The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 8, 2016, 12:35 PM   #1
whitearrow

new franchi. is this normal??????

hello fellas. i got the franchi fieldstripped and clp'd up. it shoots great but patterns consistently 3" high at 13 yards witht he full choke in. a few pellets hit the target but the center of the pattern is approx. 2-3" high at 13 yards. i have installed the most aggressive shim hat came with the gun in hopes to lower my poi but no dice. i've heard that european shotguns pattern high due to the way that the foreigners are taught to put the bead under what they wanna hit. problem is i've been taught to put the bead on whatever i wanna hit. i've also heard that to put a bigger bead on the gun to bring poi down. does anyone know of the franchi factory front fiber optic bead thread pitch?
please help fellas,
eddie
Old March 8, 2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Worc

What do you plan on shooting with this gun?

In your other thread I told you to adjust your stock but, it sounds like you did already. Try all of your shims to see if there is any improvement.
Old March 8, 2016, 04:33 PM   #3
whitearrow

mainly doves but some squirrel and rabbits thrown in for good measure. i used the shim that was fattest on the top and most narrow on the bottom and had absolutely no effect on my poi.
thanks,
eddie
Old March 8, 2016, 05:53 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

You're not shooting high. For many years, shotguns were built to put the center of the shot pattern on target at 25yds. Pellets drop very fast. Being 2-3" high isn't high at all. If you have a shotgun around that doesn't have a vent rib on it, put a straight edge on top of the barrel and observe the bow in the middle of the barrel. It's there by design.
Old March 8, 2016, 09:37 PM   #5
whitearrow

I was under the impression that if 3" hi at 13yds then 10-12" hi at 40 yds. I just prefer to put the bead on whatever I wanna pop be it a squirrel or rabbit or a can I wanna make dance. Is it true if I raise the front beads height that will lower my poi? If so I'm thinking about installing a hiviz comp fiber optic sight.
Thanks,
Eddie
Old March 9, 2016, 01:32 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

It's not a rifle. Shot drops like the proverbial rock. No way it's going to keep rising like you think it is. If you want something flat shooting, get a rifle. Bird shot just doesn't do what you think it's doing. It sheds velocity very, very fast.
Old March 9, 2016, 02:09 PM   #7
whitearrow

Aight guys I have an update on my high patterning situation. I installed a magnetic hiviz front sight on my affinity and whamo it shot to point of aim. I would like to install a permanent hiviz comp sight IF it also sits a touch higher than my stock franchi fiber optic front sight.
Thanks,
Eddie