The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 1, 2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Mobuck

How to make things slower

Something I noticed in the NFA application.
If I send TWO applications at the same time, they may go to different desk wieners who then go through all the background checks separately wasting enough time to have processed someone else's application.
The agency I work for couples multiple interviews to ensure both/all are handled by the same field person preventing this stupidity.
Old July 1, 2018, 07:58 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

Yes, I sent in two applications at the same time. One returned because they didn’t like the formatting of the address. One processed. So I waited 12 months for one stamp and 13 months for the other. Not that waiting 12 months to get a stamp processed was any great sign of efficiency either...but I understand how it goes.

If you are a bureaucratic agency, it takes 2-5 years to get any kind of increase in your budget. If your work starts exponentially growing, you are hosed because there is nobody to do the work and won’t be for awhile. Still, you’d think basic measures like the one you suggested would at least be attempted in the name of efficiency and consistency.
Old July 1, 2018, 02:26 PM   #3
dogtown tom

About three weeks ago I received six letters from ATF NFA Branch.
All six Form 4's were to the same transferee, signed by the same examiner on the same day.
Instead of using one envelope, they mailed each one separately.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 1, 2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Mobuck

"All six Form 4's were to the same transferee, signed by the same examiner on the same day.
Instead of using one envelope, they mailed each one separately."

So, what are the chances the "examiner" spent all day running the same name through the process 6 times?
Old July 1, 2018, 08:56 PM   #5
Chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
"All six Form 4's were to the same transferee, signed by the same examiner on the same day.
Instead of using one envelope, they mailed each one separately."

So, what are the chances the "examiner" spent all day running the same name through the process 6 times?
Right? Good lord. Its like they make it so rhese folks CAN'T be efficient. Same crap my Wife delt with when she was in federal service. It hurts the brain.

Last edited by Chainsaw.; July 1, 2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: To make the text bigger.
Old July 2, 2018, 01:43 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

there is the view from the outside looking in, and the view from the inside looking out.

What looks like inefficiency might be following approved procedure.

You see 2 or 4 different forms to/from the same person processed separately, and think its stupidly wasteful. And, maybe, it is.

But really, is it?? each separate application even from the same person is for a different item, isn't it?? 4 different serial number guns means 4 different forms, right??

Well, if its the procedure that each one is its own "work package", then they can't be lumped together just because its the same person applying.

Do remember one of the major unwritten rules of any organization, "it doesn't have to make sense, its procedure!"
Old July 2, 2018, 11:41 AM   #7
dogtown tom

True, each application is a separate action, but it is not unusual to receive two or more approved Form 4's in the same envelope.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 2, 2018, 07:50 PM   #8
Mobuck

"4 different serial number guns means 4 different forms, right??"

IF the NFA applications a for "guns".
What about the applications for 2,3, or 4 identical Form 1 suppressors to the same individual?
I'm not talking about putting all the numbered items on a single approval form, I'm saying multiple investigations of the same individual for multiple items in the system would be a horrendous waste of time.

Last edited by Mobuck; July 2, 2018 at 08:02 PM.