vendor)

I spent the remainder of my pennies on a 2nd Model S&W .38 with a 3 1/4 inch barrel. This pistol has nearly all of the nickel plating gone. But mechanically it is as tight as the day it was made. Grips are complete and detail on them is very crisp.

Also bought some 9 mm and .380 brass from "Mac's Reloads". I like this guy. He is a Virginia Beach resident and runs reloads from his garage with some contracted out to other jobbers. He is a Dillon dealer (Didn't even know there was such a thing.) Told me he would sell caliber conversions at catalogue price which is ten bucks under the internet price.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; October 13, 2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old October 13, 2014, 08:56 AM   #2
SamNavy

I usually try and get to one gunshow per quarter, and usually alternate the VaBch and Hampton shows. The VaBch show has really grown since the craziness of the last 2 years. It seems like it gets bigger and more diverse every show. I was really glad earlier in the year when reloading supplies started to come back in stock. I stopped going to the Norfolk show awhile back because it's the same price as the other two and has about 1/3 the tables.

I've been trying to get up to Chantilly for the past few years, and it always works out I've got something else to do that weekend, but this year I'm going to schedule it in advance and get up there.
Old October 13, 2014, 09:02 AM   #3
SamNavy

I usually try and get to one gunshow per quarter, and usually alternate the VaBch and Hampton shows. The VaBch show has really grown since the craziness of the last 2 years. It seems like it gets bigger and more diverse every show. I was really glad earlier in the year when reloading supplies started to come back in stock. I stopped going to the Norfolk show awhile back because it's the same price as the other two and has about 1/3 the tables.

I've been trying to get up to Chantilly for the past few years, and it always works out I've got something else to do that weekend, but this year I'm going to schedule it in advance and get up there.
Old October 13, 2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I hit

The Virginia Beach, Hampton and Norfolk Shows each time they are held. I agree with you on all of your points. Increase in quality of shows, the availability of reloading stuff and the fact that the Norfolk show is not quite the draw of the other two.

I went to the Doswell show a coupla months ago and came home with a Model 92 at a fairly good price. Very nice venue there and a good show.
Old October 13, 2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Here are photos

First the Smith and Wesson. DA 2nd Model Serial number is in the 16xxx range

This pistol functions perfectly. It just don't look like much. I will take it down and blue it.

Here is the Mak

Old October 13, 2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Tidewater_Kid

Doc,

I bet you got the Smith and Wesson for a good price. I will be interested to see how you fix it up.

I went to the AGCA here in Birmingham this weekend and scored a couple of items for me as well.

TK
Old October 14, 2014, 03:04 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

TK

If you don't mind saying, what did you bring home?
Old October 14, 2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

BTW....

... I gave 200.00 and a brass frame 1860 Army Colt for the Mak and 100.00 for the S&W. I figure the Colt clone was worth about a hundred. That makes the price on the Mak 300.00. His opening price was 350.00 but I don't think anyone is selling them at that price. At least I don't have to worry about shipping.

Might have paid too much for the S&W but its mechanical condition is superb and it IS a S&W.
Old October 14, 2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Tidewater_Kid

Doc,

I don't think you paid too much at all for either. I would have been all over the S&W for $100.

I brought home two Lee-Enfield kits. One rifle was a 1920 Lithgow No. 1 Mk III* in good condition missing the magazine and safety screw. The bore was filled with grease and looks almost new when cleaned.

The other was a 1948 GRI Ishapore No. 1 Mk 3* missing the stock and a bolt. The finish on the metal is in excellent condition as is the bore. With the rifles I got one complete stock, three extra butt stocks and a bunch of small parts. I had a original Ishapore stock at home and most of the parts. I still need a bolt. Should be a good project. I going to use the mint stock to replace one a 1917 Enfield No. 1 MK III*. Should keep me busy for a bit.

TK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lithgow-1920-1.JPG (181.4 KB, 12 views)
Old October 15, 2014, 05:42 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

TK

Every show I go to, I look at the battle rifles. I tell myself to stay away from them. It is very hard..(I mean how do you turn down a Mosin Nagant at 159.00 especially since that was the first bolt action rifle bigger than .22 I owned when I was a kid.)

I see the vendors with parts out the gumpstump.

I see the crowds gathered around them.

I see the happy buyers carrying them around the show.

I really don't want to get into collecting, rather accumulating, another genre

I have been successful at holding out so far. Pictures like yours make it hard.
Old October 15, 2014, 06:03 AM   #11
zach_

Sounds like all of you had a good time at the gun show. I went to the local gun show here. Nothing caught my fancy. Could be because there was not a corny dog vendor. The usual local custom rifle vendors were not present either. I hope they still exist.
Old October 15, 2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Tidewater_Kid

Doc,

I went looking for Trapdoors and Rolling Blocks, but they were just too much money. The new Lee-Enfields bring my total up to 9. I love working on them almost as much as the Trapdoors. One guy had a mint late model Trapdoor but wanted $1700 for it. I didn't look any further.

TK