The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 24, 2000, 11:15 PM   #1
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"

I've noticed a lot of M1 newbies around here latley. Culver's Talk Pages are down right now (the site for Garand talk), in the mean time check out Lane's M1 Garand Tips Pages. Lots of good info - from trouble shooting, to history, to reloading, to how to avoid "M1 thumb". There's even one tip from your's truly. -- Kernel
Old July 25, 2000, 12:55 PM   #2
Casey

Thanks Kernel, there is indeed all kinds of information. I just got an M1, and this is great stuff for someone just getting into these.

Thanks.

Casey
Old July 25, 2000, 05:40 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Casey:
I just got an M1, and this is great stuff for someone just getting into these.[/quote]

Darn tootin it is! I, many many eons oops, I meant years ago fired the M1 on some of the USAF High Power teams. In about 1966 or so the Air Force switched from the NM M1 to the NM M14. We were devastated that we were losing such a fine firearm so we all planned to go out and buy our own M1's and compete with those. Well, there was an old NCO in the outfit that just smiled and said ''Boys give the new rifle a chance''. We did and never looked back at the venerable old Garand. the M14 was/is one fine rifle! Even so, I always had, and still have, a soft spot in my heart for the M1 and finally broke down a few months ago and got one from the CMP. As much as I shot and used the M1 years ago there is so much information avaliable today, that was not avaliable back then, (or just was not passed on to us), that I almost feel as if I was starting over in learning that particular rifle again. Casey learn all you can about it and pass it on to younger generations. Just for the record mine is a Springfield Armory made in March of 45 with the original barrel, tight muzzle, sharp, bright bore, and very little throat erosion. Off the bags at 100 Yards with a handload of 45 grains of 4895 under a 173 grain GI Match bullet, loaded in LC-68 cases, with CCI Large Rifle primers, these tired old eyes can still keep it under 2 inches. I may not be able to hit a fly in the eye anymore, due to glasses, but you can bet the ranch I can still hit the fly (grin).

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 25, 2000, 10:41 PM   #4
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
I kinda evolved in reverse. First I got a Mini-14 then a Ranch Rifle. A few years later a M1A. Then a few years after that a Garand (now I got three). I can see the benefits of the M14, it's a better battle rifle, but when I'm shooting off hand I prefer the feel of the Garand. Because of it's gas system it's got more weight out front so it hangs on target better, and it doesn't have a big ol' magazine sticking out getting in the way of everything. The M14 is technically superior and I have no plans to part with it, but to me the Garand is handier. -- Kernel
Old July 26, 2000, 09:32 AM   #5
Casey

Mine is a SA 6 digit serial number, 309XXX, wich puts in in the August 1941 time frame. It is in very good shape, as it was rebarelled in 1966 and aparently not shot much since then. I fired it the other day in a 100 yard underground shooting range, and was amazed that I was able to keep them close (first time in years to shoot with open sights). A friend checked the muzzle and it is very tight (the guage almost wouldn't fit in it).