The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2017, 04:09 AM   #76
5whiskey

I started on Lee and still use them almost exclusively for all pistol and high volume rifle. I have a set of redding dies in 270 for a precision rifle I load for. I do believe the full length sizer die is superior to the Lee. The seater as well. Lees neck collet die makes ammo that is just as accurate though. I've gone on to all full length sizing now as my brass is usually toast after 5 firings max (primer pockets loosen). I don't see where I'm overworking the brass in that load cycle by FL sizing, and I have to FL size after the 3rd firing anyway for acceptable chambering and bolt lift after firing.

I honestly can make nearly as accurate of ammo with the Lee set as with nice expensive redding dies, though. Even when comparing both FL size dies. I have tested, and the redding gets the edge. The finish of Lee dies is heavily prone to rust, I've found. That's my biggest complaint with Lee. Otherwise I think they offer a good value. I have no issues loading accurate pistol ammo with Lee dies on a Lee classic turret. I seat and crimp in one step, even with cast bullets. Apparently this is tricky according to some but I've never really had any issues getting it right and making accurate ammo. Even with my cheap lees.
Old June 27, 2017, 08:21 AM   #77
hounddawg

Quote:
Nothing seems to deter Lee from offering the Loadmaster, which isn't a lot of use to anyone but engineers, inventors, and machinists.
the question was about dies not progressive presses. Although I have never owned a Loadmaster I would have to agree with you just from it's reputation. For standard neck sizing though the Lee collet style neck sizers are hard to beat until you are ready to step up to interchangable bushing neck sizing
Old June 27, 2017, 10:12 AM   #78
F. Guffey

Quote:
I honestly can make nearly as accurate of ammo with the Lee set as with nice expensive redding dies, though. Even when comparing both FL size dies.
A shooter/reloader west of Fort Worth, Tx/ wanted to start shooting his 7.7 Japanese. I started with a feeler gage, Rock Chucker, RCBS 308 W forming die and a full length sizing die from Herter. I formed 80 cases that were minimum length, go gage length, no-go length and field reject length, that would be close to 20 cases in each group. The minimum length sized cases chambered, the go-gage length cases would 'just' chamber and the other two groups had to be sized and trimmed.

I made no excuse for using a Herter die, I did not have to adjust the die when sizing the cases to minimum length/full length size, I did adjust the die off the shell holder for the other three groups with a feeler gage.

One more time, I have C&H dies that were made in El Monte, California, printed on the bottom of the display box about how the dies are to be used they state the dies were designed to be used with a shell holder with a height of .125". That was before the Internet was invented.

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2017, 03:35 PM   #79
cw308

I reload with the Rockchucker & RCBS dies. The rings are Sinclair but I use a 7/8 O Ring between the press & lock ring , once its set to the shell holder I lock the ring . Measurements do not fluctuate , I thought they would but they don't. Makes removing the dies much easier. I have them under all my die setups. With a mark on the ring & on the press. Works for me .
Old June 29, 2017, 09:08 PM   #80
BBarn

Rifle Dies – Among those I have used, I generally prefer Hornady as I like the elliptical expander and floating bullet seater. I load for the 22 Hornet among several other rifle calibers, and the Hornady dies do a great job with the thin Hornet cases that are prone to damage.

I have also used RCBS rifle dies and found them acceptable as well, though I don't care for the small screwdriver adjustment on the bullet seating insert on many of their rifle seating dies. From recent photos, it appears RCBS may be changing over at least some of their seating dies to a larger seating insert that is easily adjusted with the fingers. That would be a welcome change.

Pistol Dies – My preference of those I've use is RCBS. I want to be able to disassemble my dies completely for cleaning and that's one area where the Lee dies and most Hornady pistol dies fall short.

I've damaged two Lee dies by trying to remove the decapping pin collet. Lee uses some sort of mediocre thread arrangement with the collet and disassembly can easily damage the collet threads. I also don't like the “taper” crimp on the pistol dies. It feels more like a roll crimp when adjusting it. Lee calls it a “modified taper crimp”. But I prefer what seems to be the more gentle taper of a typical taper crimp die.

Most Hornady expander dies cannot be disassembled for cleaning. They can probably be cleaned well enough without disassembly, but I still prefer the option to disassemble a die.

I have no experience with Redding, Lyman, or any other dies so I can't offer any first hand comments on them.