The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 20, 2008, 03:18 AM   #1
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Yugo AK problems

Ok I figured the "smithy" section would be the best place to post this but me and thinking don't get along too well sometimes (like late at night... oh wait that's now).

Anyway, got my yugo M70B1 out to shoot for the first time. I was sleeping earlier so my dad put one round through it without a magazine. Looked at it later and it had stovepiped on me and I thought, well maybe it was just because it didn't have a magazine in and it stovepiped on us.

Anywho I took it and shouldered and popped off a round at the target. Got set to send another downrange but the trigger wouldn't budge. Had a little play to it and was too close to the back of the trigger guard to be from a fully cycled rife. I looked to check for a stovepipe jam thinking maybe it didn't fully come back and forth. No gaps with casings sticking out so I tried to work the action... Couldn't get the darned thing back for the life of me. Had to take it back to the truck, remove the cover, get it set to pull the whole darned assembly out, raised the rifle in the air and struck it against the tailgate while applying pressure. Thing popped free and the spent case went flying into the underbrush. Never did find it.

After I checked for visible cracks in the carrier and chamber but didn't see anything. Should I take this to a smith for evaluation or should I just shrug it off and keep firing away? Granted if it happened again of course I would see a smith about it but still...

Rifle: Yugoslavian AK-47 made in 1986\
Ammunition: Wolf non-laquered steel cased bimetal JHP

Same ammunition both times my and I dad shot it and it's only the second round through it since I bought it from a dealer. Any info?
Old October 22, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Double J

Sometimes the carrier may be out of it's rail and bind. This usually only happens during re-assembly. Break the gun down as you normally would for cleaning, then put it back together. Check the workings of the carrier in the reciever by working the bolt/carrier back and forth a few times. If there are any hangups it'll be apparent. If all moves freely, you should be OK.
One other possibility that's easy to check would be a bad spring. Sometimes if the safety has been pulled it will bind going back in and hang up the sear spring.
Old October 22, 2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

AK

Sir;
Check that chamber!
Harry B.
Old October 23, 2008, 07:26 AM   #4
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Looked at the chamber and didn't see any cracks. Cycled a few rounds but didn't seem to have any headspace issues. Bolt closed and locked. I disassembled it and noticed the carrier has to be pushed down fairly hard to get the fit right to slide it forward before putting the spring back in the raceway. Maybe I didn't put it back together properly the first time. Although it cycled the first round my dad put in it (Albeit it stovepiped). I will see if I can get a friend of mine to help me look it over (retired army old curmudgeon of a man... really good guy. Swears by Glocks over all others). Maybe it is still fine to fire. I still want a rifle that will work every time no matter what it goes through.