The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1
dscaife123

.38s COL issue

I am new to reloading and I am starting out by reloading a 125gn RNFP lead bullet in .38 - for cowboy action shooting.

My question is about COL or OAL - From the data I could find online at Hodgon's data resource - the COL for this round should be 1.445". When I seat my bullet so that I put a crimp in the grove it's COL is 1.347. Should I be concerned about this shorter overall length?

how will this affect pressure?
Old January 23, 2011, 12:22 PM   #2
SL1

In general, seating the bullet deeper will increase the pressure.

However, USUALLY Cowboy Action loads are low-pressure loads to begin with, and there USUALLY is plenty of room for a 125 grain bullet in the .38 Special case, so pressure is not increased very much.

HOWEVER, there are exceptions. If you are using a specialty powder like TrailBoss that is intended to FILL the case with even low-power loads, then you need to be careful that you are not compressing the powder charge when you seat the bullet. Supposedly, compressing TrailBoss will spike the pressure. (I am not dumb enough to have proven that for myself.)

SL1
Old January 23, 2011, 07:50 PM   #3
dscaife123

thanks for the response. I was planning on using trail boss so i will be careful not to compress the powder in the case.
Old January 31, 2011, 08:54 PM   #4
gunnutt69

sass rules

sass rules only call for lead can not be seatted below the case neck. the fps can not be over 1000 fps or under 400 fps. i assume your compitetion shooting. if your reload is within these specs you should be good.
Old February 1, 2011, 07:28 AM   #5
PA-Joe

This may be your problem: "Hodgon's data resource". What is the COL that your bullet manufacturer recommends? Each bullet manufacturer has their own COL based upon the weigth and ogive of the bullet.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:05 AM   #6
wncchester

Concerns about increased pressure in handguns from seating deeper apply mostly to small auto-loader cartridges loaded to high pressures...think 9mm. About the only thing to be concerned about with modest .38 Special loads is not to be so long they lock the cylinder and not so short the bullets get lost inside.

You will be fine seating so you can crimp in the cannalure.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:08 AM   #7
wncchester

duplicate