The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 12:17 AM   #1
CLC

Shotgun choke question

Recently bought a choke for my mossberg 835 and it says not to use steel shot. This might be a dumb question but would all boxes of shells state "steel" on it? A couple of boxes I have say unplated, would this be ok to shoot through this choke? Also, what could be the potential damage to the shotgun/choke if I used steel shot?

http://www.basspro.com/Carlsons-Coyo...product/94900/

This is the tube I bought.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Virginian

The gun will be fine, but some choke tubes are made for steel and some aren't. Steel shells will say steel on the box. If you shoot steel, the smart money says to use a steel rated choke tube. Go browse around on Midway's site and you will see plenty of choices. Although you didn't ask, more $s for a tube means more money in someone else's pocket a lot more than it means better patterns in my opinion.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:47 AM   #3
MTSCMike

It is probably a really tight choke like an extra-full or similar restriction. Steel shot won't compress like lead will. Much like chokes that warn against shooting slugs through them, steel or slugs through very tight chokes can cause damage to the choke or may even produce over-pressure in the barrel.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations and enjoy the new choke.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Virginian

Rifled slugs are perfectly safe thru any choke. They may not be the most accurate, but no danger.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:48 AM   #5
CLC

Quote:
Although you didn't ask, more $s for a tube means more money in someone else's pocket a lot more than it means better patterns in my opinion.
Yeah I kinda bought it on a whim. I'm just trying to get the most out of my 835 until I can get a real coyote rifle. Wont be able to shoot it for a little bit, can i expect to get the advertised 70 yrds out of it?
Old March 17, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Being described as a coyote choke good to 70 yards would seem to indicate a really tight constriction; therefore the warning against steel. Steel is better in a choke typically no tighter than Modified.

One thing, porting on a choke is a waste of money as it does nothing for performance; extended chokes are nice because they can be easily changed or identified.

As to more expensive chokes not being worth more - that would depend. There are chokes made from titanium, aluminum/ceramics, and other new materials that make them lighter, easier to clean, etc. Whether they alter your performance enough to matter is something only you can decide
Old March 18, 2013, 02:54 PM   #7
80viking

"One thing, porting on a choke is a waste of money as it does nothing for performance; extended chokes are nice because they can be easily changed or identified."

I always thought that the benefit from a ported choke was that it slowed down the wad for an earlier and cleaner separation from the shot, which would result in better patterning.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:23 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Nope, it just has more holes to clean,; besides, I would want my wad to stay with the charge longer in order to give me a tighter pattern at greater distance
Old March 18, 2013, 06:28 PM   #9
CLC

Thanks for all the help.What would be a good shot size to go along with this choke for coyotes? Im thinking a 3-3 1/2 inch turkey load? We can use #4 buckshot in PA but im having a hard time finding some.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:22 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

There, I can't help you - when I hunted coyotes out West, I used a rifle. In ND, we used 223, in NV we used 6mm BR