The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 1999, 05:41 PM   #26
Jeff Thomas

snoman, I don't have any exact measurements to share with you, but at 25 yards my barrel could produce a tight group just using a concrete bench as a rest for my arms. And, this is with mediocre eyesight ...

I'll take it out again in a couple of weeks and redo my sighting at 50 yards on bags - I'll let you know what I find. Also, you might check out what Hans has on his site at http://www.vangcomp.com/test_results.htm regarding pattern testing with shot.

I will tell you that after my class, and seeing what this gun will do at the range, there is no question in my mind that slugs are a tremendous round in this gun. I look forward to seeing how the groups look at 50 yards, and doing my best on bags to give the gun a fair test. While it can't be a rifle, it seems to give excellent accuracy with slugs. And, boy ... those holes are big!
Old May 18, 1999, 10:30 PM   #27
snoman

Sounds great, I will be waiting...

---snoman---
Old May 27, 1999, 03:46 PM   #28
Ewok

Jeff, how does the porting affect muzzle flash? I've heard that porting, in general, is detrimental to night vision. Vang claims " the ports reduce muzzle flash, which in turn
helps to retain night vision and keep the shooters location less conspicuous in low
light conditions."
Old May 28, 1999, 12:41 AM   #29
Jeff Thomas

Ewok, I haven't tried the gun at night. But, I have another 870 without a ported barrel, so we'll add that to our list of tests. I'll probably have a chance to take 'em out again in mid June. I'll post something on the board when I know more. With any luck, I'll get my wife to take a few photo's with the digital camera.
Old May 29, 1999, 12:23 PM   #30
bruels

I have a Mossberg 500 with a Vangcomp ported barrel. The amount of burning gas through the ports at night is insignificant.

------------------
Bruce Stanton