The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 7, 2009, 10:13 PM   #26
BobbyT

I'll 2nd the Dog Whisperer. Cesar has an approach that works, and strikes a great balance between making an obedient dog and a great pet.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:17 PM   #27
DRice.72

Great looking pup! Ours does what that one is doing in that pic. My GF comments that he isn't much of a guard dog cause of how much he sleeps. I tell her he is in "stand-by" mode. LOL
Old December 8, 2009, 06:10 AM   #28
comn-cents

I had an American bulldog that was very balanced. I would hate be on the receiving end of her bite if you were breaking into my house. Yet would love to be on the receiving end if you were invited in. Like HogDogs said it seems that they can just flip and switch and be very ruthless (my words). Yet roll over for small children in a heartbeat. There is a book by Mike Harlow (http://www.harlowholsters.com/books.htm) he also makes leather products. He says the same thing about AB and other bully breads. It's a great read. My experience is that if a dog is balanced it is possible for them to be both pet and guard dog. There are a few pic’s in Mike Harlow’s book where his son is sitting on the back of a pit right after it was done with some “bite” work. BALANCED…
Old December 8, 2009, 08:51 PM   #29
oneounceload

I have a "blonde" golden retriever who doesn't bark - not that she can't, she just doesn't. I can count the number of times she has barked on my ten fingers - and she's 12 years old. Someone comes to the door, she goes looking for "pets" and attention. Makes her the gentlest dog (no leash to walk her, she stays at heel until released to run), but NOT the best from a protection standpoint. Hopefully yours will at least bark at the UPS guy.
Old December 8, 2009, 10:52 PM   #30
Wacko

I have had numerous dogs most labs. all trained to be pets and companions. if trained to be a good companion they will always protect and alert. Mine have always alerted and protected me and my dad of intruders and what not.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:58 AM   #31
taz1

i have had about every kind of mutt there is. lots of dumped dogs at the farm.
all my dogs are given care and love and respond in turn.

1.they are given a swat and placed out side if they dont use the paper as puppies inside.
2.they will try to establish their status in the pack. i have 8 kids so it is watched closely untill the first dominance trial is instagated, usally over food or chew bone one of the little ones tries to take away.when the first growl, raised hair, bar teeth ect. is shown the true alfa dog (me) mops the area with offending critter.place is established and never a problem again.
3. same as above the first time it touches the road. same result.

seams mean but it goes to their instinct level and only needs to be done once except with the potty training.they are wired to be dominated by a alpha leader, most any other unwanted behavior can be acomplished with voice and reward.

as for protection, it is in the breed as to if they protect or bark or just run. most will die to protect their pack.

my dogs are all ways under foot and play with the kids like a bunch of idots, mob you for pets and beg like a hobo at christmas.

try to kick in the door and your gonna get mauled, try to get to the kids and well god might fogive you so tiny and ittle-bit the 200+ mastiffs are gonna set up the meeting!

if you have limited space a jack russle terrior is a great one, mine will make sure i know if a toad has entered the yard without permission and he thinks he is bigger than the mastiffs, the wolverine of the dog world.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:08 AM   #32
ZeSpectre

Quote:
2.they will try to establish their status in the pack. i have 8 kids so it is watched closely untill the first dominance trial is instagated, usally over food or chew bone one of the little ones tries to take away.when the first growl, raised hair, bar teeth ect. is shown the true alfa dog (me) mops the area with offending critter.place is established and never a problem again.
I've been on the receiving end of some serious grief from some folks who think I'm being "mean" to the dog when we hit that point in the training but I have to say I've never seen a dog more miserable and unbalanced than one who doesn't have a clearly defined "place" in "the pack". Once it's made clear that (inside the pack) two legs trumps four every time, EVERYONE is much happier.