The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2020, 10:47 PM   #1
dyl

What would you do: discontinued P320sc

Update: supposedly parts support will continue and subcompact parts sales will be through calling Sig, perhaps not on the mainstream market anymore

If you found out a modern carry pistol that is on its way to you has just been discontinued, what would you do?

I ordered a Sub-Compact Caliber X-change kit for the Sig P320. I already have a full size. It will be here in a couple days. Then I found out why these kits were so hard to find: the P320 Sub Compact has been discontinued. I think it's because the slimmer P365 and 365XL have been having so much success.

Anyhow. I can't even find any recoil spring assemblies. From Sig's online stores, to web sellers like Midway, they aren't just marked Out of stock, they're marked "Discontinued". It takes a dual captured recoil spring which is a smaller size from their compact and full sized models.

Would you offload a modern polymer carry gun if you could never find recoil springs for it? This has no sentimental value, and strikers / striker springs / extractors should be available as they are shared with the larger models.

Last edited by dyl; July 20, 2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old July 20, 2020, 05:42 AM   #2
hemiram

You should be able to get parts for a long time, and you might want to get a set of springs for it if you are really worried about it. I own several guns made by manufacturers that are gone and even they have parts available, or substitute parts that will work, if needed. When I bought those "orphan" guns, I looked and found a recoil spring, and most of the other ones and bought them. I've never used a single one, but I don't shoot those a lot anyway. Sig isn't going anywhere, so I wouldn't be too worried about parts.
Old July 20, 2020, 07:37 AM   #3
TunnelRat

The OP already mentioned he has tried SIG’s online store.

To the OP, you could try calling SIG directly. I too have owned pistols that have been discontinued. However, the pistols I owned were popular enough that parts were already available and were so for some time. I don’t know that the P320sc meets this description. That said, you could likely go a fair amount of time without a new recoil spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 20, 2020, 10:22 AM   #4
dyl

Now here's an idea, if I can get Sig to cough up what rate their dual captured recoil springs are (I really wish it was a single coil non-captured design) I might be able to find substitute coil springs to disassemble and swap it out. I've emailed Sig (got tired of waiting on the phone) and will see what they have to say about recoil spring assemblies.
Old July 20, 2020, 09:09 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Does SIG recommend changing springs?
I have never had to change a recoil spring from wear.
Old July 20, 2020, 10:33 PM   #6
dyl

I just checked on the grand interweb and lo and behold I found a supposed parts change schedule for the P320 on another forum by someone who took the P320 armorer's course. I know the P226 has a schedule, haven't compared them but they look similar.

"Preventative Maintenance, Operator Performed: P320

Clean & Lubricate:
(a) After every firing or exposure to water, chemicals, dirt, or other contaminants.
(b) Monthly when carried as a duty weapon.
(c) Annually during storage.

Function Check: Whenever disassembled and reassembled.

Preventative Maintenance, Armorer Performed:

Field Strip & Inspection for proper Operator Maintenance: Annually
Detailed Disassembly & Inspection: Every 3 years or 5,000 rounds fired.

Parts Replacement Schedule, Operator Performed:

Recoil Spring:
Full Size: 10,000 rounds fired.
Compact: 5,000 rounds fired.
Sub-Compact: 5,000 rounds fired.

Magazine Spring: When the magazine fails to lock the slide open.

Barrel: If the pistol exhibits key-holing or unacceptable accuracy.

Parts Replacement Schedule, Armorer Performed:
Extractor Spring: 20,000 rounds fired.
Extractor: 20,000 rounds fired.
Striker Assembly: 20,000 rounds fired.
Takedown lever: 20,000 rounds fired.
Slide Catch Lever: 10,000 rounds fired.
Slide Catch Lever Spring: 10,000 rounds fired.
Slide Catch Lever Post: 10,000 rounds fired.
Trigger Bar Spring: 10,000 rounds fired."
Old July 20, 2020, 10:36 PM   #7
dyl

Got an email reply back:

"That model may be leaving main production, but warranty and parts support will not be dropping off.

For sales or paid services, please call our customer service department at 603 610 3000, option 1 on the main menu 830 AM- 5 PM EST Monday through Friday with your serial number (if needed) and contact info handy, and our knowledgeable phone reps will be happy to set this up for you, or answer any related questions. The email department is unable to process payment, and is not able to assist with such things unfortunately."
Old April 14, 2021, 06:47 PM   #8
toivo

I realize that this is any old thread and you've probably found a solution already, but here's my 2¢ anyway ... The new X-Compact has the subcompact-size slide and barrel. Is it possible that the recoil spring is the same?
Old April 14, 2021, 09:00 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
Update: supposedly parts support will continue and subcompact parts sales will be through calling Sig, perhaps not on the mainstream market anymore

If you found out a modern carry pistol that is on its way to you has just been discontinued, what would you do?
Load up on short magazines.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "