The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 17, 2002, 03:54 PM   #51
Quartus

You say that as if it's a GOOD thing!

BTW, what makes you think it's one or the other?

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old February 17, 2002, 04:29 PM   #52
LASur5r

cAP'N h.

Sorry, haven't had a chance to check TFL for almost a week.

My personal take on it? Should young folks take judo, garden variety? I definitely think they should learn basic falls and throws. In the old days (1960's) we took about a year to learn falling, falling , and more falling(self-falling and being thrown from every imaginable throw that the black belts could try.) We learned basic leg trips and scoops until our shins were black and blue. Then we learned counter moves...how to stop these attempted throws.

Only problem is, how do you teach a young person when and when not to use it? You can try but in the heat of the moment, I have seen some really sad accidents in all kinds of martial arts from young people. Most of the kids had to leave their chosen school because of the injuries.

If you are brought up the old way like I was...."an injury occurs from a lack of adequate practice." and being afraid of injuring someone else...because there were dire consequences for hurting someone, then you were very careful to learn the "gentle throws."

Otherwise, I brought my daughter up wrestling almost every day....since she was two....she has learned finger and wrist throws. (jiujitsu), take downs and inside hits and grabs. She is 15 years old now and has been in 4 fights that the guys were seriously trying to hurt her. Yes, more than one guy. Now she is learning JKD.
Old February 18, 2002, 07:31 PM   #53
Quartus

Thanks, LA!