The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 2, 2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Siggy-06

Bond Arms Derringers: Double Barrel Fun

I've been buying, trading, selling, collecting, and of course shooting guns for many years now. I have my concealed carry pistol already(an XDS in 9mm) and wanted to add another cool pistol to my collection: a Bond Arms Century 2000 chambered in .410/45 colt. It comes in at 21oz and holds two 2.5-3 inch .410 shells or .45 colt(or one of each). All stainless construction with wood grips that you can change out. You can also swap the barrel to one of a different calliber if desired. My trigger breaks at 6.5 pounds when pulled correctly(a downward pull instead of straight back). This little gem, although a bit heavy, will be riding in my pocket while fishing or hiking in my area. I'll post some more info when I can test more types of ammo in it, but for now it just has 000 4 pellet .410 in it. It patterns well under 10 yards. Great snake defense/belly gun if the need should arise. I'll be adding a 9mm barrel next.

Any owners out there enjoy the Bond derringers as much as I do? What model do you have/carry?

-Sig

Last edited by Siggy-06; June 3, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old June 3, 2017, 06:39 AM   #2
Siggy-06

Having a hard time uploading pictures today for some reason.

Last edited by Siggy-06; June 3, 2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old June 3, 2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Minorcan

I thought about one several times. After all, they were quiet the rage in times past and I suspect for good reason. Bond has a reputation for building quality guns. The problem that kept me from buying was the price relative to other pocket pistols that have more rounds and are more easily reloaded using magazines. I'm interested in your range review after you get a chance to shoot it some. Thanks for posting.
Old June 3, 2017, 08:43 PM   #4
ThomasT

I have a handgun mag that has an article on the Bond Arms "Liberator" made for Inland, the people making the new 30 carbine rifles. The test guns were chambered in 45 ACP. The upper and lower barrels did not shoot to the same point of aim at just 7 yards.

If you say you use a .410 shotgun for hunting some will tell you it isn't enough for rabbits at 20-25 yards from a 24" barrel but put a .410 in a handgun like the Bond Arms or one of those Taurus Judge guns with a 2-3" barrel and now it the best SD gun you can get. Really? And I read they are hard to cock and have a pretty heavy trigger pull. How is yours?

I hope you like your gun. I wouldn't buy one myself but thats just my choice. Plus the Bond derringer weighs 3oz more empty than the new J-Frame airweight I just bought that holds 5 rounds and weighs 17oz loaded.

I like derringers. I wish a quality derringer was made that only weighs around 10-12 oz and was reliable. And a 9mm would be just fine with me.

And like minorcan I hope you can post a review with some pics.
Old June 3, 2017, 09:25 PM   #5
Siggy-06

Ratshooter, my trigger is 6.5 pounds with a crisp break. I cock with my left thumb while holding the gun in a firing posution with my right. Not hard in that fashion. I'd say max range with the .410 in my 000 buck is 15 yards. The 21 oz weight make 2.5 .410 shells easy on the palm. 3 inch is a lil painful. Gonna hunt around for some .45 colt soon.
Old June 3, 2017, 11:03 PM   #6
ThomasT

Hi Siggy. Like I said I hope you enjoy the gun. Just not my taste. But wouldn't be neat if bond would make a lightweight frame for this gun. I am surprised they haven't done that yet.

There is another derringer on the market that is closer to what I would buy that is much smaller and available in 22mag. But it has a spotty reputation. I just can't remember the name of the maker right now.
Old June 4, 2017, 12:21 AM   #7
dajowi

My dad had a Bonds Arms derringer once. And once was the number of times that he shot it. Once was the number of times that I shot it. Once was the number of times that several people shot it. But only once. Once was enough. It's bulky, it's heavy and has two shots. Fun wasn't the word associated with shooting this gun, "ouch" was.
Old June 4, 2017, 02:25 AM   #8
Model12Win

With Federal 000 3 inch buck, you have 10 total projectiles onboard, equal to a Glock 26, yet with a much greater first shot dynamic hit probability reading due to the spread. The BONDS are fearsome close range weapons when so loaded, and are not to be trifles with or underestimated.
Old June 4, 2017, 07:42 AM   #9
Roaddog

