The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 31, 2017, 04:01 PM   #1
k2man

Browning BLR lw stainless 450 or Marlin 1895SBL?

About to pull the trigger on buying a new Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70, and the Browning BLR lightweight stainless with pistol grip in .450 Marlin caught my eye for only a few black walnuts more.

I plan to use this for pig, goat and sheep hunting in brush. Also would like to make it up to Alaska if my bank account will allow to shoot a bear sometime.

I plan to keep it in iron sights. The SBL comes with XS Ghost Ring sights (which helped me decide to move up from the GS to the SBL), the Marlin I'm not familiar with the quality of the sights.

I reload, and checking on brass, looks like the 450 is available - just over 2x the price of the 45-70 brass. Not a big deal to me, but I figure I'll buy at least 100 rounds if not 250 - so the 450 will cost me $50 or $125 more there. Dies and bullets will be the same cost I think.

I want to be able to load light for lots of target shooting, but will load hotter for hunting. I don't plan to try to shoot much heavy lead at hi velocity, but when I make trips to Alaska, I'd like to bear hunt with this gun.

I like a nice smooth trigger, so I'd like to spend a little and get the trigger worked on or replaced - not sure what is possible with either rifle, or what the cost are. Would like to have a nice, smooth 3.5# trigger if possible.

Barrels are 18.5" on the Marlin, 20" on the Browning - either is fine for me.

For looks, I like the Marlin, except for that damn rail - don't know if this can be removed, or if it's really worth it. I love laminated stocks, but the Browning is pretty too. Looks are not so important though, want it to be great shooting and fun to shoot. More interested in accuracy and smooth action.

My $ is burning a hole in my pocket (just found that a broken screen on a $500 tablet computer is covered by my credit card - thank you Citi!), and these rifles are now available new around $900. I want to get this ordered in the next few days, and any opinions are much appreciated!
Old January 31, 2017, 04:25 PM   #2
jmr40

I've owned 3-4 Marlin 45-70's between 1976 and 2006. Not all at the same time, but I've owned and shot a few. I think it is probably the most over rated cartridge out there. I can't think of a single animal I'd hunt where a 30-06 loaded with quality heavy for caliber bullets wouldn't do a better job. And if I were uncomfortable with 30-06 then I'd skip to 375. It'd offer much better performance on large game with less recoil than hot 45-70 or 450 Marlin loads.

But to quote the guy at our local gun shop, "Everybody wants a 45-70...until they get one." He showed me a Marlin 45-70 that he had sold 3 times and took in on trade 3 times. It was for sale for the 4th time and he had made a profit every time.

But lots of guys just have to scratch that itch, I did. If I were inclined to buy another one it'd be the Marlin. The original Marlin 1895 was chambered in 45-70 and while the Browning is a fine gun it is a modern looking design that just doesn't seem right chambered in 45-70.

Winston Churchill
Old January 31, 2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Husqvarna

BLR ALL DAY

it is just such a handy accurate rifle

the bolt literarry runs on tracks, some say that the trigger is bad but mine is crisp

it is the rifle I grab most often, even thou it is just 308.

you determined on 450?

the hunting I have seen of Alaska is sometimes long range-ish so maybe a 300wm?

and if you are shooting running pigs the more velocity the more at the pigs you can aim.
Old January 31, 2017, 04:42 PM   #4
dgludwig

My pick would be the Winchester Model 1886 "Extra Light Weight" (Miroku repo) but you'd have to find one used. Of the two you're considering, I'd go for the more traditional looking Marlin with lots of history behind it. The Browning might be a better rifle in terms of workmanship and finish but I could never warm up to its ungainly looks (in my subjective eyes).
Old January 31, 2017, 07:59 PM   #5
k2man

Thanks for your thoughts JMR, I've read that post elsewhere here on TFL. I think that's not true for a majority of 45-70 owners though. The draw that I think most of us have is that the 45-70 can be loaded light and still be very accurate, and can be loaded up to blast thru the skull of a brown bear. Versatility and accuracy. Just because it shoots slower than a 30-06 doesn't mean it can't be shot as accurate in the shorter ranges. If I'm going to hunt long distances, I'll take my 270. I want a 45-70 because I've read a lot of post from people, and know some that own them, and they enjoy shooting them. No one gun can be everything, but I think the 45-70 has a lot of versatility - and in a lever action, it's fun and useful for fast repetitive shots.

Tags
1895sbl , 45-70 , 450 , blr , stainless