The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 8, 2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Shotgun12

Where's The Black Powder?

Can anybody clue me in, as to where a person can order REAL Black Powder for cap & ball firearms?
All I’ve been able to find so far, is the fake stuff. So unless there’s some kind of real advantage in using this newer stuff, I’d rather buy the real deal.
Being new to this type of thing .... any advice will also be appreciated.
Old May 8, 2019, 09:51 PM   #2
5whiskey

grafs.com

Order 5 plus pounds and shipping and hazmat will be mitigated.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 8, 2019, 10:53 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Track of the Wolf.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:25 PM   #4
Wyosmith

Bear River Powder
P.O. Box 2853. Evanston, Wyoming. 82931

307- 789-3613 or 307-679-0886.

E-mail: [email protected]
Old May 8, 2019, 11:41 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Local stores won't sell it anymore, too costly apparently, but Idk why that is. I can buy 50 lbs of black powder and not pay a dime to keep it in my closet, but a store can't buy 50 lbs of it and sell it without having to pay some sort of fee? Doesn't make sense to me.

They're more than happy to sell you the Pyrodex crap that rots your guns unless you spend an hour cleaning them thoroughly every time you shoot.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:36 AM   #6
Hawg

https://powderinc.com/ Hazmat and shipping are included in the price.
Old May 9, 2019, 08:30 AM   #7
John E.B. Rawton

Powder Inc is where I got mine. Mix and match 2f and 3f including brands. I could only afford 10 lb this go around. The more you buy the cheaper it is. One shop up the road sells goex over the counter.
Old May 9, 2019, 09:56 AM   #8
Road_Clam

Plenty of online resources for BP. My local Bass Pro also sells it but Bass Pro is very expensive. My online source :

https://mainepowderhouse.com
Old May 9, 2019, 10:17 AM   #9
Pahoo

Class-A "Explosive"

Quote:
I can buy 50 lbs of black powder and not pay a dime to keep it in my closet, but a store can't buy 50 lbs of it and sell it without having to pay some sort of fee? Doesn't make sense to me.
It would make sense if you understood the difference between BP and that other crap. Real BP is classified as a Class-A explosive and the other "crap" is considered a Combustible Mixture. The regulations and storage of BP "has" to be more restrictive. Historically there have been more BP factory explosions that replacement propellants. …..

I would not recommend your closet storage to anyone but that is your call.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 9, 2019, 10:46 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Local stores won't sell it anymore, too costly apparently, but Idk why that is. I can buy 50 lbs of black powder and not pay a dime to keep it in my closet, but a store can't buy 50 lbs of it and sell it without having to pay some sort of fee? Doesn't make sense to me.
Sale of BP now requires controlled access (only authorized employees) and approved, secure storage (a dedicated BP safe).
The additional hassle, expense, and storage space required push it beyond the threshold of what most retailers are willing to deal with.

There are only four places that I know of, where I can still get BP, within 200 miles of my city. One is Bear River (posted by Wyosmith), to the east. Another is a BP specialty shop, to the west. And the third is a "surplus" store, just north of Ogden, Utah.
There was a fourth, another BP specialty shop, but the owner is dying and only opens his shop for friends (the guy has always been jerk when I talked to him and/or tried to buy something from him - even before the illness - so I don't qualify ).

Quote:
They're more than happy to sell you the Pyrodex crap that rots your guns unless you spend an hour cleaning them thoroughly every time you shoot.
If you don't clean thoroughly after you shoot BP, you're in for a rude awakening.
Old May 9, 2019, 01:42 PM   #11
Shotgun12

Lots of good info. Thanks guys.
Old May 10, 2019, 07:26 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Sale of BP now requires controlled access (only authorized employees) and approved, secure storage (a dedicated BP safe).
The additional hassle, expense, and storage space required push it beyond the threshold of what most retailers are willing to deal with.

There are only four places that I know of, where I can still get BP, within 200 miles of my city. One is Bear River (posted by Wyosmith), to the east. Another is a BP specialty shop, to the west. And the third is a "surplus" store, just north of Ogden, Utah.
There was a fourth, another BP specialty shop, but the owner is dying and only opens his shop for friends (the guy has always been jerk when I talked to him and/or tried to buy something from him - even before the illness - so I don't qualify ).
At least you have access to black powder within 200 miles, I have to drive 1000 miles to Friendship, IN and the black powder festival they have their to get any.

The gas for that round trip isn't worth it.

Quote:
If you don't clean thoroughly after you shoot BP, you're in for a rude awakening.
That's true, BP or Pyrodex will rot them out. I guess I just get frustrated by those who tout Pyrodex as "less corrosive" compared to BP when it's equal in corrosiveness.
Old May 10, 2019, 07:32 PM   #13
HillBilly Willy

Get to know your local gun shop owners. Talk black powder with them and they might be able to hook you up with a group buy. I have found a few without any difficulty that shoot the stuff, and/or know where to get some.
Old May 10, 2019, 08:50 PM   #14
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
I actually purchased a FTF sale of about 12# of Swiss 1.5F from the Maine Powder House. Per regulations BP needs to be stored in a "vault" as well as "off site". Now i'm unsure of exactly the technical description or "off site". But I do know that the Maine Powder House stores their powder in a steel vault that looked to be a smaller modified steel conex storage container and stored in a remote location in the middle of a privately owned sand pit.