The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 19, 2011, 05:05 PM   #1
David_S

MLE Target Rifle

I recently acquired a modified "long tom" or Magazine Lee Enfield (c1900 I think). The original barrel has been replaced by a "heavy" target barrel of standard SMLE length marked '47 which I take to be 1947. The rear sight which was on the original barrel, which I don't have, has been replaced by a BSA Aperture sight (No 9?) which has been poorly mounted.

The bayonet lug has been removed and the fore-end behind the nosecap shortened to accommodate the new barrel. Apart from that it appears to be an original New Zealand-issue MLE though the bolt no. does not match the receiver, though I gather this is not uncommon. It has the magazine cut-off and the front volley sight.

If anyone can add any information, such as whether this was an "official" conversion, or what particular BSA sight it is I would be grateful. If I can get the sight mounted properly it could be a fun shooter and probably quite accurate.

Here are some pics of the rifle including one alongside a Lithgow SMLE No 1 Mk 111 for comparison

Thanks, David