The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Soclosenotnear

Skb/Ithaca 600 over/under 12 gauge

I picked one of these shotguns up recently from my pawn shop. I've yet to shoot it but am generally pleased with the quality of the fit and finish. This the first over/under I've ever owned.

I realize these shotguns haven't been made for some time. Are there any weak points that if broken, would be difficult to source parts? I don't know much about skb stuff, but for Ithaca to put their name on it, I assume it's comparable in reliability?
Old July 13, 2016, 06:45 AM   #2
FITASC

SKB has been around since the mid 1880s. (They found making auto parts more profitable these days). The older ones like you have should have readily available parts from Guns Unlimited in Omaha:
http://gunsunlimitedomaha.com/
They were the major importer and took over all remaining spare parts and have contracted with AKUS in Turkey to make the "new" SKBs.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 13, 2016, 08:09 AM   #3
kraigwy

I had one of the skeet versions of those 600s in the mid 70s when I was heavy into skeet shooting.

Shot tons of ammo. Tried to get the recoil down. I put a Merc. Recoil Reducer in the stock.

Then got a wild ideal if I loaded light (2 3/4 dram) loads. Used Federal Paper hulls to reload. Then they had a paper filler in the bottom of the case, which also helped to cut down recoil.

The combination worked, I got the recoil down so much the second barrel wouldn't cock when the first barrel fired.

I loved that gun, perfect balances, I got more "hundred straights" with that gun then I did with all my other shotguns combined.

Wished I kept it, but I traded it for something when I started shooting rifle for the National Guard. Pretty much got out of shotguns altogether.

Sheet and trap were good games to for shooting moving targets with rifles. After all my shotgun work of the mid 70s, when I went to Sniper School, no one in the class could touch me in the moving target phase of the course.

I miss my 600, also miss my single barreled Ithaca Century trap gun I used in trap during the same period.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 16, 2016, 01:52 AM   #4
eastbank

keep the hinges lubed and make sure the butt stock bolt is tight and then shoot the hell out of it. eastbank.
Old July 16, 2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Soclosenotnear

Thanks for the info fellas. I've yet to shoot it, but can't wait to shoot skeet with it.
Old July 30, 2016, 09:27 PM   #6
Soclosenotnear

Shot just a couple shells out of her this evening. Performed wonderfully. This is the first shotgun I've had with actual ejectors. What a nice touch.