The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2016, 12:04 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

Shotguns for coyote

I'm planning a coyote hunt with my son next month but where we're going necessitates using shotguns. For my peace of mind. Cattle, roads, etc.

I'd like a load that's yote lethal to 75 yards but which energy dissipates after that. I'm seeing loads that have 'T' shot. What is that?

Anyway, could someone point me in the right direction concerning shot size and choke combination?

thanks
Old January 17, 2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Ruger480

75 yards is asking a lot. Too much in my opinion. That distance with a shotgun isn't going to be effective for coyote.

I suggest you cut that range in half and look at using a set up similar to what is used by serious goose or turkey hunters.
Old January 17, 2016, 01:39 PM   #3
jdscholer

I've killed many coyotes, (called) with shotguns. Started out with my own reloads with #2 lead shot, but progressed on to #4 buckshot. (commercial stuff) #4 buffered shot in 3" mag is very good, and I've dumped coyotes out in the sixty plus yard range. You're pushing it with hopes for consistent 75 yard results.

My advice if you want it, is to set up your calling situations so that you can't see much more than 40 to 50 yards. If you do that, you will have responding coyotes well within your shotgun range. If you set up in places where you can see further, you will have the aggravation of watching a coyote standing a hundred yards out, looking at you and refusing to come closer.

The wonderful game you're wanting to play is all about good head cammo, wind management, and 360 degree visibility; two guys siting back to back is perfect. Always be ready to resume calling after a shot, because a second dog is often in your future. I've killed a few coyotes literally within spitting distance, and that WILL get your heart rate up. jd
Old January 17, 2016, 01:46 PM   #4
FoghornLeghorn

Thanks. Let's say we limit the range to fifty yards and use #4 buckshot commercial loads. What choke should we be using? The tighter the choke the tighter the groups, right? Full choke for this application?

Also, I bought a Remington HD shotgun but swapped the barrel for a Remington (turkey barrel I think) barrel. What choke would that be?

Old January 17, 2016, 02:06 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...fifty yards and use #4 buckshot..." Buckshot of any size is nearly 100% unreliable past 35ish yards. However, with an extra full/turkey choke, you might get to 50. You'd have to pattern with a box of as many brands as you can to find the brand your shotguns shoot best and tightest.
Even with cattle, roads, etc., you'd likely be better off with a small calibre rifle. Far more precise shot placement. And #4 buckshot can travel over 500 yards and still be dangerous.
Old January 17, 2016, 03:11 PM   #6
amd6547

Hornady Varmint Express #4 Buck has the VersaTite wad, which is their version of the FliteControl. It patterns well at distance from a cylinder bore, and Hornady seems to aim it at the coyote hunter.

http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-VX-4-Buckshot/
Old January 17, 2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Virginian

Unless and until you pattern YOUR shotgun with YOUR loads, you cannot accurately predict performance. I have gotten 70 Yard killing patterns with Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote (T) loads. Not cheap, but very good. But, I had to play around with choke and ended up with something like a loose Improved Modified constriction. With a standard Improved Modified I was good to 65 yards max. With larger than #4 lead (plated) or #1 tungsten alloy I found that less than Full constriction yielded tighter patterns downrange. All that is with premium buffered loads and/or handloads.
Old January 20, 2016, 03:07 AM   #8
bamaranger

T shot or T buck

T shot is a pellet size of course, .20 if I am not mistaken. That puts "T" shot inbetween "BB (.177) and #4Buck (.24).

Guessing now, but I think they are rated at 50 pellets per ounce.