The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 16, 2001, 05:43 PM   #1
Jhp147

Uvex Genesis Product Review

I recently discoverd a good deal on a product and wanted to let others in on it. If you are looking for a shooting glasses, consider the Uvex Genesis as described at www.uvex.com/genesis2.html I saw an ad, and noticed that they seem to be quite a bit better looking than run of the mill "safety glasses," but at a price closer to that type....under $15 bucks, and for $4 more, toss in a second set of lenses. I use and love Gargoyles (clear or green tint/mirror as conditions dictate) but I had to give these a try. Since I'm not a gun writer, I paid for a pair (GT Distributors in Austin, TX) and started wearing them all the time, using the "Expresso" colored lenses as sunglasses. Again, they look fine to me, but this is strictly fashion opinion. The tint blocks glare as well as or better than my Gargoyles. The comfort meets or exceeds. I switched to clear lenses for shooting. The lens switch was a trick until I figured it out....take off from the center first. The nose piece is very comfortable, much cooler than the wrap around Protective Optics(I forgot which model name) set I have, no sweaty nose. As good as Gargoyles. Lenses? I notced a bit of distortion in the clear lenses. None is evident in Gargoyles, but they cost 4X more, unless you got a $25 dollar pair that Dillion had on for a while. It went unnoticed after I had the glasses on a few seconds, so it must not be severe. Earpieces allow a very good seal, maybe better than the metal ones on some glasses, possibly due to flexibility. The rearmost part of the earpiece pressed against my head behind my ear uncomfortably until I figured out how to adjust my muffs forward a bit. I think that next time, I will change the length of the 4 position adjustable length ear pieces and get that resolved. I also noticed some heat build up behind the lenses which is never present with the Gargoyles. This only showed up while wearing the muffs at at HOT indoor range. Adjusting the tilt of the lenses out a "click" to allow upward air venting solved this. The lenses have three different degees of tilt. Bottom line, I think that these are a really good deal. Gargoyles has been more than kind to me as far as comfort and excellent factory warranty service, but these $15 glasses are a darn good deal, I think.
Standard Disclaimer: Nope, don't own stock or profit from purchase or use, just spreading the word on a good deal. YMMV