The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1
steve1147

FTE's w/handloaded/cast 45acp's, HELP please!

Hello once again, and thanks for all your advice and help in the past. My reloaded revolver ammo is working perfectly, but I'm having an issue with my 45acp's, and I feel like I've tried everything! Shorter length, etc.
The Issue:
I'm casting 230 grain double ogive round nose bullets with a mixture lead:90%, tin:5%, antimony:5% with a Lee micro groove mould. The bullets are coming out excellent and to size. I'm lubing with liquid alox tumble lube.
I'm loading on a Lee Pro1000 then running through the Lee FCD. I started with 5.9 grains of Unique then bumped up to 6.2, but it didn't help the FTE problem. Also using CCI standard primers. Current COL is 1.255. Cartridge average diameter after the Lee FCD is .470, with a very short crimp down to approx. .460 where the case meets the lead, being fired through a Springfield Armory XD-45.
I have been having 3-4 FTE's in each clip, so I bought a box of Blazer factory ammo today and fired two full clips of 13 each without a single failure, which tells me it's not the gun, but something I'm doing wrong!
I'm putting on a good flare, no shaved lead. ANY help is APPRECIATED!
Thanks, Steve W.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:27 PM   #2
QBall45

FTE = failure to eject

Steve the first thing I noticed when reading your post is the amount of crimp your using. Its a bit too much at .460. Try backing it off a bit. All ya really need to do is remove the flair you put in to seat the bullet. Try crimping at .468 to .470. This should help some. Your OAL. Looks ok. Not sure on the powder charge as I don't use that powder.

Tell me exactly what's happening when you experience the FTE. Is the empty case partially ejecting & getting hung up on the slide? Does the next round end up jamming up on the empty? Does the empty case stay stuck in the chamber? What exactly is going on?

Sometimes too light a charge can cause the slide to not cycle properly. But I know nothing about unique powder charges.
Old January 20, 2010, 04:14 PM   #3
steve1147

Catching on the incoming case...

OK, I've got this narrowed down, the case that should be ejected is catching on the brass rim at the front of the incoming cartridge. Should they even be touching? Out of last 100 rounds, No FTF's, only a few FTE's, and each time the outgoing case is stopped with it's rear on the lip of the incoming round.
Thanks! Steve W.
Old January 20, 2010, 04:59 PM   #4
QBall45

Now I'm puzzeled. The empty is hanging up on the next round as its being feed.

Is this a new gun? With new mags? Approxamately have many rounds through it?

Sometimes new guns can be really fussy till they get to 500-1500 rounds. Usually they've settled out by then.

Does the problem accure with just 1 mag or does it happen with all your mags?
Old January 20, 2010, 05:39 PM   #5
steve4102

I would back off on the crimp as Steve suggested. The 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, to much crimp can cause all kinds of problems.
Old January 20, 2010, 05:57 PM   #6
steve1147

OK, think I've got this!

Alright, I've just shot over 150 rounds with NO fte's or any other problems, which is fantastic, especially with a dirty gun!
As you recall I was having multiple FTE's with the rear of the outgoing case catching on the front lip of the incoming cartridge.
I upped my COL to 1.275" which is the max recommended, which put the VERY light crimp I'm doing now on the TOP Lee Micro-Groove band about 1/64th inch back, leaving about that 1/64" of lead band ahead of the brass case.
With a light crimp, This newfound "ramp" seems to let the spent case slide out fast and easy. I had noticed on factory ammo, there wasn't a pronounced lip on the case/bullet junction, and I had one.
Anyway, after about 10+ 13 round clips of this new recipe, all is good.
As far as I'm concerned, you can close this thread.
My God, the intracacies of reloading....gotta love it!
THANKS EVERYONE! Steve W.

PS
I guess I shouldn't expect my children and grandchildren to get excited when I discover the "secret" that makes my reloads work (Yeah, great Dad, what time's supper?), but I'll bet you guys understand!

Last edited by steve1147; January 20, 2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old January 20, 2010, 07:49 PM   #7
mongoose33

The XD-45 is known not to like SWC bullets; they're presented in a fashion in this gun that they tend to catch on the spent case. I suspect you had something similar going on one way or another.

I've shot a lot of RN lead bullets out of my XD-45, with no feed issues at all.
Old January 21, 2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Kyo

also, you can try to adjust the length you seat it at. too deep in, and your extractor claw can't catch the brass to pull it out. next time you have a problem, look at the lip of the brass and see if there is a dent or mark that its imperfect. I learned that the hard way
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old January 22, 2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Toolman

Have you dropped one round in the pipe with the slide open, then closed the slide on that chambered round?
If the extractor hole in the slide has a lot of debris in it, it can break the extractor when closing on a chambered round. The extractor doesn't have enough room to work it can break, which can cause intermittant FTE problems. One of my 1911's had FTE problems & I found a broken extractor.