The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 22, 2014, 10:28 AM   #1
406MTMarine

1978 winchester M70 XTR 30-06 SCOPE BASES

OK BRIEF HISTORY
I inherited my fathers 30-06 when I was 11 and learned to shoot and hunt on my own in Montana. I had my fathers original setup on this rifle which was a 1976 redfield scope and the mounts where break mounts and would flip the scope off to the left if you needed the factory open sites I never used the breaks just kept the scope in place and shot that for 20 years now. well the ex girly slamed the old scope in the door and cracked the lens.

so I went in and got a new scope and was told by the dealer that it was the wrong bases for this rifle well im looking to find the right mounts I tried several bases on it but I could not get the scope low enough on the rifle for bore sighting old fashion way and with bore laser to tune it in I would bottom out the elevation on it and be about 4-6 clicks away from the point I needed to set it at so dose anyone know which bases are the best to mount on this 1978 Winchester model 70 xtr
Old August 22, 2014, 11:06 AM   #2
jmr40

Any base made for long action post 64 rifle should work. Which is best is largely opinion. The rings determine how high the scope is above the bore, not the bases.

I personally like the Talley lightweights best. Buy low mounts if your objective size is 40mm or smaller. You might get by with lows on a 42-44 mm objective too, but might have to have mediums.

http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-A...unt-P2838.aspx

2nd choice is DNZ.

http://swfa.com/DNZ-Game-Reaper-1-Sc...nt-P41602.aspx

These are reasonably priced, lightweight, and easy to mount. Since the rings and base are all 1 piece they are actually stronger than traditional steel mounts costing much more.

I'd strongly advise against anything with dovetails and especially anything windage adjustable. They are complex, heavy, expensive, difficult to mount properly and not particularly strong.
Old August 22, 2014, 11:44 AM   #3
406MTMarine

I tried the leupold doves and was not impressed with them I can say dose the job thou. the scope is a 4-12x40mm redfield revolution and I the rings that fit are to high or to low with the scope mounted and hits the barrel and was looking at the bases and the rings and which would be best fit.
I will have to order a set of each of those and see which works best on this rifle I havnt ever seen another one like this Winchester in my life some are close but no cigar and thanks these look more like what im looking for solid one piece mount or solid base and ring mounts less to move less to go wrong is my thoughts
Old August 25, 2014, 04:36 AM   #4
hooligan1

If you want Leupold bases then contact them and talk to a tech. They are super helpfull.
On my model 70, ( which is a newer model than yours) sets a pair of the only "Weaver Style" bases I use, they're steel and have a square cross bolt feature which works perfectly. These bases coupled with PRW 30 mm rings are solid for sure.. I wouldn't have even known about them but a good friend of mine in Colorado sent them to me and told me to try them, they will stay for sure.