The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 11:43 AM   #76
BoomieMCT

Whoops - already responded.
Old April 11, 2013, 12:14 PM   #77
ScotchMan

This thread is from back in July, but I can provide an update since it seems to have resurfaced.

I purchased a used 4" 617, and kept it until about two weeks ago. I probably put 500 rounds or so through it. I found it similarly difficult to keep clean, but that seems to be the case with any revolver.

I had a Hi-Viz red fiber optic front site professionally installed in place of the ramp. This significantly improved the site picture for me. Here it is:

Back in January, a Ruger 22/45 Lite caught my eye at the LGS, and it ended up following me home. I fell in love with it. I put Ruger's after market fiber optic front and rear sites on it (made by a different manufacturer but sold through their site. Got them cheaper from Midway). Green rear and red front, makes it really pop.

The gun is a much closer simulation of my other semi-autos, and a lot easier to reload with the McFadden reloader I picked up. I found myself always packing that along in the range bag, and the 617 getting no love.

I am generally loathe to sell any gun, as I have regretted most of the sales I've made. So I sat on the 617 for a while and thought about it, but eventually decided that it was a lot of money just sitting in the safe not getting used. I couldn't really think of a scenario where I would take the 617 over the Ruger. Possibly for shooting CB Longs and Shorts, but I generally use a rifle for that anyway, and it's not the end of the world if I have to rack the slide to cycle the gun.

So, I let the 617 go, and traded it towards another revolver that I have more use for. While I owned it, I had no complaints with the 617, other than the difficulty in loading those tiny .22 rounds into all 10 of those tiny chambers. The McFadden system really makes it a breeze to load and shoot all day. I think if I was doing it again, and absolutely wanted a revolver, I would probably go for a M63 or an SP101 just because they already have the fiber optic site there.

Hopefully this isn't one I regret letting go of!

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old April 14, 2013, 09:24 AM   #78
22-rimfire

If you like revovlers or grow to like revolvers more, I suspect you will regret selling the M617. The 3" M63 is a nice little 22 revolver and I want one. Just never see them... ever in gunshops. Your M617 was a better gun than the Ruger SP-101 in my opinion.
Old April 14, 2013, 01:04 PM   #79
salvadore

22-R may be right about regretting the sale. I shoot my S&W .22 revolvers a lot. Las time I benched the 17 I got a 1 5/8" 25yd group That's from a guy whose eyesight sucks.

Old April 14, 2013, 06:33 PM   #80
ScotchMan

I've regretted selling/trading almost every gun I've let go. For some reason, I think this one was a good choice. The semi-auto .22 just does what I want it to so much better.

The M617 is also a premium, high dollar gun, and while I normally am more than OK spending to get the best, the 617 was not getting the attention or love it deserved. A Charter Arms Pathfinder (as recommended to me earlier in the thread), probably would have accomplished the task just as well.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member