The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 14, 2001, 08:05 PM   #26
hksigwalther

Hmm. I think there is someone in FNFAL.com that either is a member or goes there frequently. I'll have to ask over there (if the site is back up from maintenance).

Engineer, what are the requirements for Zeppelin Rifle Club? And when did Stonewall allow rifle (centerfire)? Back when I was a member when it was only $100/yr, they only allowed .22lr rifle maximum and no 12ga slugs.
Old February 14, 2001, 09:25 PM   #27
hksigwalther

Here's the Tusco link

At FNFAL.com

http://www.fnfal.com/forums/Forum9/HTML/000097.html

Will post there for more info.
Old February 14, 2001, 09:28 PM   #28
Engineer

I have my little Tusco card somewhere at home and I think it either has directions or the address ... I'll have to look for it when I get home from work tonight.

Zeppelin's only real restriction is that you have to be recommended by a member. You basically need a member with you to get in and shoot there as a guest. After someone comes with you as a guest two or three times, they expect your guest to sign up as a member. I believe the fees are something like $150 for the first year ($100 initiation + $50 dues) and then $50 a year thereafter. After getting a member signature on your application card, you just have to go through a basic safety course with one of the range officers (they're sticklers there for safety, which, IMHO, is a good thing) where you basically show them you know how to carry a gun up to the firing line, can shoot without putting holes in yourself, and that's about it. Then I think they go through the list of new applicants every board meeting which happens about once a month. Unfortunatley, I live far enough away that I really have to plan a trip out there otherwise, I think I would take advantage of the facilities more.

As for Stonewall, I think high-power centerfile rifles are allowed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. But at $15 an hour, it's pretty pricey. I've also shot my 12 ga there, but I don't remember if the no slugs rule applied (I was only shooting birdshot at the time). I believe membership is now up to something like $200 or $225 a year (yikes!)

Not much else up around here except Big Bore in Eastlake and On Target in Lorain (unless anybody knows of any others).

Old February 14, 2001, 10:07 PM   #29
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Whatever you guys decide, I'll definitely make an effort to be there.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old February 15, 2001, 11:04 AM   #30
3 gun

Tusco

Getting to the rifle club is easy. From I-77 get to US 250 East. On US 250 the exit you want is Midvale. Turn left (north into town) at the end of the ramp and follow the signs. Tusco is a members only club unless you are attending an open shoot,like the plate match on March 25th. Members are able to bring one guest to the range and they must stay together. Don't know how hard it would be to schedule a TFL members day or cost, but I can find out if need be. Great club,great people. Well worth the trip if you have the time.
Old February 15, 2001, 03:45 PM   #31
falconer

Ok, so do we all meet at Tusco for the plate shoot the 25th, or try a different location? Maybe just everyone meet at Pro Gun or Stone Hedge or something?
Old February 15, 2001, 06:09 PM   #32
Engineer

Center of Mass

I'm curious to see how many people we have here that are interested and where a central meeting area might be - maybe Akron or a little further south??? Sundays are usually out for me unless you guys plan on staying later into the afternoon/early evening.

Old February 15, 2001, 06:54 PM   #33
1S1K

Falconer,
Do you have any info on the plate shoot.
What can we use? time? Number of rounds? Distance? Any outher good info?

The olny day I can't make it is March 6th.
Old February 15, 2001, 09:21 PM   #34
falconer

Ok,

So far we have me, dave, engineer, 3gun, 1s1k, hksigwalther, RAE, rvb, plateshooter and AK2KX(if he feels like making the drive from detriot).

Akron seems like a central location and Tusco wouldn't be bad either.

So, do we all want to attend the plate shoot on the 25 (engineer can't make it then)? Or shall we meet at a range in the Akron area on the 24th?

Maybe one of the guys from Tusco could post rules, times, etc... for the plate shoot.
Old February 15, 2001, 11:33 PM   #35
Engineer

Some Tusco pics

Hey guys,

One of the people I shoot with took some photos of the Tusco range and the different courses they have. I'm not sure if he wanted me linking directly to his page, so I copied some of the photos and captions and placed them on my photopoint page - you can get to the here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...396&a=11596441

As far as rifles, anything goes ... though most people had AR's there .. but there was everything there including people with bolt guns. You can take a look at the course in some of the pictures. My first outing with my AR took me 20 rounds to take out all the targets.

My only qualm with Sunday mornings is that I have church obligations so I can't make it out until probably early afternoon if I have to drive down to Tusco. The range is really a nice place - I was drooling when I first saw it.

Old February 15, 2001, 11:40 PM   #36
Engineer

Costs...

Oh yeah, when I went to Tusco - it was a fun shoot and if I remember correctly, it was either $1 a run or $5 to shoot all day at the rifle stations and $1 a run at the pistol course.

BTW, the other dates for the shoots are (these are all Sundays and subject to change because I am just copying down the disclaimer on the page they gave me with the dates )

April 22
May 20
June 24
July 15
August 12
September 9
September 23
October 21
November 4
Old February 16, 2001, 01:48 AM   #37
3 gun

Tusco rules

My guess is that the 3/25/01 shoot will be a "fun" match.Shoot whatever you have against anyone you'd like.

The rules at Tusco during all matches... 1) Safety first! If your not sure of what is being asked of you or why,sound off. The 4 basic rules are followed on all ranges. Load only on the firing line and only on command. Eyes and ears are a good idea at all times anywhere on the grounds.

For timed rifle matches the shoots are broken up into classes and your times are base within that group only. Class 1: Big bore,box fed,iron sights;ie M1a AR-10 AK 47. Class 2: Small bore,box fed,iron sights;ie AR-15 Mini-14 M1 carbine and pistol calibers. Class 3:Top loaded,iron sights;SKS M1 Garand. Class 4: any of the above with other than iron sights. Class 5:Box fed full auto. Class 6: Belt fed full auto. Bolt gun run sometimes as a side match. No AP is the only ammo restriction that I've heard.

The race plate set up is run man against man. 6 plates,3 bowling pin shaped,3 appox 8" round. Can be shot with pistols, shotguns, 22 rifle or full auto in pistol calibers. First man down with his plates wins,loser pays a dollar. No slugs or 00.

The last course that runs is an "IDPA" style shoot. Pistols and pistol caliber full auto. A holster and ammo carriers are helpful but not required. 3 10 round mags or 4 speed loaders will cover the course if you do your part. Often a combo of plates and paper with catch thrown in,IE shooting on the move or carrying out your DUMMY pardner.

It is a family club so kids ARE welcome and shoot free during most if not all fun matches. They must have eyes and ears and stay with an adult.We have a snack bar on the grounds. A small mall with dinning avaible is 10 minutes away.

Old February 16, 2001, 07:11 AM   #38
plateshooter

Hey 3 gun, just got a letter from Marc the range officer. Seems that all of the shoots will be fun shoots this year, and all shoots will have all three ranges going. Should be another great year. See ya on the 25th.
Old February 17, 2001, 07:57 AM   #39
Hal

Sunday looks like a wash for me at this point, but Saturday's doable for me. "Grandma Winchester" (my wife) usually has to work Saturdays, so I hope you guys appreciate the brow beating I'll get for going shooting without her

Maybe we can break it into Saturday at Pro Gun and Sunday at Tusco? The reason I suggest Pro is that they allow rifles all the time. Plus they are pretty handy to the freeway. 25 yards with a rifle is kinda bad, but better than nothing I guess.

Old February 17, 2001, 11:08 AM   #40
hksigwalther

Is Pro Gun the shop that purchased the former auto dealership property next door and turned it in to an indoor range? I don't frequent Akron gun shops much.

These Tusco shoot sound very nice.
Old February 17, 2001, 01:21 PM   #41
Engineer

A saturday shoot sounds good to me. Just lemme know.

Hope you guys made it out to Medina today. It was pretty crowded - at around 9:20-9:30, there was still a huge line of people waiting to get in and it was really packing up in the aisles. I met up with Plateshooter and did the rounds. Got out pretty much unscathed - got the Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure that I had wanted to get along with a case for my Makarov and 200 9mm bullets. My only "unexpected" purchase was a CRKT Urban Shark - but wow, it's so much smoother than the usual $6 no-name knives that I pick up from time to time. I think I'm gonna get spoiled.

Old February 18, 2001, 06:58 AM   #42
Hal

Ron V.,
Yep. Pro is right off the Second Street exit of Rt 8 going South. If you go past the 2nd St. exit heading South you can see them from the freeway right next to the car dealership. Their range is excellent, since it's almost brand new.

RE: The Medina show: The aisles are way too narrow there and that bldg. is getting too small to support the crowd ever since Berea closed.

The range at Tusco really looks impressive! I'm going to have to look into a membership there. I love the Dover/New Philly area. It seems like an island of normalcy. Really decent folks down there, almost like an entirely different State. I had to spend some time there last fall before the election, and bragged about how I was an hour's drive away from the nearest Gore-Lieberman yard sign when I called into the shop.

Engineer,
Movin on up to CRKT . Next thing we know you'll be lookin at Benchmades or Microtech.
Old February 18, 2001, 11:19 AM   #43
falconer

Ok,

Why don't we meet Saturday at noon at pro gun. The plate shoot starts around 10-11am sunday. We can meet down there at 10am. If anyone in the Akron area wants to drive down together let me know and we can pick a meeting place to leave from.

I managed to escape from medina with only spending $20. I'm rather proud of my self control.
Old February 18, 2001, 06:10 PM   #44
ERRainman

ok guys, I'm jealous of the fact that I won't be up there visiting relatives until the week before Easter (in April). If anybody wants to throw together a day(or afternoon) that week, e-mail me at the address I listed with TFL and I'll get back with you. I'd love to do more than just go Walleye fishing for one day that week. I know my brother-in-law is an avid shooter and may be up for some sort of trip, so it'll probably be a couple of us.

ERRainman
Old February 18, 2001, 09:26 PM   #45
1S1K

That is a weekend that I have my kids but i will still make it. I will probably bring them down. My wife has friends in Dover she my go and see. If you are going to try and get to geather on saterday let me know I will run down after work.
Old February 19, 2001, 06:14 PM   #46
falconer

Ok, So who is going to Pro Gun and who is going to Tusco?

I'm going to both.
Old February 19, 2001, 06:57 PM   #47
plateshooter

I'll be going to Tusco.
Old February 19, 2001, 08:32 PM   #48
hksigwalther

I'll go to both.
Old February 19, 2001, 08:47 PM   #49
Hal

Pro on Saturday.

Really want to do both though. Maybe next time.
Old February 19, 2001, 09:28 PM   #50
1S1K

I will do both