The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2015, 03:55 PM   #1
JJ45

Sierra 150 FP (30-30)

Wondering what you guys think of this bullet.

I accumulated a couple of boxes during the last "panic" and wondered how they perform on deer inside of 100 yards.

If you have experience loading this bullet for deer, I would appreciate any opinions...Thanks, JJ
Old December 24, 2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Kosh75287

Sierra has a long-standing reputation for making superb projectiles in almost every caliber. I would think that this part of their line-up performs no less well.
You may not find a great any rave reviews about this projectile, but also consider that there are few or no complaints about it failing in use. Sometimes, THIS is as good an indicator of a projectile's efficacy as a list full of reviews.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old December 24, 2015, 04:44 PM   #3
kerreckt

Before, I started shooting almost exclusively hand cast bullets in my 30-30s, this Sierra 150 gr. flat nose item#2000 was my favorite. I still have about half a box I will eventually load and shoot. Devastating on deer around 100 yds. Last one was this bullet and 32gr.(I think) of 748. Other, than my hand cast ones, it is "the" bullet for the 30-30 round and lever action, IMHO.
Old December 24, 2015, 08:11 PM   #4
JJ45

Thanks for the replies

I have also had good luck with Sierras but all in 30-06 and 300 Savage...I started loading for the 30-30 when my son turned 12. I got him a 336 and he shot 3 bucks with it in consecutive years but lost interest in deer hunting then he got interested again, "kids"!

The bullet I loaded at that time was the Speer 170 Hot Core FP. For some reason I couldn't find any when he got back into it and found the Sierra's. I'll go with you guys advice and give them a try, I also have two Marlins but have not taken them out hunting yet...Thanks again...JJ