The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2019, 07:09 AM   #1
bobznew1

Best reloading book for PISTOL reloading?

I've been reloading rifle cartridges for 20+ years with great success, but I'm moving into pistol reloading now. I've typically gone by the Nosler Reloading Manual, and that's served my purposes great for rifle loading. But I want to learn more about pistol reloading.

I have the Lyman Reloading Handbook (49th Edition) and I've learned a lot from it. What other handbooks/manuals would be recommended?
Old January 2, 2019, 07:46 AM   #2
locknloader

You should have no problem doing pistol if your already experienced with rifle reloading, there is way less work involved with pistol. I have a Speer and hornady book out in the garage but I never use them, just go to powder manufacturer website and pull your load data from there and write it to a notebook.

Not much to read up on... reload the cases till they split then chuck them. If your after super accuracy then sort by case head like you would rifle.
Old January 2, 2019, 07:46 AM   #3
FITASC

Speer and Sierra make great manuals for rifle and pistol; a lot will depend on what brand of bullets you intend to use; some are better in that regard; otherwise, I just use the powder maker websites.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 2, 2019, 08:46 AM   #4
CDR_Glock

I love Speer, Hornady and Lyman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 2, 2019, 10:24 AM   #5
Old 454

Lee is a good one also.

I have lee lyman speer nosler hornady and bunch of the loading books from the late 40's and 50's
Old January 2, 2019, 11:23 AM   #6
reddog81

If you're already experienced with rifle reloading and have the Lyman manual, I'm not sure any of the other reloading manuals with offer any more in-depth knowledge.

Hanging out on this forum and other similar forums will some times offer up interesting nuggets of information. The problem with the internet or any forum is that a good portion of the answers given are either irrelevant to the situation at hand or just flat out wrong.
Old January 2, 2019, 12:27 PM   #7
mikld

Are you looking for load data or methods? Handgun ammo is reloaded a bit differently, but the theories are the same. My manual use is normally Lyman 50th, if loading lead then Lyman 4th Cast Bullet Handbook, then Hornady (newest #?), Nosler, Hodgdon, old Speer and last if ever, Lee (the Lee manual is an entertaining read, but the load data is lacking). The manuals I use also have good "how to" sections if you need a bit of a refresher for handgun loading...
Old January 2, 2019, 12:39 PM   #8
FITASC

With the advent of the Net, the powder makers' data sites are more current than any printed manual, so if all you want is load data, use their online sources.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 2, 2019, 05:35 PM   #9
std7mag

Alliant yearly publication is free. Just contact them.
Hodgdon's yearly publication should be coming out soon.
Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Lee, Speer all have manuals.
Western Powder (Accurate), Ramshot, Vitavhouri all have online data you can download for free.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 2, 2019, 06:20 PM   #10
GTOne

Pistol reloading is minor league compared to bottle neck rifle. If you really want all the data in one book then the Lee has it, hands down.
If you want all that data faster without all the info in the book that isn't data then check in to gun guides reloading booklets.
https://gun-guides.com/Reloading-Guides-9-c23085235
Old January 2, 2019, 06:38 PM   #11
Metal god

Quote:
If you're already experienced with rifle reloading and have the Lyman manual, I'm not sure any of the other reloading manuals with offer any more in-depth knowledge.
Agreed or at least agree the manuals you have should be good enough . I was in the same boat as well reloading rifle cartridges well before I started loading handgun cartridges . I did not buy any new manuals when I started load handgun cartridges ( Already had - Hornady , Sierra & Lyman 49th )

I'd add that the internet and forums like this is where I get my info now . The manuals give you the basics which is where you should start . Unless I'm looking for load data I come here when looking for reloading advice before I consult my manual . Rightly or wrongly it's been years since I looked at the front part of any manual

Although I'm going to start loading shotgun soon which will require me to read up on that method .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 2, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old January 3, 2019, 06:58 AM   #12
bobznew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I love Speer, Hornady and Lyman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lucky for me, I have Speer and Lyman already.

Somewhere. LOL
Old January 3, 2019, 07:08 AM   #13
bobznew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
Are you looking for load data or methods? Handgun ammo is reloaded a bit differently, but the theories are the same. My manual use is normally Lyman 50th, if loading lead then Lyman 4th Cast Bullet Handbook, then Hornady (newest #?), Nosler, Hodgdon, old Speer and last if ever, Lee (the Lee manual is an entertaining read, but the load data is lacking). The manuals I use also have good "how to" sections if you need a bit of a refresher for handgun loading...
Good question. Mainly techniques and methods. I have Lyman, Nosler, and Speer reloading manuals (plus some older manuals of big brand names). So those combined with the info I get here (and other sites) should give me at least a starting point for load info.

As a bit of background, my dad (also a shooter) gave me an extraordinary gift -- a Hornady Lock N Load AP press. (I think he did it to entice me to the dark side - pistol shooting LOL. He knows that I'm a nerdy guy who actually enjoys the science behind everything, problably as much or more as the actual shooting. He probably figures I'd shoot pistols with him more if I can reload the cartridges LOL.)

