The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 29, 2010, 10:37 PM   #151
dabigguns357

We need to fire all border patrol and bring in the US military to patrol.Set up guard towers 20 feet high,with bullet proof glass,1,000 yards apart.Then station 3 snipers in the tower.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:27 AM   #152
leetosaurus

I'm rooting for the driver. I hope he sues.

The agents that hassled him are a domestic threat to american citizens, and they dont deserve to live in this country.
Old May 30, 2010, 01:58 AM   #153
johnwilliamson062

In Mimms the word legitimate is used several times. I quoted one and you misunderstood me as quoting the other or believe the term is repeated to indicate the latter "legitimate" refers to the first, which I admit it may, although I did not originally read it as such.

In Mimms the officer does it to EVERY person he stops. At the BP station it is obviously selective. Since there is a selection, does this require a reason for the discrimination? I don't really buy the reasons why the BP officer would ask him out of the vehicle. His windows did not appear very darkly tinted and once you throw that out the other things aren't really believable. Do you REALLY believe the BP officer was concerned for his safety? I am not watching the video again right now, but I seem to remember the BP at the window turning his back to the vehicle to confer with other BP repeatedly. If he turns his back to the vehicle I don't think he is very concerned with the the .mil officer as a threat to his safety.

They bleep when the officer says his name. In many of the instances the bleeps are very long. I can only imagine he is giving his name and rank, possibly along with other info such as his station. At the very least he gives his .mil ID first when his passport or drivers license is available. If/When he introduces his rank and the fact that he is a military officer into the equation as a ?character defense? he is then VERY responsible for representing that rank as he is presenting himself as an officer of that rank not as a US citizen.
He remains relatively calm throughout the exchange. He isn't screaming or pounding on the glass or anything like that. I don't remember him using any insults. He seems very frustrated at times and some of his answers are "short." I have witnessed officers behaving worse without consequence.

Quote:
The driver was an Officer of the US Military. His conduct was certainly unbecoming. Had the situation been reversed, you can be assured that the Officer would have placed the driver in irons for gross insubordination.
This is not an interaction between a military officer and his subordinate. Your post seems to indicate that a military officer should expect to be subordinate to any civilian LEO they come across. If you were to roughly translate the ranks of those initially involved across their organizations, what would they be? Should they be subordinate? Is that a good idea at all, especially if they believe they are being issued illegal and unconstitutional orders? Respectful is one thing, subordinate another. What if it was a female officer asked to submit to a cavity search by a male BP? Should she submit anyways simply b/c she is a military officer?

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; May 30, 2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:57 AM   #154
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, enough.

This has been thoroughly debated, and some of you have been getting far snarkier than is good for your own good. Much more and some people could be getting vacations.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread