The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 19, 2017, 05:58 PM   #51
czgunner

Save yourself any headache and get a colt one.
Old February 19, 2017, 06:06 PM   #52
marine6680

^^ That's the mindset I was talking about.
Old February 19, 2017, 06:25 PM   #53
ShootistPRS

While Colt has made guns for the military for years to match the Milspec you don't have to pay their premium prices for a milspec gun. The military is used to spending more money than the civilian market because the only time there is competition is in the contracting stage. Once the contract is accepted the manufacturer is free to add costs when alterations are made. In the civilian market competition keeps prices down and quality higher (for the most part).

Colt is used to getting premium prices (over $1000) for their base models which can be had for $700 in the rest of the market with at least the same quality if not better quality.
I got my AR for $700 with two 30 round mags, collapsible stock, good trigger and a 1:8 18" barrel with a 3-9x40 scope. There is no need to pay for what the Colt name has as its historical place in the market. Their name does not mean what it once did and they are still trying to sell it instead of quality products at reasonable prices.
Old February 19, 2017, 07:21 PM   #54
marine6680

If Colt would drag themselves into the current age, and offer a civilian 16in barreled rifle with a midlength gas system, i would recommend them more often as a default go to for known quality.
Old February 19, 2017, 07:30 PM   #55
WVsig

Quote:
While Colt has made guns for the military for years to match the Milspec you don't have to pay their premium prices for a milspec gun. The military is used to spending more money than the civilian market because the only time there is competition is in the contracting stage. Once the contract is accepted the manufacturer is free to add costs when alterations are made. In the civilian market competition keeps prices down and quality higher (for the most part).

Colt is used to getting premium prices (over $1000) for their base models which can be had for $700 in the rest of the market with at least the same quality if not better quality.
I got my AR for $700 with two 30 round mags, collapsible stock, good trigger and a 1:8 18" barrel with a 3-9x40 scope. There is no need to pay for what the Colt name has as its historical place in the market. Their name does not mean what it once did and they are still trying to sell it instead of quality products at reasonable prices.
Colt is not getting $1000 for a 6920 anymore. They have been as low as $800 recently and will be again. I am not saying I would pay $200 more for the Colt over say the Aero or even a S&W Sport II which would save me $300 but lets talk real world numbers if we are going to bash Colt.

One thing Colt has going for it that your $700 rifle does not is resale value. I can buy a Colt for $800 shoot 2,000 rounds out of it sell it for $700 in a blink of an eye. I might even be able to get $800 for it. Try selling your $700 rifle for $700.
Old February 19, 2017, 07:40 PM   #56
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
If Colt would drag themselves into the current age, and offer a civilian 16in barreled rifle with a midlength gas system, i would recommend them more often as a default go to for known quality.
I agree.

I was thinking the other day that it seems odd that more manufacturers don't offer a midlength model in their entry level rifles.

Maybe they are afraid of reliability issues ???

It can't cost much more to build a midlength.
Old February 19, 2017, 07:44 PM   #57
WVsig

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.colt.com/Media/Press-Rele...gth-Gas-System

Old February 19, 2017, 08:21 PM   #58
marine6680

Ah yes... But that is a higher end offering, and not a lower cost basic carbine.

If I get a pony rifle, that would be the one I went with.
Old February 19, 2017, 08:34 PM   #59
Kvon2

I saw a comment about .224 Wylde a little further back. I don't know if it come at a higher price but if it does do not bother.

A 5.56 barrel will happily shoot both 5.56 and .223.

Just avoid something chambered specifically in .223, unless that's all you want to shoot.
Old February 19, 2017, 09:35 PM   #60
turtlehead

Outstanding first post by czgunner.

That would have been how the conversation went in 2006.
Old February 19, 2017, 10:22 PM   #61
nukm80

I bought a DPMS AR 10 brand new. After 200+/- rounds It started double tapping every time I shot. So I had to put a trigger in it, and now I've got to fix a leak around the gas block that's causing it to short stroke. I'd go with the Ruger or S&W if price is an issue. I had a Colt M4 in the ARMY, as long as I kept it clean I didn't have any issues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old February 19, 2017, 11:11 PM   #62
ed308

Aero is GTG. But if your prepping, why not buy two ARs instead of one expensive AR? Two ARs are better than one when it comes to Zombies. Aero, PSA and some other brands would be my choice for inexpensive ARs. You can get a decent AR for $700 in todays market. But I would learn to build it as well. If your prepping, your need to know how to fix it when it breaks.

Question for CZGunner: How can one be a member a forum since 2006 and only have 1 post?

Last edited by ed308; February 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old February 20, 2017, 12:26 AM   #63
ShootistPRS

From the Colt website: http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/AR15A4
Aside from a 20 inch barrel that is about as plain as an AR can be.
Suggested retail price $1099.

I got a lot more gun than that for $700!
Old February 20, 2017, 01:40 AM   #64
WVsig

ShootistPRS I personally do not pay MSRP on any guns so what Colt lists on their site is not real world pricing. 2 months ago you could get a Magpul Furnature 6920 for $800. https://www.slickguns.com/product/co...ed?mobile=true

Right now you can get a M4 marked standard for $869. http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.c...le-692-15-1047

Those prices are from a 5 minute search on SlickGuns. I am not saying your $700 is s bad gun or that it wasn't a good deal what I am saying is that Colts are no longer $1000+ guns if you buy online and have a good transfer dealer. Also Colts hold value better than almost any other brand.

