The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 11, 2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Duxman

No Motive Found in California Murders

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ranch_killings

For full story see above -

Abreviated story below:

GARNER VALLEY, Calif. - Investigators have not determined a motive in the slaying of six people — including three children_ found dead in a sprawling ranch home here but also have not ruled out a murder-suicide.

An investigator for the Riverside County district attorney's office was found dead next to a telephone and a gun Tuesday while five other people in his home were found shot to death in their beds.

David McGowan, who turned 44 on Sunday, was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head close to the entrance to the sprawling ranch home, Sheriff Bob Doyle said at a news conference. A handgun and a phone, which may have been used to call 911, were found near his body.

Also killed were McGowan's 14-year-old son, Chase; daughters Paige, 10, and Rayne, 8; his 42-year-old wife, Karen, and her mother, authorities said.

All of the victims were shot in the head and all but McGowan were shot in their beds, Doyle said.

"The beds were undisturbed. The house itself was undisturbed. It did not appear that the house had been ransacked," Doyle said, adding there were no signs of a break-in.

This looks pretty messed up.

Assuming it was not a murder-sucide type of scenario.

If there was no struggle, probably a professional hit.

Since this person was an investigator for the DA's office, it probably put him on someone's hit list.
Old May 11, 2005, 09:59 AM   #2
ATW525

Five people where shot in thier beds? Am I the only one who wonders why the last four stayed in bed...
Old May 11, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3
TwoGuns

The news now is saying that it was a murder suicide, the killer being david mcgowan, the DA guy. They're playing the 911 call now, pretty chilling stuff. Just a gunshot, and what can only be described as a body hitting the floor sound.

No suicide note, but there were some song lyrics next to the computer about the afterlife of something they're saying is connected.

Good question as to why they all stayed in bed while there were gunshots going off though.
Old May 11, 2005, 02:22 PM   #4
HighVelocity

My BS flag is flying high. I do not believe that 4 people will lay in their "undisturbed" beds after a shot is fired. Or 2 shots, or 3 shots. No way.
Old May 11, 2005, 02:54 PM   #5
Duxman

I agree - usually with a murder-sucide pact, there is some sort of indication of why they did it - impending jail time, scandal of some sort etc. but in this case - so far there is none.

This is highly dubious that four people in different beds would stay there while shooting was going on. Not even investigate.

Plus - the person involved was a DA investigator - I do not know how much money these guys make - but he was living in a 425K house. Not bad for a public servant.

I theorize its a professional hitman - made this scenario look like a murder sucide. Probably using silencers not to alert anyone, and used the person's gun on himself for the last shot - but homeowner was able to dial 911 before he was killed.

Anyone else still think murder sucide?
Old May 11, 2005, 03:25 PM   #6
TwoGuns

They said he had been having financial problems of some sort, and that all the people were killed with his S&W 9mm Auto. He had been off for a week for stress or something like that.

What's even worse is that he has a son in Iraq. Imagine being over there and getting that news. It's the stuff nightmares are made of.
Old May 12, 2005, 03:53 AM   #7
LAK

I don't buy it either. Could have been a very professional hit - suppressed weapons and perhaps more than one operator. Mr. McGowen was probably not the person that dialed the phone - or if he did it may have been at gunpoint and he might have thought that his captor was a "nut" who was going to talk to the police on his phone.

Be interesting to talk to every professional and personal associate of his - and find out what he was recently, currently or intending to work on.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:19 AM   #8
Duxman

Its not unheard for professional operators to break into the house of their victim, take that victim's weapon, and use it on the victim.

Now in this particular case, who knows how the ballistics turn out. Too bad the CSI folks on TV aren't working the case, they would have it solved by now....

I agree: Good chance of a pro operator or team at play.
Old May 13, 2005, 05:32 AM   #9
LAK

Looks like there are a few others that are unconvinced;

http://cgi.desert-sun.com/mcgowans.shtml

The media reporting style is not unusual, but there is a pattern with many cases I see where the "verdict" is in long before a truly thorough investigation could be conducted. Although completely different in circumstance, it reminds me of cases like Cliff Baxter.

Compare the common story most people will remember long after it fades from the news:

Quote:
Ranch Deaths Ruled Murder-Suicide

GARNER VALLEY, Calif., May 11, 2005

(CBS/AP) The sheriff confirmed Wednesday that the deaths of six family members in a remote ranch home were a murder-suicide carried out by a district attorney's investigator, who killed his mother, wife, three children and himself with his service weapon.
http://election.cbsnews.com/stories/...in694467.shtml

With this one:

Quote:
No Motive Found in California Murders

Investigators have not determined a motive in the slaying of six people- including three children-found dead in a sprawling ranch home here but also have not ruled out a murder-suicide
http://www.kfmb.com/story.php?id=12067