The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2011, 11:38 PM   #1
jhart9999

Bryco .380 auto.

I bought one of these at a gun show a few years ago, threw it in the closet for a home protection gun. recently took the kids out to the range to shoot.. shot 50 rds through it. Opened it up to clean it the next day and WOW very unpleasant surprises .. chips and cracks in the slide mech. not to mention VERY poor craftsmanship throughout. Keep this gun in the closet for that one day you may need it, but don't use it for a plinker or target gun. It won't stand up. Better yet, if you haven't shot it, sell it and buy a name brand, even a used gun would be better than this. Maybe once upon a time Jennings - Bryco made a good .25. Don't let that fool you! I should post pictures but I doubt most of you would be the least bit surprised. Good lesson though.. I'll never buy another handgun without taking it down and inspecting it first.
Old April 4, 2011, 09:03 AM   #2
twhidd

Quote:
I'll never buy another handgun without taking it down and inspecting it first.
Or better yet, come here and ask for honest opinions first. Anyone here would have told you not to buy the Bryco, because they're junk.
Old April 4, 2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Manco

These guns aren't intended to be used at the range--they're for fighting your way back to your real pistol that you should not have put down in the first place.
Old April 4, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
gilfo

That was my first pistol. I quickly realized that if I am going to defend my life or others better have a reliable gun. If you don't intend to do much shooting I suggest a used brand name revolver, put it in the closet and it will function when you need it.
Old April 4, 2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
If you don't intend to do much shooting I suggest a used brand name revolver, put it in the closet and it will function when you need it.
+1. Cheap guns are just that, cheap guns.
Old April 4, 2011, 03:00 PM   #6
cracked91

Quote:
+1. Cheap guns are just that, cheap guns.
While this is true, I can personally attest that these "ring of fire" style guns (Bryco, Jennings, Cobra, Jiminez, Lorcin, Raven etc.) are a several steps below what most of us would consider "cheap".

This is the way I see it.

Cheap: Rossi, Taurus, Ruger P-series

Rock Bottom : Hi Point

Other methods of defense: Baseball bat, stun gun, pepper spray

Injury waiting to happen: Bryco, Jennings, Etc.

If you were every so strapped for cash that you were going to buy one of the injury waiting to happen guns for home defense, your probably better off going to Walmart and getting a single shot NEF shotgun.