The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 30, 2017, 06:42 AM   #1
vaaccess

What's the best rifle/caliber choice for my situation?

I'm battling some fox, coyote, wild dogs, and other critters on my property and need something that I can use to knock them down anywhere from 50 yards up to ~175 yards depending on where they are invading my property at any given scenario. I currently have a 10/22 LR and a 12-gauge. After reading and thinking through the options and looking at ballistic differences, I'm narrowed it down to a .223, a 22-250, and a .243. (I considered a .270 for a bit, but it's just too much power for what I'm needing.) While my primary use is listed above, I'd rather not have TOO many guns so want something that is relatively versatile and is very accurate.
I don't plan on doing an excessive amount of range shooting, just enough to get the gun setup/sighted, so bullet cost alone won't be a HUGE consideration. I also don't plan to do my own reloading. That said, I don't want to drop a ton on a rifle/scope setup and will likely be buying used to keep the costs down.
Curious to get some insightful thoughts/ideas.
Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old May 30, 2017, 07:58 AM   #2
dahermit

First, change your question from, " ...the best...", to, "a good".
Either the .223 and the .243 choices you mentioned would be, "good".
Old May 30, 2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Ricklin

Cost is a consideration?

Hardly a better time to buy an AR, given your loosely defined needs I would go with .223.

A flat top to which you add a 3-9 variable, shop it hard and you can stay around 750 all in, prices are very attractive right now.
Old May 30, 2017, 08:45 AM   #4
kraigwy

For what you're talking about, and on a budget its gonna be hard to beat the Ruger American Predator in 223 or 243. Right at $400.

I have two, one in 6.5 CM and the other in 204 Ruger. They do match the hype in the accuracy department. Plenty of YouTube videos demonstrate that and based on shooting my two, I can attest to their accuracy.

For what you want to shoot, I would recommend the 223 Version. They have the 1:7 twist so you could shoot any 223 bullet our there from 50-90 gr. 223s are about the cheapest rifle ammo out there short of reloading. Cheaper yet if you reload.

OK so its not an AR, but I've haven't seen the need for a semi auto varmint rifle.

The RAP comes threaded for a brake. I know the 223 recoil doesn't warrant a brake but muzzle brakes are good at holding down the muzzle whip making it easier to see hits.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 30, 2017, 08:50 AM   #5
jmr40

223 is your answer. The 22-250 is a great round, but it doesn't do anything a 223 won't do to predators inside of 300 yards. The 223 typically shoots heavier bullets better and would be a better option for deer size game. Most 22-250's are designed to shoot lighter varmint bullets, not the heavier big game bullets. The 223 will handle both.

Same with 243. It is a better option for longer range and is also a dual purpose round suitable for big game up to elk. More gun than you need.

223 ammo is much cheaper than either.

If you're inclined an AR rifle with a scope is plenty accurate and you can lay down some serious firepower. Prices have come way down, but you'd still need to spend $600-$700 for a decent rifle.

In your case I'd look hard at the Ruger American bolt rifles. They are absolute tack drivers and the price is right. A local shop is selling the Predator version for $389 out the door including tax. The standard rifle is closer to $350.

Winston Churchill
Old May 30, 2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Ricklin

Kinda funny

I didn't even think of an inexpensive bolt gun. No need for semi auto firepower given your stated usage. My brain went to AR given the caliber.
The less expensive bolt gun would leave more $$$ for good glass.

I like the made in Japan Bushnell scopes. The Elite series are excellent vs. the Wally world cheap Bushnell scopes. Great value given the quality.
Old May 30, 2017, 09:02 AM   #7
taylorce1

Not a huge price difference between new and used these days. Most pawn shops and local gun stores are asking more for used rifles than I can order online new. Private sales are where I find the best deals on used firearms. I don't like buying any of the three choices you mentioned used because the barrel could be shot out. I'm always afraid they've been rode hard and put up set so to speak. Low recoil rifles are often times shot with the barrels very hot.

The last .223 I bought used had heat cracks in the throat and I couldn't reach the lands with a 55 grain bullet seated in the case. It was okay though, I got it cheap enough and I was going to swap the barrel anyway. I don't know what happened with that rifle, but I imagine it was shot a lot with the barrel very hot.

Cost seems to be your main concern, if that's true then .223 is really what you need. As mentioned above AR rifles are really affordable right now, so are many of the budget line bolt actions. The last Remington M700 ADL I purchased in .223 was just over $400 with tax, and it was a package deal with a cheap 4-12X40 scope mounted on it. Something like this will more than likely fill your needs as well.
Old May 30, 2017, 09:30 AM   #8
the possum

I like a semi auto for this sort of thing. Many times if ya see one varmint, there's another one. Quick follow up shots might let ya take the second one before it runs off. Or, let you make a quick decisive finishing shot if the first one didn't put 'em down for the count. Also, wild dogs often form packs and become dangerous. A semi auto would be much preferred if ya get cornered.

I'd go with a .223 simply because it's so much cheaper to practice with 'em. You need to get familiar with what your gun does from field positions, and how to make that first shot count whether you're shooting offhand or leaned against a tree. You can burn through a lot of ammo trying to master that. The other rounds cost twice as much, so you'll only be practicing half as often for the same budget.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Most of my varmint hunting has been for coyotes. I've done well with scoped bolt-guns. .223 or .243 = six of one, half-dozen of the other. Don't really need half-MOA groups to be effective inside of 200 yards.
Old May 30, 2017, 07:03 PM   #10
ShootistPRS

I will add another vote for the Ruger American bolt action rifle. I would also recommend the 223 because it is widely available and inexpensive.
Old May 30, 2017, 07:26 PM   #11
rickyrick

What you described is exactly what I did with a mini14 for years.

An AR can do anything a mini14 can do, and... ATM, they are lots cheaper than a mini14.
3-9x40 scopes are pretty versatile and popular. They are usually the most affordable of the variable magnification type scopes.
Old May 30, 2017, 07:38 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

223 52 gr. HP >Remanufactured cartridges.
Black Hills Ammo
(order Factory Direct)
Old May 30, 2017, 07:49 PM   #13
Dufus

I use a 22 Hornet for the exact same purpose as the OP stated.

Not bad for squirrel & rabbit hunting either.

I also use it for turtle control as we are over run with them.
Old May 30, 2017, 08:28 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

I agree with the .223 crowd, hands down.
Old May 30, 2017, 09:47 PM   #15
vaaccess

Gun Chosen...

Well I went into my local big gun store (sorta like gander mountain, but locally owned) and started looking at ammunition and used guns they have. Prior to going in, I had basically decided to go with either a .243, .270, .308, or 30-06. I know...I had originally ruled out the bigger calibers, but after realizing I could get lighter loads, it really began to make sense to go that route. After reviewing what they had on hand and talking to the sales guy (very knowledgeable), I ended up walking out with a used Savage Model 11 .308.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly which Model 11 it is and what year it was made, but loved the feel of the gun. I was shocked at how lightweight so many of the guns felt, I really didn't like that at all. I suppose if I was carrying it a lot I might feel differently, but it was a real turn off for me. What was interesting was that they had another Savage Model 11 in .308 that was way lighter. Plus the one I got has a nicely padded butt on the stock that I think will make a nice difference.

I really wanted to go with a Remington 700, even found one that I LOVED the look of, but it was just too much money. The Savage 11 w/scope came in at $399. The scope is probably not all that great, but seemed to be decent. It's a SIMO 3-9x50E...It'll be interesting to see how it performs.

I also found some 110 grain Varmint load that seemed like a great fit for my need.

One of the reasons why I went with the .308 is that it seems to be more versatile up/down the scale, especially with the 110 grain bullet, should have good ballistics, and is a very common caliber so getting ammunition should never be an issue.

Thanks for all your thoughts/input!
Old May 30, 2017, 10:14 PM   #16
TXAZ

.308 is a good all-around weapon, and can drop pretty much anything from a squirrel (ok a bit overkill) to a deer. Ammo isn't expensive and ballistics are good.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old May 31, 2017, 06:47 AM   #17
Lohman446

The .308 is a good choice (or .270 or 30-06 or many others)

The thing about the .308 (etc.) is that it is clearly enough firearm for the task at hand and ALSO enough firearm for many many other tasks. When you have this conversation in _________ months or years but are discussing hunting something larger the .308 will be up to the task at hand for basically anything in North America. The .223 and other options limited to coyote and the like will likely not be.

If the goal is to not have too many guns you cannot get into too much of a niche with any of them and the varmint rifles are a fairly niche rifle.

Your .308 was a good choice
Old May 31, 2017, 09:19 AM   #18
jackstrawIII

I'm a big 308 fan, so can't hurt to have one of them in your arsenal.

With that said, I think you might find that you'll want something smaller (like the 223 you originally considered) down the road to complement it. Sure, the 308 can do what a 223 can in the sense that it can kill a fox... but there are many perks to having something smaller (more appropriately sized) to do the job.

It's like deer hunting with a 375 H&H. Sure, it will keeel, but I'd much rather use a 243. I think you might find the same to be true in your situation.

Either way, have fun!
Old May 31, 2017, 11:22 AM   #19
the possum

My mind didn't go to a bolt action .308 first, but it should compliment your .22 and 12 gauge nicely. Sounds like a well-rounded battery. If it will kill a deer, it will kill a coyote.

If you don't already have one, a concealable handgun of some sort would fill the last big gap.

I still think a semi auto carbine in a mid sized caliber would be very handy to have around as well. You can ponder and research that option until you have the funds to spare for it.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:13 PM   #20
Lohman446

Quote:
It's like deer hunting with a 375 H&H. Sure, it will keeel, but I'd much rather use a 243. I think you might find the same to be true in your situation.
One morning while getting ready to go deer hunting my .270 slipped and fell scope down coming out of the safe. I pouted a little and went to the next gun in line - a .375 Holland and Holland magnum. I only had some fairly heavy loads ready for it and loaded the rifle sliding a couple extra rounds into my pocket (a single shot TC rifle).

I passed on the first and only few deer I saw that morning because I thought the amount of overkill was excessive. In fairness my initial thought on seeing the first was that my dog was out. Still if I was ever told I was limited to one rifle there is a good chance it would be a .375
Old May 31, 2017, 06:57 PM   #21
603Country

I keep two rifles in the house. We live way out in the country. For close up work, I have a scoped Marlin 39A. For out past 75 yards or so, I have a 223 bolt gun, and I load and shoot 40 gr Nosler BT's. I wanted something that would fragment and not ricochet. It'll really put down a coyote. If you are shooting critters smaller than pigs, that or the V-Max bullet will work just fine.

As for what rifle, just go with the Ruger American, or the Ruger American Predator. But if you can find a 223 in a pawn shop for less money, go for it. Don't even worry about the twist rate. Any available twist rate will shoot 55 gr or smaller bullets, and that's all you need.
Old May 31, 2017, 07:41 PM   #22
Kvon2

7.62x39 might be Overkill but not quite as much as a .308. Would also work for something larger IF you needed it.
Old June 2, 2017, 11:40 PM   #23
458winshooter

Situation hunter

I would agree with other folks here that you are building a good case for the 223.Don't look past a Mossberg Patriot at between $350 and $400 it's a good gun for the price.
Old June 3, 2017, 06:35 AM   #24
Mobuck

I'll point out that you need to watch what's beyond your target better when using the bigger calibers. A small caliber varmint bullet is far less likely to skip off frozen or hard ground than a .30 cal bullet and won't retain nearly as much energy if it does.
Considering the distance the OP stated, it would seem this may be a fairly small area so may be other property owners not far away. A couple of us had "stadium seat" views of another hunter shooting at a coyote in the middle of a large hay field some years back. The first shot at the standing coyote was a hit but the animal ran anyway so the shooter kept shooting. Four rounds fired before the yotie stayed down. We could see the .30 cal bullets skip once or twice off the frozen bare ground before being stopped by the dense treeline 1/4 mile away-even the two that did hit the animal.
Old June 3, 2017, 11:54 AM   #25
T. O'Heir

"...don't plan on doing an excessive amount of range shooting..." Practicing with the ammo you intend hunting with is absolutely necessary.
There is no such thing as a 'best' anything. What's your budget? Are you reloading? Where you are and if you intend hunting larger game matters.
The best time to buy a scoped, used, varmint rifle is just before deer season. Best time to buy a scoped, used, deer rifle is just after deer season. You won't find any bargains on varmint rifles now.
Don't expect to rid yourself of all those beasties either. They were there before you and will still be there long after you.