The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 17, 2006, 08:39 PM   #1
bmanoftheyear

30-06 first hunting rifle

i want to hunt and have 3 choices in 30-06 in my price range A savage,a remington710 and a mossberg atr.which would you get and why and if not any why not.I have shot some really big rifles before i can't remember the name but it blew my hat off my head and my shoulder was bruised for a weak and i couldn't hear for 3 days.So i know i can handle an 06.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:16 PM   #2
stercrazy

And the game is on!

Of the 3 rifles you are looking at I would pick the Savage first. If it is a newer model from Savage it will have the accu trigger. Even if it is the older model I think I would still get the Savage.

The 710 is not a bad rifle and several people I know have them and have gotten good use of them. One indiviual was able to get about a 1 1/2 inch group with his 710 in 30-06. I know no one with the Mossberg and while it is not a bad rifle. I don't have any personal experience with one or know anyone with one that has given me a result good or bad. So remember opions are like a particular body part! Everyone has one some people are one!

Which ever one you get go practice and have fun!
Old March 17, 2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Eghad

I have a Browning in 30.06. It is a good choice for a Hunting Cartridge as you can find it in a lot of smaller stores in a lot of different places. I think out of the three good rifles you chose I would go with Savage as my first choice also.

NRA Life Member
Old March 17, 2006, 09:24 PM   #4
bmanoftheyear

how far of a shot can you take with the 06 savage?I doubt i will be past 250-300 yards since i probably can't see that far.I will use my sks for groundhogs and praire dogs.
what size scope will i need at that range also for the 06.my local dicks sporting goods has some bushnell scopes pretty cheap, i doubt remember the magnification on them but if you can give me a clue of what i need i can check them out and see if they work or not.I will find out what model savage the 06 is
Old March 17, 2006, 09:25 PM   #5
AdamGrier_atc

I would also go with the Savage. My brother has one, and loves it. I have shot it, and it shoots almost as well as my Model 70. We looked at the 710 when we were looking at the Savage, and it felt cheap to me. I felt like I was holding a toy.

Good luck!

Adam
Old March 17, 2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Wisby

Even though I really like Remington, I'm thinking about buying a Mag gun soon, 7mm or Better probally a .338, the gun will only be for Elk or if I ever get the chance Moose, and it's probally gonna be a Savage.

I've never had anything against them, never really perfered them but I have toyed with one before picked it up shouldered it, racked the action and whatnot and even though I don't think any of the 3 you listed will "Blow up on me" or that one will be more accurate than the other, lets face it I gotta hit a 8 inch Circle at 100 yards and i'm pretty sure all 3 rifles will print in a 3 inch circle just fine at 100 yards and will probally do alot better than that. I'm just trying to be realistic...

I just don't want to spend the extra money on a Rifle that has all the little Features that get me all Star Eyed. I want a Gun that fits me well, that I feel comfortable shooting and that I am confindent with the Firearms abilitys (Since I do not Own one yet I don't have a Name for her). I just don't want a Mossberg Rifle, It kinda seems wrong, when I think Mossberg I think 500... When I think Remington I think 700 and 1100 or 1187.... When I think Savage I think decent Cheap rifle and I wonder if that accu trigger is has good as they say... Also I have never heard ANYTHING bad about the new Savage's with the Exception of:
.... How good can a rifle that cheap really be ....
Right now my only response to that is: "well I've never heard anything bad about em, beside they where Cheap, which is a Good thing in my book..."

So I wish you luck in your buying experience make sure you pick all 3 Guns up and see which one feels best to you.

EDIT: Editing to Include Scope Info...
SCOPE
I would go with a Bushnell Elie 3200 in either a 3x9x40 or a 4x12x40 depending on how much magnifaction you think you will need out at 250-300 yards which is a duable shot with a 3x9x40 and practice. Of course the best Scope in the world won't be worth crap if you don't know how to shoot your gun and don't practice with it. From most of the people I talk to 3x9x40 is the standard hunting scope. I zero mine at 150 yards but normally end up with a 75 yard shot and have to aim a little low. I like 3x has my low just because it let's me see everything in front of me, when I throw the gun up.
The cheapest place I have found these scopes is this place :
http://www.durhamoutdoorsupply.com/b...ope/e3200.html
They have good service, free shipping and when you call them someone picks up the phone. I would call them also before you order just to make sure the scope is in stock... Mine was and it arrived in 3 days.

I hope this helps Once again good luck in you buying venture
Old March 17, 2006, 11:09 PM   #7
elkman06

While I agree that the Savage is a good rifle, I would suggest checking at your local Sp Whs for a Tikka T3. Imported by Baretta. About the best $500ish dollar gun out there in my opinion. I have the Savage 110 chambered in 300WinMag and I do like it. I puchased a Tikka last year and am very, very impressed with it. Fully floated barrel, adjustable 2-4lb trigger and the lite version I bought weighs just over 6lbs. Worth a look for anyone. My .02.....
Elkman
Old March 17, 2006, 11:41 PM   #8
bmanoftheyear

i have a 22 marlin lr also that is scoped but that won't do crap for deer.I think i'll try my yugo sks but i'll have to be close since i doub't i can hit a deer past 100 yards with iron sights.If the round does good i'll just buy a scope for it.Does anyone know the effective range of the sks
Old March 18, 2006, 12:16 AM   #9
stercrazy

If you get that Savage at your local Wal Mart it comes with a 3X9X40 scope on it. Yes it is not a high dollar scope, but it will work. (I have a 3 shot group that I carry with me shot with my 7 short mag with the orginal 3X9X40 Simmons scope, with the origional 6 1/2 lb trigger pull off of sand bags at 100 Meters, the group measures .116 center to center.) You can replace the scope latter as the billfold will allow. You are still talking depending on local taxes under $400.00. The actual cost of the combo I don't remember off the top of my head.

I have never been able to measure some of my long shots with my Ruger #1 in 06 as I am not capable of walking from one side of a canyon to the other through the air,so I don't know the exact yardage! I have taken and harvested deer at some long ranges with the 06 and it has yet to let me down.

I have found that most people can't guess or estimate yardage worth a HOOT to put it mildly.

Your best bet is find the rifle you like that you can afford and have fun with it. In the end it is a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing and whatever you choose that is in your budget. Though I will give you a lot of credit for picking the venerable old, tested and true 30-06.
Old March 18, 2006, 12:57 AM   #10
bmanoftheyear

the kit price is only$300.should only br $330 or so out the door.i also heard i can get a rifle for about $200 that would do the job, does anyone know of any other caleber i can use for deer,yotes,praire,and groundhogs?
and is it not right to use an sks for deer?i can try it iron sited first and if it works just get a scope so i know i'll be dead on everytime
Old March 19, 2006, 09:59 AM   #11
Whitworth

It depends

When I was young, short and light of weight, I avoided 30-06's like a plague.

The last thing a young hunter needs is macho, macho. You need a rifle that YOU can handle accurately. Not one I can handle or what someone else on this board uses.

That said, there are a number of rifles that make an acceptable deer rifle in 30-06.

For years I used a lever action rifle, where shots never exceeded 100 yards. And I still remember the first heavy recoil on my small and light frame, from that 30-30 Winchester.

Like I said, it depends.
Old March 19, 2006, 10:49 AM   #12
Harley Quinn

The 06 is a good round

But as others mention, it does kick and it can be pretty brutal if light.

I would get it in a bull barrel and good cushion at the shoulder end. That extra weight out on the end steadies the gun because it makes your muscle's work.
Plus it wil reduce the recoil, stay with the 165 grain for most of your shooting, good round.
Of course you can change to the heavier or lighter bullets, that is the nice thing about the 06, so versatile.

HQ
Old March 19, 2006, 10:57 AM   #13
Rich Lucibella
Staff

+1 for the Savage, of those 3 choices.
Rich
Old March 19, 2006, 11:47 AM   #14
FirstFreedom

Savage!
Old March 19, 2006, 11:54 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From reading numerous articles and TFL/THR comments, the 710 is for those who sight in, go kill a deer, and then don't shoot again until the next season. It's just not built for day-to-day use.

Fit of any rifle or shotgun is important. You should be able to mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed, and when you open your eyes you're looking right down the centerline above the barrel or right through the sights/scope. That means the stock is right for your body.

Recoil when hunting is felt a lot less than when shooting from a bench rest. Your body gives with the recoil and it isn't really any big deal. Use extra padding at the bench; nobody needs the theme song, "The Masochism Tango". There's no prize for bruising yourself.

I was 16, 5-10 and about 130 pounds at most when I first got started with an '06. The steel butt plate of that old 1917 danged near beat me to death, in summertime with a tee-shirt. I cured that with a Bishop stock and a decent butt pad, and I've never worried since.

Art
Old March 19, 2006, 09:15 PM   #16
UniversalFrost

alternative calibers for deer

Hi, After reading yours and some of the other replies I would first recommend going to a hunters safety course (no offense, but it doesn't sound like you or some of the others have that much experience around guns or hunting). Also, it never hurts to go down to the gun shop (not walmart, kmart, etc..) or shooting range and pick the brains of those out there. You might also want to take note of some of the rigs that other shooters have.

When searching for a good readily available (good chance of finding at a gas station or baitshop if you foreget your ammo when on a hunting trip) caliber that is good on deer/coyotes/prairie dogs/varmint I would go with .243 or 270 . A lot of people will say that a .243 is too small, but I started out with a .243 and had my gunsmith work up some 95 grain barnes x bullet loads that will drop a good sized mule deer or large white tail at 200+ yards. Another good caliber is .308 . It is readily availiable and a very good "middle" load.

As far as the rifles are concerned I would not go with any of them. I would try and get my hands on a Remington 700 (not the new SPS's which are poor at best compared to the 2004 models) or a Savage Model 10FP-LE2A . If you are going for cheap and don't plan on shooting much I would agree on a remington 710 (combo package with bushnell scope can be gotten for around 350 -400). Also, don't believe the hype over barrel break in check out the link http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=12582 . Gale McMillian who is arguably the best long range shooter and maker of match quality rifles and accesories goes into length detail about how using abrasives and other items actually can ruin a barrel. There are also comments from some armalite techies as well.

One piece of advice, never, ever sell your guns or reloading equipment, unless it is a piece of junk or you are starving. I sold my first deer rifle (custom job match quality Mauser 98 in .243) when I was young and dumb for about 500 bucks. I recently managed to get it back, but ended up paying over 2500. Believe me, you will regret it.. Thank god my parents bought all my other guns off me when I was in my "fast cars and faster women" years. It was much cheaper to buy those back.
Old March 26, 2006, 10:58 PM   #17
intruder

Maybe go smaller

A good freind of mine started hunting a few years ago he started out with a gorgeous golden eagle in 30-06 his brother gave him. This guys 6-2 and goes about 220lb truck driver. He shot as his first deer and missed next deer he saw he misssed. The next year he missed 3 deer. He didn't practice with the gun much i took him to the range and the gun was dead on. I did notice he did have a flinch. I suggest he try a 6mm rem i loaned him, I also told him to go out and shoot ground hogs with it everychance he got That year he got his first buck and one every year since. He wound up buying the 6mm from me and is deadly with it.

Beaware the man who shoots one gun

Last edited by intruder; March 26, 2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old March 27, 2006, 02:04 PM   #18
Desertfox

Savage, if those are the choices.
Yes, i have a problem with the 22l and the sks.
Your local game warden will have many problems in AZ with the 22l and maybe the sks. I am not educated on the sks but I have never seen a trophy deer pic with the smiling hunter holding one.
Check local laws concerning caliber requirements. Go to the hunter's safety course. Practice practice practice with whatever rifle you choose.
Know your limitations on yardage. Know the regulations. Have fun.
Old March 27, 2006, 02:35 PM   #19
jhgreasemonkey

I really like my savage 110 in 7mm rem. mag. And love the 30-06. Inexpensive rifle but good quality.