The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 16, 2012, 08:49 AM   #26
noorked

wideners.com still has it in stock.
Old May 17, 2012, 02:00 PM   #27
Pond, James Pond

I handled the CZ 858 today (I believe that is the same rifle, just the European name). It looks initially like an AK, until you look at it in closer detail.

On the shelf, it looks like a toy!! Really small, but up closer, up against the sholder it feels good. Solid, weighty, but not heavy. The sights line up naturally.

It seems a little rough around edges: the stock is plasticky (it is plastic, after all...), but pull the slide back and it looks very neat inside.

On top of that I think it is cheaper here than in the US!!
First time for everything!!

If I get any rifles, one will be a .22, the other will be this CZ.
Hopefully this will be the case in September!!
Old May 18, 2012, 07:41 AM   #28
fext

Quote:
I handled the CZ 858 today (I believe that is the same rifle, just the European name).
There are two civilian approved semiauto Sa vz. 58, one is CZ 858 Tactical, other is CZ2003 Hermex. Hermex was historically the first one made by independent manufacturer, Tactical is CZUB made.
Old May 18, 2012, 01:24 PM   #29
globemaster3

Armoredman, thanks for the pics and first-hand review! I almost bought a couple of Century built ones when J&G had them for $350 last year. Still kicking myself now for not doing it.

I am getting ready to do some work with the Czeck military. I'll be keenly interested in their issued 58s.
Old May 19, 2012, 05:04 PM   #30
armoredman

Ask fast - they're finally being replaced with CZ-UB BREN 805s.
Couldja see if they have some size tall fat guy desert cammies? I like their pattern.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:41 PM   #31
fext

Quote:
Ask fast - they're finally being replaced with CZ-UB BREN 805s.
So far bad news - a lot of failures to extract experienced in Afghanistan. And the spokeswoman from dept. of defense said "I don't have an information that a malfunction of an assault rifle would endanger a life of an operator, anyway every soldier is issued with a pistol he can use". If this is supposed to be a joke it's indeed a very bad one.
Hope they will fix the issue soon... since the design of the rifle is promising.

In the meantime, what not to like on good old vz. 58. I just do like the uncut barrel version. Enjoy the show and sorry if it already was here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSLV9...eature=related
Old June 8, 2012, 12:34 AM   #32
Blindmike

The best overlook weapon of all time. VZ-58

Of all the "assault" weapons we can choose from one overlook for so long has been the VZ-58. What more could you want in a weapon. It has a round known for being hard hitting the 7.62x39mm. A short stroke gas system that is just now showing up on AR15s to keep them cool and solve jamming problems. The gun is lite to carry all day or night as the case might be. It is very compact with the folding stock and not a big package by no means when it has a fixed stock. The gun has a very natural point of aim when shouldered with lite recoil, unlike its AK counter-ego.
The VZ-58 is very accurate on par with the AR15 IMHO. Parts for the gun are now easy to get and at prices within reach of most shooters. The aftermarket has started to take notice of the gun and some very nice items are out and more are on the way. As someone who owns an AR15, FAL, FS2000, and a VZ-58 along with other guns I have found the VZ-58 as one of the guns I most enjoy.
I think you will find the merits of this weapon are very balanced for it intended purpose. Go out and get one today, you will be glad you did.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:45 AM   #33
armoredman

fext, you're saying the BREN 805 is experiencing failures? Could you link to that report please? I am curious. I want a semi-auto only version made here in the US someday soon!

I agree it can get hot, so a foregrip of some kind is almost required.
Old June 9, 2012, 07:43 AM   #34
fext

Quote:
What more could you want in a weapon.
Amen to that, Blindmike, and everything you say.

Quote:
Could you link to that report please?
I will, but it's in Czech.

Original czech TV spot:
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/dom...na-nove-pusky/

News article (the reported issue is failure to extract):
http://technet.idnes.cz/ceska-armada..._vojenstvi_vse

The following article itself is an analysis about M4 jamming in Wanat, but there is a grunt's first hand experience with 805 BREN in the discussion under the article (Ivo 7. 5. 2012 - 12:56). Looks like that for many people it's vz. 58 over BREN.
http://www.onwar.eu/2009/10/14/za-fi...#comment-18550

Note that I myself like the idea behind 805 and I believe that they will fix the issue asap, and 805 will be as rugged and reliable as vz. 58. Till then I'm happy with AK47 reliability and power and M4 accuracy packed in one small lightweight and cheap package called vz. 58.
Old June 10, 2012, 01:35 AM   #35
Ignition Override

Bird3897: You seem to have excluded the Mini 30 from your choices.
Just in case you have not: my somewhat-used Mini 30 only consumed modern Russian ammo.

It had a ftf maybe once in sixty rds., just on the first pin strike. A stovepipe misfeed happened once in maybe forty-eighty rounds with a good aftermarket magazine.
The only reason I sold it was that the front post sight was not nearly as thin as what many rifles have, and the rear aperture was fixed.

If the Vz-58 is still at a similar price, that is a very appealing rifle. Luckily Century does not assemble them.
Old June 10, 2012, 03:47 AM   #36
NWCP

I really enjoy my VZ58. It's lightweight, reliable, well made and more than adequate as a battle rifle out to 200 yards. Another thing I like is that it's not an AK. The Czechs know how to build guns.
Old September 7, 2012, 12:35 AM   #37
Blindmike

Why go to the BREN?

Lets look at a basic fact. If you take the VZ-58's history into account you find it has been a trouble free assault weapon. Now, look at the BREN. Here we have a new weapon using a NATO round and it has a major problem with being reliable. Now, why spend big money the Czech Republic doesn't have when they could produce the VZ-58 in 5.56, as already being done and call it a day. Add a gob of 1913 rails and more plastic body parts and you got a modern firearm.
I understand why the US military is looking into a new battle rifle, all the M-16 needs is a piston system and a 6.8 SPC round, they want something with more long range power and also more reliable. The Czech's are not in that situation and therefore have no real need to change from what works to what does not.
Old September 7, 2012, 03:18 AM   #38
Ignition Override

NWCP: The Czechs must be among the best. Event the pre-WW2 Czech 8mm Mauser has been considered to be of a quality equal to the German 8mm Mausers. Don't forget about the very effective Let-39 Trainer Jet.

But I might not tell my three friends who are from the actual Krupp town of Essen (Nordrhein-W.), West or East Berlin.

Last edited by Ignition Override; September 7, 2012 at 03:23 AM.