The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 23, 2008, 06:19 PM   #1
MLeake

Supporting troops, and ranges in NW Georgia.... help?

So I got the phone call... mobilizing for Iraq in August. Email followed, with the actual orders. I decided I should go out on my own dime and work out hard with my M4 and my Beretta. I have recently moved to the NW Georgia area, and am not familiar with the local ranges yet.

I call the nearest outdoor range, to ask about active shooting courses. I am told you have to be a range member, which requires an annual membership purchase.

I point out that I am leaving for Iraq in just over three months, so an annual membership purchase seems unreasonable. I also point out that the range's advertising has, in big bold letters, "We Support Our Troops".

I'm told, sorry, can't help ya.

Yeah, they support the troops, all right...

So, does anybody know of any ranges in the NW Georgia area where one can shoot on the move, without buying a membership? Or at least a location where they will extend the membership to include calendar months actually in the US, post-deployment?

Cheers,

M
Old May 27, 2008, 07:48 AM   #2
shrews

NWGA M4/M9 workout

MLeake, give Ken a shout at: www.Firearmz.net if you want some real-world
relevant train up for deployment. He's on the ball and dialed in for just this purpose. Let him know exactly what you want. He may very well be able to assist. Good luck, stay safe and get back home.later......mr.t.
Old May 27, 2008, 05:56 PM   #3
tony pasley

You might also want to call Brigade Quartermaster in Kennasaw to find out if they know any where.
Old May 27, 2008, 06:05 PM   #4
B. Lahey

If you can't find someplace else, maybe some of us could help you with the membership? What are they charging?

I'm in for $20.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:58 PM   #5
MLeake

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out Ken at firearmz.net and also Brigade Quartermaster, thank you.

For B. Lahey, as far as the offer to help with the annual membership, I appreciate the thought, that is very kind of you. It really won't be necessary, but thank you. The issue isn't one of cost, in this case, but one of general principle. It galls me that somebody uses "We Support Our Troops!" in boldface for their advertising, and then patently fails to do so in actual practice. Honestly, I didn't even ask his range's membership price, as I found his attitude unhelpful and offensive... I wouldn't pay $20 to deal with somebody like that.

The vast majority of businesses I've dealt with in the area step right up to the plate when it comes to supporting members of the armed forces. Some businesses don't advertise it, but trust me when I tell you that it's rare that any of my friends have to pay full price for a meal anywhere in the Marietta/Kennesaw area when in uniform.

As far as the neighbors go, they are also extremely supportive, and quite a few of them are military families. The kid next door is an Army reservist. There are some Air Force bubbas down the block. This section of NW Georgia is a very pro-military area, and a very courteous one at that.

This is why this rangemaster's attitude came as something of a shock, in the same way that the helpful replies here from NW Georgians are not shocking at all.

Cheers,

M
Old May 28, 2008, 01:31 AM   #6
B. Lahey

My Colt fund thanks you for declining. I'm not a wealthy man but I'm a sucker for a firearms related cause. Matthew Corwin defense fund, dude going to Iraq needs range time, stuff like that.

I'm sure you'll find someplace that suits you, it's too bad some of the most vocal military supporters are the least sincere.
Old May 28, 2008, 01:40 AM   #7
Rich Miranda

Can't help with the range/training issue, but I'll chime in to say that here in San Antonio, people are patriotic with a capital P.

The local economy depends on the bases in the area (3 total, I think). In public places maybe 10% of folks are in fatigues or jumpsuits (pilots).

I like it this way and if I were a customer of the range you describe, I wouldn't be for long!

I appreciate my freedom, and the men and women who purchase it for me every day.
Old May 31, 2008, 05:35 PM   #8
MLeake

San Antonio

Used to be Kelly AFB, Randolph AFB, and Fort Sam Houston; not sure if there are any others. We used to go up for weekends when I was at NAS Corpus Christi.

Cheers,

M
Old May 31, 2008, 05:37 PM   #9
MLeake

Contacted Ken at firearmz.net

Haven't met him in person, but in email correspondence he is very courteous and helpful. Good start. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

M