The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 8, 2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Kvon2

Single shot .410?

I want to get a new .410 shotgun and I'm debating between getting a single shot or a double barrel. If I go with the double I know what I'll get but I don't know what single shots are out there. I was thinking it might be a cheaper option.

A lot of the single shots in .410 I see are youth models, I want something sized for an adult.

I want to keep it under $500. It'll mostly be just for general plinking/patterning. Maybe the occasional frustrating round of trap. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old March 8, 2016, 12:00 PM   #2
FITASC

You won't find any decent double for under $500, and the only inexpensive single shots were made by H&R/NEF which have been discontinued and were not designed for trap. There some pumps models available and even a semi last I saw.
You might start scouring the typical online places to see what might fit your wants and wallet.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 8, 2016, 12:44 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

What double would you get?

Quote:
If I go with the double I know what I'll get...
What double would you get?

At one time I thought double-barrel 410's were extremely rare,,,
But I've seen quite a few at gun shows lately.

Dang but they are cute guns though.

I wonder if anyone ever made a drilling,,,
Twice barreled .410 with a .22 underneath would be slick.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 8, 2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Doyle

Even the lowest acceptable quality .410 double (like the Savage 311) will sell for about double the price of the same model in 12ga. Like FITASC said, less than $500 would be a steal - and anything really decent will go for much more. However, basic model single-shot .410s can be had for relatively little money.
Old March 8, 2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Kvon2

I already own a stoeger Uplander in 12 gauge and they make one in .410 so I am leaning towards that. Before we start bashing stoeger and the Uplander please know two things;

1. I started this thread looking for single barrel suggestions
2. I understand the reviews are mixed on stoeger and the Uplander but I have had an extremely positive experience with it over the last 2/3 years

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I completely respect what someone may say negative about stoeger but that's not what I came here for.
Old March 8, 2016, 07:08 PM   #6
Kvon2

Are .410 chokes really as difficult to find as my last Google search? I understand having a full or modified choke is going to be most useful, but what about shooting slugs?
Old March 8, 2016, 08:48 PM   #7
Doyle

Quote:
Are .410 chokes really as difficult to find as my last Google search? I understand having a full or modified choke is going to be most useful, but what about shooting slugs?
Slugs are largely useless out of a .410. Very poor as a hunting round and even worse as a SD round.
Old March 8, 2016, 08:55 PM   #8
Kvon2

I can see them being very useful for causing smiles when shooting at a melon or pumpkin or something similar
Old March 9, 2016, 12:19 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I want to get a new .410 shotgun...
Why does it have to be new???

There are tons of used .410s hanging around on the used racks all over the country. Often mechanically excellent and sometimes with surprisingly little finish wear. And well below "new" prices.

Quote:
Slugs are largely useless out of a .410. Very poor as a hunting round and even worse as a SD round.
I disagree. Absolutely there are better rounds for everything, but the .410 slug roughly matches some popular pistol rounds for velocity and energy, so I think "largely useless" isn't appropriate, for me, at any rate.

Another option for a single shot .410 is the T/C Contender. More spendy than the old, used "hardware store" grade guns to be sure, but you not only get a good gun, you get one with a tremendous range of possibilities with just a barrel change!
Old March 9, 2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Kvon2

There's actually a gun show coming up in my area so I'll see if I can find one there. Doesn't have to be new!
Old March 9, 2016, 01:15 PM   #11
chris in va

I've had my NEF Pardner since 2002 when I found it used for $65. Lockup is tight and the trigger is surprisingly excellent. I have gone through many chances to sell the thing but frankly it's just too much fun!

I used to visit a public clays club in NOVA that had 'wobble trap'. Short range and you don't know where the clay will fly. Let me tell you, despite askng the guy to throw singles, I managed to get a 24/25 more than once. Other guys with $3000 O/U couldn't match that.

If you can't find an O/U, the Pardner is more than capable of busting clays if you hit them soon enough. I really think the lack of recoil helps tremendously, like a .22.
Old March 9, 2016, 08:43 PM   #12
SHR970

Quote:
Doyle wrote: Slugs are largely useless out of a .410. Very poor as a hunting round and even worse as a SD round.
MMmm not so fast there. 1/5 oz. foster slugs tend to break apart and only penetrate 5-7" of gel. But they are also dumping 357- 44 mag levels of energy in that distance. In a frontal shot that will ruin anyones day.

1/4 oz. foster slugs hold together better and penetrate closer to 12". Again with 357-44 mag. levels of energy.

1/4 oz Brenneke slugs hold up just fine and will go 18" in gel. That is a through and through shot.

Slugs may not be the BEST choice but they are more likely to be better than bird shot.
Old March 9, 2016, 09:02 PM   #13
Kvon2

I just found legacy sports pointer series.

They make a .410 break action, under $200, and my dog is a German short haired pointer mut, I basically have to buy one right?
Old March 9, 2016, 10:38 PM   #14
lamarw

Don't know anything about that brand of firearms, but I do know a thing or two about GSP's . Mine will be 14 years old this October. Wife got him for me when I retired. I named him Browning after a different shotgun and his coloration. Ticked and Patched~
Old March 10, 2016, 10:12 AM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I just found legacy sports pointer series.

They make a .410 break action, under $200, and my dog is a German short haired pointer mut, I basically have to buy one right?
Now, just get ready for all the Turkish gun hate!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 10, 2016, 07:33 PM   #16
FITASC

Turkish gun hate depends on WHICH guns; same as for Spanish, English, Italian and American
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 10, 2016, 10:30 PM   #17
B.L.E.

Another reason to consider an older gun is that .410's and .22's weren't automatically considered "youth guns" a couple of generations ago and the gun will fit a grownup.
Also, don't rule out bolt action shotguns.
Old March 10, 2016, 11:42 PM   #18
AssaultTortoise

I have a few

I like my 410's I have a M6 Scout 410/22 and a Stevens 59A bolt action.
The Stevens was made as an adults rifle from walnut/blued steel.

They may not be the cannons my 12ga -18.5" barreled Stevens 311 or my similarly barreled bolt action mossberg is but they serve there purpose well.

Today I picked up a brand new Mossberg 510 mini for the kids to use.

Unless your dead set on a break action you may look into them. Its very nice.
I have seen .410 wood stocked fuller sized Mossbergs at WallyWorld recently for under $275. I have seen a lot of old 410 bolt guns for under $100.
Old March 11, 2016, 01:23 PM   #19
zippy13

Have you considered .410 tubes in your Uplander? My first foray into the .410 world was with a pair of the old Savage Four-Teners. Now, I have three O/Us with Briley tubes. The last set has screw-in chokes.

IIRC, most fixed choke, single shot, .410s have pretty tight chokes. This may not be the best for slug performance.

When considering plinking with a .410, don't overlook the cost of ammo. It's more expensive than 12-ga. It seems like a total rip-off -- you pay more and get less. The vast majority of us reload their .410s. When I was at university, I could re-load my .410 Skeet loads for 75¢ a box -- that was many years ago.
Old March 11, 2016, 04:45 PM   #20
Kvon2

Yeah the price of .410 shells is a bummer. I load my own 12 gauage shells for skeet and trap really just for the satisfaction of killing a clay with something I put together.

I'll definitely be looking in to getting some equipment for loading .410.
Old March 11, 2016, 06:39 PM   #21
FITASC

Shoot the 410 enough, and you can easily justify the cost of a used MEC Jr.