The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
TheTinMan

Bullets for .45 Auto Rim

I'm looking for a 185 or 200 grain jacketed (or plated) bullet .451 diameter. Application is Model 1917 Colt revolver. So far, there are lots of choices except that I would prefer a cannelure. IMHO just makes sense to have one for a revolver cartridge so that I can do a roll crimp and avoid bullets creeping out of their cases.

Is this overkill since I'm only going to shooting low-power loads anyway? (old gun)

Alternatively, I've got lots of Rainier 200gr plated SWC. Any problems with that bullet in a Model 1917?

Accuracy isn't critical. Just way to send a few rounds down range from time to time with this old hand cannon.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Loader9

I can't imagine anybody not having a cannelure tool that shoots any of the old rounds or intends to collect old guns. These things are worth their weight in gold to me. You can take those Rainier bullets and put a cannelure on them yerself or any bullet of yer choosing. Here's one on fleabay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CH-C-H-Cannelure...item35a9938ece

I believe Corbin also makes one. I have the CH like the the above- works fabulous for the hard to load cartridges like 38-40, 357Sig, etc. And if you want to change the seating depth on a bullet that has a cannelure, just add another one.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:41 AM   #3
kraigwy

I had a Model 25 Smith and a Smith 1917 that I use to shoot auto rim in.

I've found that my standard target load, 230 Cast LRNs pushed by 3.8 grns of Bullseye worked great. Its mild yet still gets to the the 50 yard bullseye target.

I used the same Taper Crimp I use for my 45 Gold Cup and 1911a1, and I've never had a problem of bullet movement.

At one time I had a lot of 45 Auto Rim brass because I thought the half moon clips were a pain in the butt.

But like a dummy I traded my Model 25 and lost the 1917 in a Burglary.

I think the 185-200 SWCs would work great, its just that I was set up for the 230 RNL and saw no reason to change. At least you wouldnt have to worry about feeding problems with SWCs in a revolver.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 27, 2010, 11:19 AM   #4
TheTinMan

Loader9 - wow! I never imagined that there was such a thing as a "cannelure tool"

Thanks!