I have one with the 410&45 colt.I like it and shoot it quite abit.I just got 38 &357 barrels for it and the 38s are nice to shoot the 357 are snappy and a little hard on the hand but as so you can't stand it.
Old June 4, 2017, 08:35 PM   #10
pat701

Way to snappy for me to consider that fun.
Old June 5, 2017, 06:37 PM   #11
Berserker

I have a 45 colt, I carry it a bit. I do wish they would come out with a light frame model. I used to carry a Davis 38 special, in my shirt pocket, always had it. Spring broke in side. Never bother to troubleshoot, since don't trust it any more.

It is a bit pricey, for a 2 shot gun. I like it, carry it a bit, but if I lost it, I probably wouldn't spend that much again. But I had it with me today. I like the size, just wish a hair smaller. But it is still smaller than a J frame.

The other brand out there, didn't cock in my hand.
Old June 5, 2017, 08:24 PM   #12
Bob Wright

I do not know if it was a Bond Arms or not, and it had a rather long pair of barrels, but a shooter at the range asked me if I were afraid to fire his pistol. After examining the gun, I said no and he asked me to fire off a few rounds of .45 Colt and .410 cartridges.

First problem I encountered was my thumb riding high depressed the spring loaded hammer block safety so the hammer fell on the cross bar instead of firing.

Shooting factory .45 Colt cartridges, I aimed at the berm 110 yards down range, aiming at a Styrofoam coffee cup. At that distance, the barrels shot about eight feet apart horizontally, maybe a foot difference in height. (Clearly this is not meant to be a 100 yard pistol, but I was unable to get in on paper at fifty feet.)

About ten feet in front of the firing line stood a 5.56mm cartridge case. I fired four shots of .410 at the standing case, two from each barrel, and never knocked the case over.

As I said, I don't know what brand the gun was, other than it was a stack barrel pistol in .45 Colt and .410. The gun was handsome, stainless with Sambar stag grips. And that it had a push button safety to block the hammer.

Bob Wright
Old June 5, 2017, 09:28 PM   #13
Berserker

Why would anyone shoot a derringer a 110 yards?

I like that the Bond has a set screw to keep the safety off. With a stiff single action, I dont think it is needed. Plus I don't use safeties on carry guns.

While a single action is slower, one nice thing is, you really don't have to worry about the trigger in your pocket.
Old June 6, 2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Bob Wright

Quote:
Why would anyone shoot a derringer a 110 yards?
As I said, I was not on paper. I shot at the berm, as shooting at the ground might produce ricochets, and I could see the dust kicked up by the bullet. A white cup on a dark bank gave me an aiming point. Have you never tried to aim at something some distance away just to see where the bullet strike was?

I was not trying to make this into a varmint gun by any means. Just trying to find where the thing was shooting. And again, this was no deringer, as its barrels must have been maybe 6" in length, including the chamber.

Bob Wright
Old June 8, 2017, 09:39 AM   #15
gunguy56

I had a Bond Arms Snakeslayer derringer and it was a quality piece...however, it was IMHO too heavy for pocket carry..I like to carry in my right front pocket..I now habitually carry a Taurus Curve .380 ACP with integral laser and light...or a S&W 637 or 638 Airweight in a pocket holster..really love the Curve..I have many handguns of many makes and sizes/weights/calibers..but one thing is for sure..if it is too big or heavy to wear, especially in summer attire, one is likely to not carry..
Old June 10, 2017, 05:17 PM   #16
jstert

Bond Arms Derringers: Double Barrel Fun

]

i like bond arms derringers. i have barrels in 45lc/410, 45lc, 45acp, 357/38, 9mm, 22lr. they are stout and elegant, dont print and make a great forest trail piece. 38 and 9mm are soda can accurate offhand at 20'. 357 is unpleasant. 45lc & schofield, 38 and 9mm are fun. they make handy travel pieces to scrounge ammo along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jstert; June 10, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old June 10, 2017, 07:45 PM   #17
Siggy-06

Sorry for a lack of range report yet. The weather has been terrible all week and I haven't been able to hit the trail.