Anyway, I'm just wanting to study the art of pistol reloading as much as possible. I love the learning that's involved in this sport.
Old January 3, 2019, 08:11 AM   #14
FITASC

There is also this site:
http://handloads.com/loaddata/defaul...l&type=Handgun

handloads.com; plug in your cartridge and bullet and it pulls up loads from about every manual, and some folks who contributed
Old January 3, 2019, 08:21 AM   #15
mgulino

I use the Lyman 49th and Hornady (9th or 10th).
I also use the Hodgdon web site. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
Old January 3, 2019, 12:20 PM   #16
mikld

After reading some of the previous posts, I feel the need to share my Rule #1; I pay very little attention (none) to any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, or gun shop guru when seeking load data. For well over 35 years I've used published reloading manuals for my data (normally starting loads, and I record every load and can then refer back to my log for future loads). I had a squib in 1970 and never a kaboom. Yep, some of my manuals have had typos, but none that were dangerous, compared to the very questionable and dangerous loads I've seen posted on forums (I started looking at reloading forums in 2008). And we all have heard the braggart at the range or LGS talk about his "special" load that would probably result in a rapid disassembly of your firearm!
Old January 3, 2019, 01:48 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

Lyman puts out their Pistol and Revolver Handbook, but it's primarily just a manual without rifle loads. It does have more loads using more bullet weights though.
"...reloaded a bit differently..." Primarily the required flaring of the case mouth vs chamfering a rifle case mouth. Usually no need to trim either.
Old January 3, 2019, 01:52 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
After reading some of the previous posts, I feel the need to share my Rule #1; I pay very little attention (none) to any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads website,
If you go to the site I linked, you will see the data from VV, Hornady, Hodgdon, Alliant, Speer, etc. all aggregated on one site for easy access. Sure beats buying a lot of out of date books....
Old January 3, 2019, 02:59 PM   #19
Metal god

Quote:
After reading some of the previous posts, I feel the need to share my Rule #1; I pay very little attention (none) to any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, or gun shop guru when seeking load data.
Very wise on the data but who here in this thread suggested otherwise , You did base that quote on reading the posts above ?

Even I made sure NOT to say "get your load data from internet experts" while saying I get most of my advice from forums now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I'd add that the internet and forums like this is where I get my info now . The manuals give you the basics which is where you should start . Unless I'm looking for load data I come here when looking for reloading advice before I consult my manual
Not because everyone knows better then the manuals but because my knowledge of reloading is past the basics that most manuals discuss . Nothing better then experience and because I generally have a good foundation of knowledge on the subject . I can often weed through the so called "experts" rather quickly . If it where not for this forum I'd still be in the stone age of reloading .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 4, 2019, 08:00 PM   #20
mikld

I don't remember quoting anyone in my previous post (assumption on whose part?). Eventually a thread like this winds up with several "I use 19.7 grains of Whammo powder in my 66 cal Goofer Magnum" kinds of posts giving specific loads. And I'll stick with my post; I pay no attention, and I suggest the same to newer reloaders...

I guess I'm opposite in regards to reloading info; forums are the last place I'll look for anything more than simple hints. I've been reloading off and on since 1969, and continuously for the last 35+ years and find good, old school, books to be the best source of info (I started reloading way pre web when most published information was from legitimate sources, not social media "public opinion").

Last edited by mikld; January 4, 2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old January 4, 2019, 11:01 PM   #21
Metal god

Quote:
I don't remember quoting anyone in my previous post (assumption on whose part?)
Saying

Quote:
After reading some of the previous posts, I feel the need to share my Rule #1; I pay very little attention (none) to any forum expert
Infers you disagree with one if not many post and is not to different then quoting one of them .

Quote:
I started reloading way pre web when most published information was from legitimate sources, not social media "public opinion"
Which is likely why you feel more comfortable getting your info more from manuals and is completely understandable/expectable . I liken the web not to unlike friends talking at a party or the range in a group . There's always the guy in the group nobody takes serious while others you listen intently to . I mean , at least for me . There'd be no reason to be reading or posting on a forum if I thought so little of everyone else on the site . Then again I don't have the knowledge on the subject as many posting on this forum .

We all have are little hang ups about the internet and technology right . I never understood the guys saying they don't text but will email . Are they not the same thing , communicating through the written word ?? Texting is just easier and quicker , but who wants that .

Please don't take what I've been saying as snarky or combative , that is not my intent . Your way of going about this is more then reasonable . I just thought you were pointing out something you may have disagreed with , I may have got that wrong , if so sorry about that .

Old January 5, 2019, 11:57 AM   #22
mikld

Until I'm banned from this forum I will express my opinions, just like the folks with impressive screen names and high post counts (that take pride in dissecting and interpreting vocabulary of posts). My posts are pretty straight forward and I say what I mean. Folks that read the white stufff and not what is written in black are more often than not wrong.

New reloaders should be warned not to use load data from a forum. If they see a screen name with a high post count they may think the person knows what they are talking about and believe it, and sometimes use that data without confirmation. And I'll be a little more blunt this time; anybody taking load data from a forum and using it it a fool...

I see some forum members going waaay overboard with firearms/reloading safety (like lead "poisoning" from tumbling brass to full hazmat gear when casting) but freely post loads (particular loads down to the tenth of a grain). Possibly most of the load data will be safe, but I remember seeing dangerous loads posted on a forum; a 357 load that was posted a full 2 grains over max and was left on the forum for a full day before the poster came back and corrected his typo, "sorry I hit the wrong key". I wonder what would happen to a new reloader that used that load?

One member does not like my posts but that's life, I won't be crying over that, and I'm not obligated to him to explain myself so I'm done. I'm sure he will enjoy having the last word...

Last edited by mikld; January 5, 2019 at 12:20 PM.
Closed Thread