By the way what is the make and model of your $700 rifle with scope? Whose scope did it come with?
Old February 20, 2017, 09:22 AM   #65
ed308

Colt's ARs have come down in price over the last couple of years. But I don't care for the carbine gas system and the furniture on that Colt for that price. IMO, you can build a more accurate AR for the same price. For that price, I could easily build a more accurate AR that has a two stage trigger, free floating hand guard with a nitride barrel. Everybody's got opinion. And if the Colt rocks you boat, have at it, shot it and enjoy it.

Now when it comes to 1911's, I would agree when comparing a Colt 1911 to other brands on price alone. So maybe deep down inside, I am a Colt Fan Boy.
Old February 20, 2017, 01:01 PM   #66
ShootistPRS

Quote:
WVSig asked "By the way what is the make and model of your $700 rifle with scope? Whose scope did it come with?"
It is an Anderson lower that was built for me by a local smith. The scope, I think, is a Bushnell? I would have to get it out of the case to be sure. It is so new that I haven't fired it yet with all the snow and ice we have had. I have a few break-in rounds loaded and as soon as I can get to the range I will break it in.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:32 PM   #67
BigBL87

I skimmed the thread, and didn't see much on what exactly you want the rifle to be, so I'm going to guess a jack-of-all-trades gun?

I'd never fault anyone for going with a Colt. That's not the route I went, but the 6920 tends to be considered the standard for your basic carbine. The other big plus is they tend to hold their resale value pretty well if for no other reason than the name.

I personally went with an upper and lower bought separately from Palmetto State Armory. I originally went with their Premium Upper, which has an FN Herstal barrel. I ended up selling it to my father-in-law who wanted to complete his AR and used the money to buy one of their Freedom uppers with nitrided barrel and a free float handguard. By pretty much standards, the Premium upper was a superior product but I actually prefer my Freedom upper. Seems to be more accurate and the free floated handguard takes a variable out of play in my mind as far as accuracy. With either upper, when you add up what I spent the rifle cost me less than $700 either way. The nice thing about "building" that way is you can get a slightly more customized product without actually having to build it yourself.

If you're looking to keep it lightweight (I think I read that?), PSA seems to have alot of uppers at the moment with lightweight setups. I personally wish they had more HBAR uppers, as weight isn't a big deal for me.

Just as an example, you can buy an MOE Blem Lower and this Freedom Stainless Upper (which comes with a BCG and charging handle), and throw on a Magpul rear sight to have a lightweight carbine for less than $500.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...-magazine.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...ng-handle.html

Now, it sounds like you have more money to spend so you could probably afford a nicer setup if you want one, but just wanted to give an example. My main advice with PSA would be to avoid the PTAC line. Their Freedom and Premium lines seem to be GTG though.

Last edited by BigBL87; February 22, 2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old March 5, 2017, 10:55 PM   #68
SamN02

If you are looking for a barrel I would recommend the Ballistic Advantage 223 16" 223 Wylde Hanson Barrel. I purchased one last November and it has been awesome! The whole transaction went good. I received my barrel very quickly with no problems what so ever. I definitely recommend purchasing from Monmouth Reloading.
Old March 9, 2017, 04:52 PM   #69
osbornk

I bought a S&W M & P 15 Sport II this week from my LGS for $569 and after shooting it a couple of times, I am tickled with it and especially the accuracy out of the box. I could have bought it cheaper but I want to support my LGS as this is my 4th gun from them. Accurate, reliable and a lifetime warranty. That is all I need or want. I order two extra 30 round magazines from Grabagun on Monday after I got home and they arrived in the mail today @ $9.99 each. They are duplicates of the OEM one.

This is the first AR15 I have ever looked at or shot. If I had known how they shoot, I would have bought one years ago.
Old March 9, 2017, 05:56 PM   #70
Fishbed77

Quote:
Would I be safe to say Winchester and Remington, Armalite, Ruger, and the other big well known brands are high quality?
No. You have much research to do.

Winchester doesn't make ARs (though their parent company FN does). Remington ARs are re-branded DPMS/Bushmaster rifles (which don't have the best reputation). Ruger makes a decent budget AR, but you can get better spec'd rifles for similar money, and Armalite has been long riding on the name they purchased, rather than offering any exceptional product.

If you want a high quality AR, you are looking at Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LWRC, Noveske, KAC, and a few others.
Old March 12, 2017, 06:53 AM   #71
Ibmikey

Contact Aero for your special needs on a complete rifle, they own Ballistic Advantage barrels and Should be able to custom make your rifle.
Old March 12, 2017, 08:26 AM   #72
NateKirk

I love my Ruger AR556. I've put around 2,000 rounds through the gun, 90% of it Tula steel case, and I've not had a single hiccup. It shoots straight with Hornady target ammunition as well.

I'd avoid anything where the barrel isn't rated for 5.56mm

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old March 12, 2017, 01:55 PM   #73
GCbroker

buy an Aero Precision....... 100% awesome!

SAA offers a great build kit. Very easy to put it together. I'm pretty sure they use Aero Uppers and Ballistic Advantage Barrels. All you need is a lower and sights, add $100.00 and your're shooting.
Great price! I'm 100% sure you will love this rifle.
Here's a link: http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-kit-5...ower-receiver/

Wayne

Last edited by GCbroker; March 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM.