The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 06:47 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

SA XDM 3.8 Compact

I have been thinking of purchasing a dedicated carry piece recently. I have yet to peruse a gun shop in the area and really get a feel for them...this being the best I can do since none offer a range to rent and test before you buy. A few I may be considering (this being a rather short list...open to others) are the Glock 19, M&P 9C or 45C, Walther PPS, or the Springfield Armory XDM 3.8 C. I have a 1911, and am not opposed to the idea of a compact version, but am interested in polymer for weight consideration and ammunition capacity.

Now, for the emphasis of this thread, the XD(M) 3.8 Compact seems like an attractive option. The beauty of this gun is that either short mags for CC or extended mags for range/home defense are available. I found a pretty decent deal for a 9mm version of the Springfield online for 519.00 with free shipping. I realize that the Ruger SR9C also includes this platform, and many people have taken a liking to it. There is the other consideration...caliber choice. Between the mainstream of 9, .45, or .40, I am leaning towards the first two. I have no experience in shooting a .45 from any compact polymer frame...I have become accustomed to full size for range usage. I do wish there was somewhere I could try this gun. Feel free to chime in on pros/cons of this model in and of itself or versus another model.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:03 PM   #2
tahunua001

I have no experience with the compact 9mm XDM but I have owned the full size in 9mm and 45 and still own a compact in 45. recoil is not a big deal but I dread the day I actually have to use that thing without earplugs in...that thing is loud. I heavily recommend XDMs over M&Ps and Glocks. I own an SR9C as well but I equate them to the standard XD line in terms of accuracy, trigger feel and ergonomics. 519 is an amazing deal but I would verify that the pistol you saw was not a standard XD as many people fail to realize that even though the XDM is an updated version of the platform springfield still sells both versions.

I would go with the XDM, they have no recurring QC issues or ongoing recalls like some other companies in your list and don't require a trigger upgrade like others in your list...

I'm not sure if you were limiting yourself to striker fired guns intentionally or not but if you are not opposed to hammer fired guns the beretta PX4 storm might also be a very good option and if I recall correctly they also have grip extensions for the compact models.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3
wbw

I don't have a compact XDm either, but can speak from experience about the full size XDm. It's a solid piece that has never failed in any way. I would not hesitate to get the compact if that is what I wanted. I also have an SR9c which I did pick up for when I can carry. It just seemed like the right combination of size and weight for me. I don't know what the measurements are off hand, but the XDm 3.8 struck me as a little blocky in the grip. The SR9c is a little slimmer I believe.

Anyway, good luck in your search. You can't go wrong with either, as far as quality and dependability goes. It's just a matter of personal preference when handling them.

Edited to add: both my XDm and SR9c are in 9mm.

Last edited by wbw; November 21, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old November 21, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Viper99

I have the XDm 3.8 in 9mm. Love it, love the option of the 13+1 or 19+1.
2 Guns in one as they say. Better trigger than my Glock for sure.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:30 PM   #5
rem44m

To the OP, I have owned and carried all three compact XDM's (9, 40, 45) that you are considering.

First off the 45 compact is wider than the 9 and 40 version. For me it was just to big to carry however everyone is different and YMMV.

All three are extremely accurate, most accurate carry guns I've owned.

If your looking to throw aftermarket sights on them I would say stay away from tru glo, I have had problems with POA after having my gunsmith install them. You have to aim 3 inches low and 21 feet. Drove me nuts.

I really liked the 9, it was just as accurate as the other two but had the lower recoil advantage. The 45 seemed to recoil the most in my opinion, which surprised me, I thought with the 40 being loaded to much higher pressures, that it would recoil the most.

The 40 and 45 both fed even when purposefully induced limp wristing. The 9 fed quite well but if I got a light enough grip I could get it to stovepipe. I realize this may not even matter to you but just figured I'd let you in on my experience.

If your like me, and love Glock triggers then the XDM's reset will likely be a disappointment. I had my gunsmith install a powder river precision trigger kit, which was a huge improvement and in my opinion worth it.

XD's and XDM's are high quality polymer pistols, you really can't go wrong in any caliber.

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old November 21, 2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Japle

I carried a G19 for 6 years or more, but switched to an XDm 3.8 with the full-size grip. This is the best carry gun I’ve tried and I’ve tried a lot of them; 1911s, Witnesses, BHPs, Glocks and various wheelguns. With the C-More, it’s my idea of the perfect carry gun for the 21st Century.

Old November 21, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
DAdams

I've been looking for a compact .45.
The SA XDs felt pretty good but limited rounds. Trigger not as nice as the M.
I'm a S&W MP owner. I ended up with the 3.8 XDm over the .45c. Just A little larger than the M&P
9 and .40c but not much and the .40 is a solid choice, and there are X Grips available.
None of these are pocket carries and if you are going to IWB thickness matter.
OWB not so much.
Old November 22, 2012, 02:57 AM   #8
Mosin44az

I just rented an XDM 3.8c in .40, my range had just got one in. Very impressive gun, very comfortable to shoot, accurate, high apparent quality.

I own a Ruger SR40c and in my opinion it is not in the same class as the XDM compact. I intend to deal the SR and maybe get an XDM at some point soon.

The two pistols have about the same profile when laid on top of each other, so should be about equally as easy to carry.

Coloring my view of the Ruger is that mine had feeding and trigger return problems out of the box. Ruger fixed these issues promptly and for free, but last time out I had a failure to extract for the first time. Just have lost confidence in it. No Glock or Beretta I have owned has ever had a problem, nor has my XD 40 .

If you compare the construction of the two, the XDM seems much higher quality. It IS more expensive, not sure where you are finding one for 519, are you sure that's not the regular XD compact?

Only negative on the XDM was that with the long magazine in, the grip kind of felt squirmy. The SR compact fits the long magazine into the grip better it seems.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:51 AM   #9
RBid

I own an SR9c, and have experience with the XDm 3.8" full and compact. I prefer the SR9c. The trigger is strictly superior from a performance standpoint-- very little take up or over travel. The slide rides lower, and the recoil spring is art. It has very little flip, and extracts with authority.

The XDm is also great, but the trigger, blocky/angular lines, and height of the slide position it behind the SR9c, in my opinion. This refers to the 3.8" compact, in the context of a warm weather CCW. In the full grip versions, in the context of a duty weapon, HD weapon, or cold weather CCW, the 3.8, 4.5, and 5.25 are all awesome.
Old November 23, 2012, 04:11 PM   #10
DAdams

But the Ruger is not the Ruger45c.